What's new

Headlight Misting Up / Condensation on 2007 Plate

Sphinx

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2i CTDi EX
Hi,

I have done a search but all the info seems be based on prefacelift models - and getting the dealer to install clips etc. Mine is a 2007 which apparantly should have this problem fixed.

My passenger side headlight seems to mist up quite bad - putting on the lights doesn't clear it either.

Are there any vent tubes or holes in the headlight that I can check to see if they are not blocked?

Failing that - how easy it to take the headlight out to re-seal them?

Thanks.

mine does it a little in wet weather.
have you got hids fitted if so make sure the crommet is nice and tight.

I resealed mine (pre facelift) and it was pretty easy, Just a matter of removing the headlight and heating the seal with a heat gun (a hairdryer would probably do) The Yanks bake there's in the oven but there is no way it will fit in a conventional UK oven. Those greedy Yanks must have mega big ovens.

Just use a flat head screwdriver to prize at the seal while heating it and pull it apart when you can get your hand in. It is fiddly and time consuming but definitely doable for the DIY'er.
I resealed mine with black silicone and it has been fine since. If you can, Get some of the clips from Honda as i used mine to hold the 2 parts of the headlight together while the silicone went off. About the only use for them if i am being honest. How they expect them to reseal the lights is beyond me.
If you don't already have a HID kit installed its a good time to do it.

Dont have HID's fitted.

But unless they were factory fitted (i.e. headlamp wash & self leveling also installed) I heard they will fail the MOT test under new regulations.

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only ***ume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

How do you take the headlamp out - do you have to remove the bumper first?

Dont have HID's fitted.

But unless they were factory fitted (i.e. headlamp wash & self leveling also installed) I heard they will fail the MOT test under new regulations.

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

How do you take the headlamp out - do you have to remove the bumper first?

First of all, You would be extremely unlucky for your car to fail its MOT with a HID kit installed, I have never heard of anyone with an Accord failing and there are a fair few people with HID kits on here. Your headlights are already projectors which is the most important thing (no blinding people) and if you have an EX you will already have headlight washers. The only thing missing is self leveling, Unless you are constantly pulling a caravan and don't know how to use the adjustment wheel then this will not represent a problem.

Yes you will need to partially remove the bumper but this is very very easy. Just a few screws on the arches and some plastic rivets on top of the grill and off it comes. I can do it in 5 minutes or less. The headlights are held on by a few 10mm bolts, 1 of which will require an extension for your ratchet to get at it. All in all a very easy job.

Shouldn't really have any problems with the MOT, mine was just MOT'd a week ago and they weren't even mentioned.

Before you start removing all the bumper etc do what I did.

Remove the twist caps on the back and throughly clean the rubber seal. I turned mine over and used a tiny smear of Vaseline and wiped the seal over. I put them back together and they've been fine since. Took about 10 minutes and mins a facelift as well.

Thanks chaps - will give the rubber seal a try first.

Cheers

don't know if it's relevant with the facelifts but when I first got my 03 I took it to Honda for another key and they said the headlight mist up fix hadn't been done so they'd do it for free under warranty while it was there, car was out of warranty which was good of them, maybe a recall on earlier cars?...

Mine is a 07 Exec and both headlights have this problem. Near side isn't much of a problem but the drivers side is fully covered in drops, not a mist. I've done everything bar taking it out and re-sealing it, which I might do soon. The Sun dries it off somewhat in the day time whilst it's hot, but come night and it's back to it's normal state.