What's new

iDTEC hunting at idle

falcom

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord iDTEC ES GT
Our iDTEC has been acting funny at idle for a while, it's intermittent (so never happens at the garage!) and has continued even after a service. It occasionally behaves like an old carbueretted petrol car would do at idle when it's too rich, it seems to hunt where the engine seems to periodically surge, maybe once a second. You can hear it inside and even feel the vibration it a bit when sitting still. The old iCTDI never used to do this.... anyone else had this? I'm wondering if this is something to do with cycling of the DPF, or is it something wrong...

Mark you will need to go into a dealer for a ecu update , this is a known issue when the fuelling goes hay wired whilst the DPF is regenerating itself.

The dealer will update the software free of cost and this will resolve the problem. just to reiterate this is not linked to the DPF , it a a simple map change to the ECU to back off fuelling during this procedure.

let us know what happens,.

Thanks CJ! I'll do this and report back. Is there an code or identifier for this update?

CJ - just a quick q - is this endemic of all 8 Gens? Just asking as I've not had this at all or is this limited scope occurence to early build cars or those that are doing shorter trips?

Mark, out of interest, what plate/year is your 8 Gen?

CJ - just a quick q - is this endemic of all 8 Gens? Just asking as I've not had this at all or is this limited scope occurence to early build cars or those that are doing shorter trips?

Mark, out of interest, what plate/year is your 8 Gen?

It's a September '09. The car does quite a few motorway runs. I've never noticed any lights coming on, what should I see during DPF regeneration?

It's a September '09. The car does quite a few motorway runs. I've never noticed any lights coming on, what should I see during DPF regeneration?

Normally the regen icon flags up (as per the handbook) - its not happened on mine, and like you, do a lot or regular m-way travel. As CJ says, best to take to the dealer and get the ECU updated. Given that its an intermittent issue, it doesnt appear to be "serious" in the traditional sense.

OK, so our Honda dealer have not been spectacularly helpful with this so far, saying they couldn't find anything wrong (even though I told them the problem was *intermittent* when I checked it in, and mentioned a possible TSB.) I asked them to apply any required updates but nobody could give me any detail of what if anything had actually been done when I picked the car up, and it's showing the problem today...

Just to clarify, when we are seeing this problem, there are NO lights indicating on the dash, and NO abnormal codes showing on the multifunction display. Is this still consistent with the unstable idle durin DPF regen TSB?