What's new

CDTI Oil Consumption

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi,

I've noticed my car consumes oil. Not a problem really as I keep it topped up but from the last time I topped up till now it appears my honda uses oil at a rate of half a litre per thousand miles.

Is this normal? What do other people round here get if any oil consumption?

Mine uses little or none. But yours is within the limits that Honda states it can use. Its why they say you should check your oil level everytime you fill up.

It really depends how you drive. Or how healthy your engine is.
My car doesn't really uses oil. For me, it wouldn't be normal to use half a liter per 1k miles.

Do you see any blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust?
Or a small leak, maybe?

Anyway, there are engines that use some oil, but are healthy nonetheless.

as said yours is probably fine, but it varies heavily. my 152k lump doesn't seem to use a drop.

Habib, although that's within Honda limits - from experience with this engine, I would say that's a lot.

What oil have you been using and what mileage is your engine on? What is your driving pattern and do you notice any signs of an oil leak anywhere at all?

Hi
I topped up recently with 5w 30 that the dealers sold me. I've ordered 0w 30 for the service.

I drive the car mainly for commuting which involves mainly motorway driving. Dont drive the car hard at all, i have given it a blast occasionally on weekends but generally drive with mechanical sympathy. Don't drive hard till its warmed up properley etc

The turbo makes a whistling noise when cold as a member described recently on another thread. I feel that this could be related but not sure.

Thanks for your help all

On another note bought a set of pentas cant wait to get them on.

As Fahad said that is quite a lot to use as mine uses about a quarter of a litre between service.
As for driving different iv proved the point of 1700 miles towing a caravan and still no change in oil loss.
As for why yours is burning more im not sure to be honest as the guys has already said above.

Habib, we can have a listen to your turbo when you come. Some whistle on cold is perfectly fine. I can't explain the oil consumption though unless you can see blue smoke out the rear or are losing it through a leak.

Cheers Fahad et al,

I certainly havent seen any smoke recently. When I first got it I noticed a bit of smoke on start up. This has gone since I've had the new battery. I ***ume it was the unburnt diesel due to the car cranking over but not starting till a few seconds later.

Weather permitting, I'll take the engine cover off today and have a good nose around for any leaks. I'll get someone else to rev the car and check for smoke too.

See you soon

keep us posted bud.

Unburnt diesel wouldn't burn blue though so check the colour and smell of the smoke. Burnt oil is quite distinctive, but at that mileage I would think it's a leak not burnt oil..

I have to agree about possible leak.
If you spot nothing try and get under the car to see under the drip tray or sump cover.If there is a leak there will be oil on hear for sure.

Could it possibly be something to do with the EGR valve or PCV valve?

I've been searching on the internet for possible causes and the EGR valve could be a liklely candidate.

Im not sure about the erg but there is a very good diy to clean this by our diesel expert carl.

Turbo oil seal seems possible, might just be a small leak at the banjo

Hi,

I took the engine cover off last night. I could not see any signs of any leaks. All seemed OK. Revved the car and no smoke either. It seems strange. I couldn't even see the turbo. I ***ume I have to access it from underneath.

My car is going in for a service this weekend so I'll get the mechanic to check everything whilst its on the ramps.

Thanks all

don't forget oem filters only... and 0/30 oil.

Hi habib just a pre warn mate,if you have not had the vsa module replaced,be careful when in for service as there seems to be a relation to vsa module failure when work has taken place under the hood bud..hope this helps.

Right, another suggestion please.

I've read about the problem with the vsa module and fahads diy write ups. Basically i feel i could do a better job with a service than most garages. But i wanted to take out the aa breakdown repair cover for which i need a vat registered garage to do the service for a full service history.

What do you guys suggest? Any garages around in west yorks that are vat registeted and know their hondas?

Or diy and sod the cover?

I've serviced my cars in the past and done brakes etc. Fahads write ups suggest that diy servicing is easy as long as you have the right tools, knowledge and patience.

I've been servicing

Habib just DIY it. Even if your VSA module ever fails (unlikely if you don't go anywhere near it with a blunt instrument) then you can change it yourself with a part from the breakers. Servicing these cars is easy.

i think the only part that gives a few prob removing is the fuel filter, other than that the diys on here are really good and provide enough information. i just have to get mine done in a vat registered garage to keep the warrenty on my car valid.

Dude at that mileage you might as well DIY - unless there are any Honda extended warranties left to run (dunno your year).

At 89K you haven't got long until 3rd Party warranties aren't practical anyway.