What's new

Double DIN Install

mohammed

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
accord icdti
Hi guys,I recieved my double din car dvd player today(still waiting for the front double din facia to arrive)but was wondering if anyone knows anyone who can install the system in my accord,its got steering wheel functions too and I'm not confident enough to attempting,cutting wires or trying to even hook it up to steering wheel functions,also is there anyway I can check the unit to see if works without connecting it to my car(brought it new of eBay)if you know of any such service around london,please do let me know.

those pimp my ride uk boyz that did you suspension. Audio will be easy for them. Never done a double din install, is it not just a case of looping in a new iso connector inbetween the original wiring and the headunit?

Have no idea bro to be honest, some how they need to be able to connect to the steering wheel controls(got the harness with it)so wouldn't know where to begin...might have to try them when my double din facia arrives(by ems so slow process)have we not got any audio bods on t.a

If you was in Leeds I would of done the whole install for you.

My mates wanting to do a double din in his Accord, can you send me a link to where you got your fascia kit from and how much?

If you was in Leeds I would of done the whole install for you.

My mates wanting to do a double din in his Accord, can you send me a link to where you got your fascia kit from and how much?

Thanks for your very kind offer shabz mate :) , its kinda far for drive up there from london LOL, the facia kit buddy I can give you the link if you like,the person I brought it from is in china(great to do buisness with too)I knew the double din is rare in the UK,so since this person has a few I spoke to the regarding club discount,and also shipping. They v kindly said discount can be given and the what they will do is put the item value down so we won't get with import tax,so I paid 39.50 gbp and the item is valued at $10... LOL happy days,still waiting for mine to arrive as its being shipped my EMS..so pm if your interested bro..

can you post some pictures of the connectors on the head unit it might just a case of getting an adapter lead

here is some pics buddy...

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

and here is the some pictures of the double din facia adapter:

DSC04476.jpg

DSC04477.jpg

there is adapters and iso connectors the problem ill find is actually getting the steering wheel controls setup(but there is an iso connector thingy there too..) :unsure:

Thanks for your very kind offer shabz mate :) , its kinda far for drive up there from london LOL, the facia kit buddy I can give you the link if you like,the person I brought it from is in china(great to do buisness with too)I knew the double din is rare in the UK,so since this person has a few I spoke to the regarding club discount,and also shipping. They v kindly said discount can be given and the what they will do is put the item value down so we won't get with import tax,so I paid 39.50 gbp and the item is valued at $10... LOL happy days,still waiting for mine to arrive as its being shipped my EMS..so pm if your interested bro..
That looks really good. Can you send me the link please?
Also how will you reroute the wiring from the existing stereo?

pm'd you bro :) ,regarding the fixing of the unit i have no idea :( , so im defo going have to get it installed by a pro,but at the moment the qoutes are around the 140.00 mark(which i think is really pricey) :(

sufian its easy mate, just give it an attempt... where did you get the fascia from bro? if you was close to me i would have helped you out!

could you pm me a link to that fasica as it looks better fit than my original honda oem one.... :)

sufian its easy mate, just give it an attempt... where did you get the fascia from bro? if you was close to me i would have helped you out!
thanks for the offer bro, just spoke to shabz, he siad ill probably need a 3 way iso connector(one end to go back into the oem unit,one and to fit the new stereo)??? is this correct,where do i get this from bro if i do need one.

could you pm me a link to that fasica as it looks better fit than my original honda oem one.... :)

just pm'd you bro, could you supply a link for the iso conncetor thingy...

reagrding the facia plate bro, i have know idea on the build quality, but if you tell the seller i sent you the link,she will hopefully provide the item for 39.90 inc p&p and put the item value down to 10us dollars which means no import tax.

Update: right guys the front facia arrived today,excellent I thought,NO,THE SLOT IS TOO SMALL,so my stereo wont fit through the facia :( , took it too a few shops to see if they could cut it to make it fit,the cheapest qoutes I got today, 257.99 that's to modify the front facia,make a loom(even though I told the guy we could use the parrot ISO connector,as advised by our good friend Javjav : ) )but he insisted he makes a loom,also the cage as it didnt come with one;no way am I paying that or any more,sooooooo, I'm going to try and install it myself :s wish i hadn't started this LOL,but I'm no quitter,and ill make it work one way or another..lol

I shouldn't laugh, but I know your pain!

Why can't sh** just work god dammit!

I shouldn't laugh, but I know your pain!

Why can't sh** just work god dammit!

Lol...I'm laughing too buddy,laughing at the prices iv been qouted,man I'm in the wrong job,LOL,just managed to fit the facia(although I could have done a bit better on trimming it down,but il file it a bit more to get it all smooth and straight.)oh pics on the cubby hole section..LOL

I think you guys should have a London meet and fix it up for Mo :D

lol, it would be great typeaccord meet on my road :lol: , the neighbours love my car,and thinks its great, will be brilliant to show other great examples we have on TA

right guys managed to get the stereo in the facia and it fit really snug and firm:

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

trial fitted in the accord and looks good(sorry couldnt take a pic)im going to have to fabricate a fitting system(brackets) of some kind to secure the stereo to the facia(as i can not the cage to fit the facia)this will make it sturdy,also when i fit the facia,due to the weight of the stereo the facia seems to drop back as the brackets on the side of the facia seem to slide right past the brackets in the accord(sorry will try to get pics to show you what i mean lol)

right after going back and forth from audio shops looking for audio iso connector, i gave in and went to halfords, picked one up for 14.00, also brought some fixing brackets to modify the facia plate. This were the fun began,no one had a clue about the oem audio system, weather the stereo had to have power to control ac/heating, so i had to find out(and had to get to the back stereo to take out the iso connector from the oem unit any way),

so first was to take out the two screws which holds the oem unit(this is inside the cubby hole area)
IMAG0444.jpg

secondly i had to lift the top cover(the bit with hazard light)this just lifts up(thanks faddy for your help bud..lol)
IMAG0446.jpg

then had to remove the three screws which holds the stereo unit in place..
IMAG0448.jpg

with a bit of tug and pull lolthe unit just slips out...
IMAG0447.jpg

i took out the iso lead from behind the stereo,and pluged the other end of my stereo iso lead in(simples..lol), THE UNIT CAME TO LIFE :D , SOOO i also tried the heating and the ac controls.....GREAT THEY WORK TOO... :D :D :D , although there was no display on the oem unit of the heating controls,i could attach(piggyback)of the iso connector and add another lead but since im not too fussed about the display,i didnt bother, so guys if you are trying to to connect an iso lead, my founding is that the heating/ac still function(but the display does not)..although this can be easily over come(if your bothered..lol)the oem stereo however has does not function at all.

now to start fabricating the fasia B)

so it comes down to fabricating the fascia, the original problem being is that i can not put a cage around the system(as the facia is too small)and the weight of the double din pulls the fascia plate inwards, soooo

i brought some fixing brackets from halford and attached it to the bracket supplied with the stereo(was attached using some bolts and nuts...as you can tell i had to bend the fixing brackets around the stereo to get the right angle..
bd6b2fb4af2958d60684587876ae1e2a.jpg

i then drilled 2 small holes in the side of the facia so i could attach the custom bracket which i just made as well as two diagonal strips of fixing brackets...i also bolted these into place
b0260d5b4df68c464ad67cac001230d7.jpg

1cddc35543d6fcdc74cd80e8e1ec93f0.jpg

56b6c1b085f9fe69ec3a9715bb2a53e2.jpg

i then got a thin aluminium strip(the corner strips available from b&Q for 4quid)and made a similar bracket again folding to the shape of the stereo(but this will fit at the bottom...
c7fb4892b4820a4fba6b98bf52047a41.jpg

i attached the bottom aluminium folded strip to the top,using the horizontal fixing brackets(again using bolts)
IMAG0460.jpg

6919b06970eaaeac4367af9aca94dfd5.jpg

cb98c0ab0ad44790987f6446ebddb6e9.jpg

this has made the fascia plate more steady and will support the stereo since im not installing a cage)

so in the car is where i had a genius moment(does not happen very often) i noticed at the back of the cubby hole there were two bolts which could come in usefull, so instead of using the top bracket(i know one step back...lol)im going to use the bolts,this will guarantee the facia being more steady and robust.

these are the two bolts:
IMAG0465.jpg

i have attached two bent fixing brackets and will bolt these into place,

IMAG0463.jpg

as you can now tell the back, bottom part of facia(the fabricated aluminium piece)will now be held up by the the two fixing brackets attached to the two exsisting bolts of the car..

also the horizontal fixing brackets have been attached to the inside of the cubby hole using bolts, this had made the front of the fascia very strong and stops it from falling back(you can just see it in the pic)
IMAG0463.jpg

and this is the end result of the fabricated fascia plus supports..lol
IMAG0467.jpg

all im waiting for now is the digital antenna for the tv(ebay)and some sub wiring to arrive,iv also got a 7" screen to be installed,WHICH IS GOING TO BE A ONE OFF CUSTOM INSTALL IN THE REAR ARMREST :D :D :D , so still a bit left to do lol,but were getting there lads.

right as im still waiting for the tv antenna, i thought i might as well start the rear arm rest install,i firstly thought i would have to take out the whole armrest to work on it, but as i started to look around this seemed quite difficult as i had no idea to get the rear armrest out(even unzipped the rear seats to see if i could get to it but still no joy)so it i began work without taking it out:

first was to get the cup holder plastic section out(this is were my screen will go)this just simply unclipped and lifted out:
IMAG0468.jpg

you should then be looking at some thing like this, this cut out section is the armrest is exactly the same size as my screen holder:
IMAG0469.jpg

i then wired the connection for the screen along the side of the armrest(inside the leather)which will then go either under the seats or through the into the boot:
IMAG0470.jpg

right next was to fit the screen holder into place(please note i didnt screw it down as this is trial fitting stage),as you can tell its fits exactly, as the cup holders did.
IMAG0473.jpg

next the screen will go in at at a slight tilt(this is obviously for easy viewing purpose):
IMAG0471.jpg

another top view:
IMAG0472.jpg

this is the side image of the screen tilt:
IMAG0474.jpg

and finally checked to see if the armrest closed properly:
IMAG0475.jpg

nice and flush

remember guys this was just a trial fit! i will have to fabricate some brackets so the screen holder will be more secure and sturdy,this will then be wired to the double din head unit at the front,i think its a better and safer solution than having headrest screens(as thieves are keen for stuff like this)and since the armrest folds back into place it conceals the screen,away from prying eyes. so coming along nicely... B)