What's new

Injector issues

TheHole

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Honda 2.2 i -ctdi
Hello All, its been a long time since i have had the time to post on here :( university, work, baby, house and dont foget the missus ! is quite a bit to handle!

Anywho. When i had my timing chain done, the injectors where replaced as per required by honda. A few weeks after than i started suffering injector blow by on cylinder 1 & 2. Injectors where replaced and it happened again! this time the head was cut using a tool supplied by HUK to recut the seat for the injector.

Fast forward probably around 1 year and sure enough... im getting blow by again on injector #1. i can smell fumes if i take the engine cover off and it is very strong.

Only issue is, my car is now at the 127k mark. will the dealer / honda fix this issue or will they be wanting me to cough up for the work ?

Im honestly supprised by my bad luck with this injector blowby issue as im not aware of anyone else having these issues ?

Thanks

Adam

That is bad luck Adam sorry to hear this and buy the way nice to see your back.
If i were you mate go to the dealer that done the work in the 1st place and see what they say.
Also is it 1 year or less as you will have 1 year warranty on the original works.

The mileage should not matter, as the injectors are new. You should also have the 1 year warranty on parts and labour, but if I were you, I would make a fuss as it is really unusual for this to happen twice. When thy did mine, I had this issue about a year later, they replaced the injector FOC without even mentioning mileage and warranty terms, but to be fair, when they did the original work, they mentioned that they had some problems with one of the injectors...

thanks brett :)
BTW well done becoming a mod :)

I did phone the dealer and expressed my concerns over the exhaust fumes issue again, so have the car booked in for next wednesday.
Just seems weird how i have suffered with these injector faults, would the head need to be replaced since they have already cut the injector seats ?

Only the dealer can tell you that Adam mate, no point worrying about something that may never happen!

thanks brett :)
BTW well done becoming a mod :)

I did phone the dealer and expressed my concerns over the exhaust fumes issue again, so have the car booked in for next wednesday.
Just seems weird how i have suffered with these injector faults, would the head need to be replaced since they have already cut the injector seats ?

Cheers mate as Cliff said don't worry to much until you hear back from the dealers.TBH iv nether heard of this before with injectors but that's me.
Im thinking the dealers will look after you as its a recurring fault with backup from HUK so keep us informed to what happens.As for a new head im not sure mate as im not an expert in this.

Yep all work carries a 12 month warranty so stick to your guns and see what the dealer says.

Welcome back Adam - sorry to hear your woes!

as CJ will testify................BOSCH.........say no more! ime sure your honda dealer will sort you out. sounds like they have gone about things the correct way, as it hasnt been checked yet you may find it is a different injector leaking. no doubt a new seal will sort things out. there desighn is not perfect by all means in how they are clamped down. has your exhaust manifold been replaced? a leaking manifold can cause a similar chuffing noise to an injector and will cause a stink in the cabin.

Don't get him started Adam, we've only just calmed him down :lol:

:D lol.

Im more interested in to why, yet again the injector is not seating correctly allowing blowby ? The seats have already been recut (on the last attempt at fitting them) and new injectors used.
if the head is ally, might it be possible a thread is damaged causing this high pressure seal to break ?

Another thing is, if an injector is removed from the head am i right in saying that a new one MUST be used ?

I am very interested to see what the dealer has to say, Im sure they will be fine about it and get it sorted. just seems odd that its the same injector position as before.

you can re-use injectors with new seals. it is the injectors before countermeasure that are problematic as they tend to seize into the head. a new o-ring and desighn was used to reduce the chance of this, and that is why honda supply new injectors if the car is under warranty when replacing the timing chain. lets see what your honda dealer finds and keep us posted buddy.

Thanks for that beefy, i wasnt aware of that, i thought they had to replace the injectors everytime as they where delicate and could break when removed.

there not delecate as such. its just the fact that if seized they have to be destroyed to remove them. saying as yours are new and have been removed before i caunt see this being a problem.

as a quick update....
Honda garage have confirmed injector leak on 1 cylinder. aparently because the 'main' work was carried out in 2009 im out of warantee, so thats £100 to have an injector seal replaced yet again!

surley because i have had to take it back to them multiple times with injector blowby they should acknowledge its due their work?
I have asked the aftersales manager to give me a call regarding this as im not overly happy....
CJ will jump up and down at this, but i do sometimes wish i got a petrol accord instead!

