TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Name:sufian rahaman
  • Car :accord icdti
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

HEY GUYS,(been away for a while,due to exams etc) been looking to change the gear knob in the car for a while, so the search went for one of my all time favourites, the Vti-S metal gear knob(now quite rare too)so mangaed to source a vti-s being broken down for spares and repairs and they STILL had the gear knob(having tried ebay,gumtree, and recieving qoutes for 50.00+ :o ) for 20.00 inc postage:

here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

in the car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i think it looks pretty good(rather than cheap ebay ones), but anyone have any ideas where i can get it polished as it does have scratches????would look PERFECT then. opinions guys???
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#2 brett

brett

T A Terminator

• Administrators
  • 13,669 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car :8th gen 2.4 Manual
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

Thats a nice shiny knob there sufian :lol: looks good mate i would say take it to a good jewellery shop as they can polish most things.
 photo IMG_06551_zps16877260.jpg photo 1a30ead12b5799ee4c7f519123a797de_zps2vsu5cen.jpg

#3 crespo

crespo

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car :Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
  • LocationBournemouth

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Good find that and looks the biz. I have a metal ring thing that goes underneath that tidy's up the gaiter you can have for postage if you want.
I got it from the US for my car but didn't get on with the gearstick i got and went back to standard.

It is identical to this picture
Posted Image

Oh, And there is a guy on ebay who polishes knobs. :D :D :D :D I think he charges about £20 from memory.

Edited by crespo, 16 June 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Blue Guru

Blue Guru

JDM Oz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Name:Oz
  • Car :CL9 Accord Type S
  • LocationCentral Scotland

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Very nice bro, i've driven an ek4 vti-s back in the day i have to admit the gear knob was very nice to use in the car. Good purchase bro B)

2003 ABP CM2 Accord Executive 
2005 SSM CL9 Accord Type S
2006 NHB CL9 Accord Type S
2010 CBP ZF1 CR-Z Sport
2015 BSB FK3 Civic Sport

#5 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thats a nice shiny knob there sufian :lol: looks good mate i would say take it to a good jewellery shop as they can polish most things.

thanks for the compliment there brett, lol :lol: yeah iv throught about taking jewllers, i want it polished to high shine
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#6 crespo

crespo

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car :Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
  • LocationBournemouth

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

It may be worth contacting this guy for a referb. http://cgi.ebay.co.u...d#ht_1675wt_905

#7 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Good find that and looks the biz. I have a metal ring thing that goes underneath that tidy's up the gaiter you can have for postage if you want.
I got it from the US for my car but didn't get on with the gearstick i got and went back to standard.

It is identical to this picture
Posted Image

Oh, And there is a guy on ebay who polishes knobs. :D :D :D :D I think he charges about £20 from memory.

that will be brill neil, ill pm you bud .. B)
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#8 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Very nice bro, i've driven an ek4 vti-s back in the day i have to admit the gear knob was very nice to use in the car. Good purchase bro B)

hey bro, thanks, yeah iv seen alot people change it to spoon or type-r ones, even the cheap ones, but this vti-s gear knob was one of the best iv ever used...(although its freezing in winter mornings when i forget my driving gloves indoors lol) it will be brilliant if i can get it to mirror finish B)

Edited by ukaccord, 16 June 2011 - 05:26 PM.

HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#9 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Guys just read on the civic forum that you can polish metal or aluminium gear knobs using steel wool and autosol,does anyone have any experiance doing so,if so how can achieve the best results,will I need wet and dry sand paper? The results achieved seemed amazing....
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#10 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car :Mazda 3 Sport
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Guys just read on the civic forum that you can polish metal or aluminium gear knobs using steel wool and autosol,does anyone have any experiance doing so,if so how can achieve the best results,will I need wet and dry sand paper? The results achieved seemed amazing....

I did my original CTR gear knob a few years ago. Used fine steel wool to get the initial dull surface covering off. To make it a little easier I stuck some threaded rod in the knob and put it in a drill. Slow speed, spun knob in wire wool. Friction makes it a bit hot, so had some rag around the wool in my hand. Then used solvol autosol and plenty of polishing. Came up with a mirror finish.

#11 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

I did my original CTR gear knob a few years ago. Used fine steel wool to get the initial dull surface covering off. To make it a little easier I stuck some threaded rod in the knob and put it in a drill. Slow speed, spun knob in wire wool. Friction makes it a bit hot, so had some rag around the wool in my hand. Then used solvol autosol and plenty of polishing. Came up with a mirror finish.

