What's new

8th Gen brake problem

pappyjohn

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 idtec EX auto
Noticed a scraping noise from the rear wheels on thursday. A trip to the service department at my local Honda main dealer on thursday evening who diagnosed a sticking brake pad on the drivers side rear wheel. As they didn't have the parts to hand they told me to book the car in for 08:30 on Friday (the following day). They fitted new discs and brake pads to both wheels while i waited and i was on my way again in jig time. Best of all the job was done under warranty, with no hastle at all, meaning it didn't cost me a penny. well pleased with the service department. For anyone with an 8th gen car it might be worth a quick check to make sure this is not a common problem.

Ex news John its always nice to have things done under warranty ;)
I no the 7th gen has a rear callipers sticking problem but this is the 1st time iv heard it on the 8th gen.
To be honest i think the main problem with the 7th gen is the callipers need cleaning proper when changing pads and most garages don't do this.

Many thanks for that information CJ. This is the first problem i've had since i bought the car new 24000 miles ago. Its still the best car i've owned.

agree with all that CJ. In terms of value for money it's an oustanding car. To get the same level of equipment on a so called "quality" German car would cost a whole lot more than the Accord.

agree with all that CJ. In terms of value for money it's an oustanding car. To get the same level of equipment on a so called "quality" German car would cost a whole lot more than the Accord.
German quality so what are we talking Bosch :ph34r:

Apparently there is a known issue with rear brakes on the 8th gen

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/honda-settles-class-action-suit-over-brakes/

Hi guys!

I'm wondering a bit about the brakes. All the news and lawyer talk is for the US model, but it seems that our Euro Accord is not completely "OK" with the rear brakes I'd say.

I drive a diesel executive automatic, and have had "metal noises" from the back brakes now and then. They come and go when you drive slowly, wheep wheep wheep. :)

Took it to the dealer, who found out that the discs are not straight anymore and had to be straightened a bit, not much (but of course). They "took" off a bit of the discs to make them straight again, don't know the English term.

Also needed new pads for the rear, after 32k miles. I think this is rather quick for a 3 year old car. And even though the labour and "fixing" the discs was warranty, there was no really good answer on why the discs are not straight anymore (something with heat bla bla) and why the pads wear out that quickly. I drive pretty normal, queue a lot, mostly highway and a little city driving. I'm not too happy with the "fix" they provided, this just means my discs are not thinner because they ran off a bit to make them straight again. And the pads, they just wore out because of the discs that touched them maybe.

Anyone any experience with this? How long do you guys drive with rear pads on the auto? Is 32k miles normal?

Hi Robin

Skimmed is the term.

Heat warps discs but that is the symptom. The question is what caused enough heat to warp them?

If your brakes have lasted 32k miles it is longer than the 15-20k mentioned in the New York Times article so the cause may be different.

Brake binding is also an issue with the 7th generation Accord and funnily enough it is affecting one of my brakes so I am about to have it checked out.

Apparently the causes can include the piston sticking in the brake caliper and not retracting properly, and a degrading brake hose preventing brake fluid from reaching the caliper, but inspection is needed to diagnose the problem.

Well guys car has done 47k and that it needing another set of rear pads. That will be the fourth set and one set of rear discs . In the same time the fronts have only been change once.
I never thought of taking it in for this as I have always been told in the plast that these are ware and tear items with other cars. But after reading this I called them this morning and it's booked in on Thursday to be checked them out and the service manger said he will speak with Honda UK. He said because I used Honda parts every time there should not be a problem. So will post a updated once I have been so finger crossed.

Well guys little update on this. Car didn't get looked at between Christmas and new year as it turns out Honda ok where closed right through. Dealer phone on tuesday to say that Honda would give me disc FOC but I would have to pay ladour changed and pads as this was just good will as car was past the 40k cut off.
So called Honda uk myself and found dealer didn't give them the full picture as they where not aware it was just the passenger side wearing this fast. But due too me carrying out all the work myself in the past they said they still would not touch it.
So one angry call later they have agreed to change disc and pad on the back FOC and I have to take it back in 2500 miles for them to check the wear and if there is a problem they will deal with it.
So will get the car booked in and take it from there.