£100 isn't the end of the world mate (almost a tank of fuel now), ask them to guarantee it for 12 months as you're paying for it again technically.

yes faddy. i agree £100 isnt the end of the world. BUT this will be the 3 rd or 4th time this has happened since they replaced them and the chain back in late 2009. Its the fact that the job should have been done right first time, i would not expect to buy a new car and have leaky injectors 4 times within 18 months.

I didn't realise it had been done so many times? Maybe a call to Honda CS is in order.

from my count:
dealer replaced injectors when they did the timing chain. 1
blow by occured, used roadside to flat bed the car to them to get it fixed. 2
exhaust smell in cabin, noticed by my mother and father, again taken. 3

so yes, this has been the 4th time. also initial work was done dec 2009.

my concern more than anything else is my daughter in the car as i dont want a 5 month olf breathing in toxic fumes inside the cabin

Well just take it to another dealer and get it fixed asap mate. Don't ever use that dealer again - that £100 will cost them more in the long run as they've lost your custom forever.

I Have had a chat with a few people and I have decided that the best thing to do is wait for the after service manager to get in contact with me.
I then want a meeting with him to discuss how i feel about this issue / problems caused for me etc.
From that i will see what his attitude is like.

CJ

You said i should be there to look for 'aluminium curd', what is this??
I will deffinately request to watch the whole process from end to end if they do this job on my car.

Lesson #1, Pay the £70 in diesel and take your car to HH!

Finally spoke to the after sales manager at my local dealer today.

I explained that the injector was leaking again, and that even though the car has now done over 125k miles the original work was done when the car was in warantee and it has been back several times to fix this fault.
He asked for me to bring the car in to the technicians could have a look. I nicely explained that they had already seen the car and confirmed the injector leak and they had tried to charge me to fix the issue.

After a short chat he has asked me to drop the car off this thursday and they will try and get the car fixed. they have also got the honda special tool to remove the injectors as they are doing someone else's diesel.

Now do i leave the car with them and let them get on with fixing it again, or do i stay and ask to watch the work being done ?
Also I will probably ask what they will do differently this time as im not wanting another injector leak 4-6 months down the line.

Finally spoke to the after sales manager at my local dealer today.

I explained that the injector was leaking again, and that even though the car has now done over 125k miles the original work was done when the car was in warantee and it has been back several times to fix this fault.
He asked for me to bring the car in to the technicians could have a look. I nicely explained that they had already seen the car and confirmed the injector leak and they had tried to charge me to fix the issue.

After a short chat he has asked me to drop the car off this thursday and they will try and get the car fixed. they have also got the honda special tool to remove the injectors as they are doing someone else's diesel.

Now do i leave the car with them and let them get on with fixing it again, or do i stay and ask to watch the work being done ?
Also I will probably ask what they will do differently this time as im not wanting another injector leak 4-6 months down the line.

Biggest question is, why has he informed you that they have the special tool, did they not have it before?

Presumably they are going to try and get the car fixed for free or substantial discount, if so you've not got that much to loose.

Carl its a new factory tool released a month ago , it a big plate with stud adapters you can set it up on the head by hydraulic pressure it tries to pop off the injectors out.

I have seen this tool and from what I have seen the success rate in getting the German blighter out is still a nightmare..I would give this tool a success rate of 50% without damaging the injectors.

so your saying this is a new tool ? would you have a part number or any more information regarding the tool as i would like to check with my dealer that this is the tool they will be using.

Also im not sure how they plan on cutting the injector seat again, what tool do they use for this ?
and if they cut the injector seat last time then how come its already blowing again ?

sorry for the stupid questions :(

Carl its a new factory tool released a month ago , it a big plate with stud adapters you can set it up on the head by hydraulic pressure it tries to pop off the injectors out.

I have seen this tool and from what I have seen the success rate in getting the German blighter out is still a nightmare..I would give this tool a success rate of 50% without damaging the injectors.

Ah that answers that then!

Not sure what to think at the moment.

I started the car up this morning and got the distinct 'chuffing' from under the bonnet again.
Im not angry, but rather dissapointed about what has happened.

what would you lot do in my shoes? at this moment in time im not sure which injector seal is leaking but all i know is!

:(

adam

sorry to hear this Adam i wish i could help.

no worries brett, i wish they would fix the car properly. hearing chiuffing a week after the work was done is a little bit disheartening .

I have done the sensible thing of calling the dealer who did the work. spoke to them ans they said to bring it back in again to get it fixed FOC.

now, i like this attitude and they said the right thing BUT..... the work being done on the car isnt obviously up to the correct standard or not being done correctly.