See that's the method which iv just come across on the forum,will I need any wet and dry before hand bud,iv already got some fine steel wool,does halford have autosol as iv tried b&q with no luck..also when using the steel wool did this not make more fine scratches,and will I need to use the auto sol with the fine steel wire or just a microfibre cloth,sorry for tones of questions but complete noob at this LOL.
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#12 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

ok guys (kinda answering my own question here,lol)iv got cracking on with it(after reading upon the civic site got me rearing to have a go) i managed to get a bolt with attched to the bottom on the gear knob,(with the head cut off) and placed it in a drill. Taking the advise of the site and ROAD DETECTIVE, at a slow speed i spun the gear knob in the cotton wool(wearing gloves,as IT DOES GET HOT :o :o ) and here is my results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

as you can tell the top part of the gear knob was the most difficult with the wool,as its not fully circular, so some parts of the grip will have to be done by hand,so far i think its going well, :unsure: , but i will get some autosol from halfords tommorow, and get on polishing(im guessing alot elbow grease is going to be needed...lol)but stilll not sure if i should have used any sand paper(wet and dry 400,600,800,1000,....guys???

Edited by ukaccord, 16 June 2011 - 10:43 PM.

HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#13 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

ok guys (kinda answering my own question here,lol)iv got cracking on with it(after reading upon the civic site got me rearing to have a go) i managed to get a bolt with attched to the bottom on the gear knob,(with the head cut off) and placed it in a drill. Taking the advise of the site and ROAD DETECTIVE, at a slow speed i spun the gear knob in the cotton wool(wearing gloves,as IT DOES GET HOT :o :o ) and here is my results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

as you can tell the top part of the gear knob was the most difficult with the wool,as its not fully circular, so some parts of the grip will have to be done by hand,so far i think its going well, :unsure: , but i will get some autosol from halfords tommorow, and get on polishing(im guessing alot elbow grease is going to be needed...lol)but stilll not sure if i should have used any sand paper(wet and dry 400,600,800,1000,....guys???

#14 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

If you don't get the shine you want when you polish with Solvol autosol, you could certainly try with fine wet and dry first to get rid of all scratches, then wire wool, then polish. If you get it smooth before the autosol is applied, it's amazing the mirror shine you get once polished up. My gear knob only had a few scratches on to start with, mostly just a dull surface factory covering that took some getting off. Time and effort I am afraid, but the results are worth it.

#15 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

If you don't get the shine you want when you polish with Solvol autosol, you could certainly try with fine wet and dry first to get rid of all scratches, then wire wool, then polish. If you get it smooth before the autosol is applied, it's amazing the mirror shine you get once polished up. My gear knob only had a few scratches on to start with, mostly just a dull surface factory covering that took some getting off. Time and effort I am afraid, but the results are worth it.

Well buddy been hard at work today,I did get some 2000 wet and dry,I still had the gear knob on the drill and just spun it,while I worked about 2sheets of halfords wet and dry,this did get it very smooth and a sort of semi shine...I then applied the autosol to a microfibre cloth,and spun the gear knob again in the drill whilebcloth was placed over top,done this 3times and here is the results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and im chuffed with the results....i think it was well worth the effort,and didnt have to send it off either... B)

let me know what you think guys.....

Edited by ukaccord, 17 June 2011 - 05:26 PM.

HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#16 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well buddy been hard at work today,I did get some 2000 wet and dry,I still had the gear knob on the drill and just spun it,while I worked about 2sheets of halfords wet and dry,this did get it very smooth and a sort of semi shine...I then applied the autosol to a microfibre cloth,and spun the gear knob again in the drill whilebcloth was placed over top,done this 3times and here is the results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and im chuffed with the results....i think it was well worth the effort,and didnt have to send it off either... B)

let me know what you think guys.....

#17 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

What a shine. I think your time and effort has shown really a great result.

#18 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

What a shine. I think your time and effort has shown really a great result.

thanks buddy....and many thanks for your help ;)
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE

#19 ROAD DETECTIVE

ROAD DETECTIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

thanks buddy....and many thanks for your help ;)

A pleasure mate, this place is great for sharing knowledge and experience.

#20 ukaccord

ukaccord

TAF Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Locationeast london

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

A pleasure mate, this place is great for sharing knowledge and experience.

it is buddy....the knowledge on this sight amazes me sometimes..
HASHIRIYA-A WAY OF LIFE