What's new

Ultimate drive

zed786

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
Hi ppl,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I can learn a lot from here also.

I hope you guys can help me on the following:

I have recently sold my honda civic 1.7 cdti 02plate. I am looking for my next car but i am very confused on what to get.

I was considering a Honda Accord 2.4 type S, Honda accord 2.2 cdti or a BMW 330i

I would probably do around 5000 miles a year and most of it would be town driving. I was impressed by reading feedback from people that have had a remap done on the accord 2.2 cdti but the only think that was worrying me was the clutch life span?
can anyone please shed some light on this please?
I basically wanted something between 190-200bhp?

Thanks in advance

Z

Sorry and another thing, I have never had a high mileage car and if I did see a honda accord 2.2 cdti which had done around 100k and a FSH would you guys actually commit yourselves in buying one? and then getting it remapped?
Thanks.

Welcome to TA Mo.

With that mileage, if it was me... it would be the 330i any day of the week.

But seeing as this is an Accord forum...

Well it would still be the Beemer :lol:

Welcome to TA... diesel ain't for you with that mileage and beemers are 2-a penny boring pap (sorry faddy ;)).

Go for a petrol accord and enjoy living.

Tempting,

For the last 8 years I've only had Honda's, so it is a bit difficult breaking the barrier and moving onto something else,
forgot to mention my tight budget £4500, its very difficult to find an accord 2.2 cdti around 04reg with around 80-85k, but im keen on the remap, but a little put off with the clutch
Has anyone on this forum had clutch replaced because of the remap?

The clutch shouldn't be the reason to dismiss the ICTDI but again as already stated, with 5k a year - you don't really justify the expense of a diesel. Go with the Beemer... 3.0 litres, straight 6, RWD and perfect weight distribution with German engineering to boot B)

I personally would be looking at petrol with your milage. I think its fair to say if you get remapped you should also allow £585 for a clutch. The remap will show up any weaknesses! Don't forget to compare typical servicing/spares, insurance and tax costs. You might find the honda 2.4 might be easiest to live with.

If you do still want to go ctdi, make certain that it has been properly serviced. If it has had anything other than 0W-30 oil during its life I would look elsewhere (unless you are confident that you can get the timing chain done under the extended warranty). But if its had the right servicing 100k is nothing.

Not happy!!!

Just called up Tesco car insurance (my current car insurance), i've asked them for a quote on a 03 bmw 330i sport.

i still have 5 months remaining before my policy ends

and guess what???? they are unable to insure me
the adviser said "your a young driver"

im 29, with 8 years ncb :(

ive been on other comparison sites and getting quoted £950 fully comp

this is ridicilous

Amazing what the word "sport" can do...

Not happy!!!

Just called up Tesco car insurance (my current car insurance), i've asked them for a quote on a 03 bmw 330i sport.

i still have 5 months remaining before my policy ends

and guess what???? they are unable to insure me
the adviser said "your a young driver"

im 29, with 8 years ncb :(

ive been on other comparison sites and getting quoted £950 fully comp

this is ridicilous

stick with the HONDAS buddy, there is no point getting the diesel with milleage your going to do, i made the same mistake(use to go up northa bit)now that has stopped car sits outside the house, really wish i had gone for the 2.0 or 2.4 type S...but im DEFO glad i stuck with honda...

I think the only options i have is to cancel this insurance and get a refund for the remaining 5 months and get insured with someone else

or get something else

Guys please advise on this car, seems tempting

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201125393733448/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/transmission/manual/price-to/5000/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/quantity-of-doors/4/model/accord/make/honda/radius/100/page/7/postcode/cv66ex?logcode=p

that doesnt look too bad,it says it got full service history and the mileage is not bad with 61'000, 41-4200 will be good price if all is well bud.

not sure ill try and find out(im sure someone will be along with answer too bud)

Welcome to TA dude.
Just a quick question, with that ad on Auto trader that you posted up, It says half leather interior, do my eyes decieve me cause in the pic's it kinda looks like full leather.
If it's full leather then awesome, but at the same time, in my opinion the ad is misleading.
If I were you I would go see this car, and look at things like the service book and so on.

Just my 02. ;p

Welcome to TA dude.
Just a quick question, with that ad on Auto trader that you posted up, It says half leather interior, do my eyes decieve me cause in the pic's it kinda looks like full leather.
If it's full leather then awesome, but at the same time, in my opinion the ad is misleading.
If I were you I would go see this car, and look at things like the service book and so on.

Just my 02. ;p

good point buddy..

Just had a look at the pic again, i think it is half leather as described.

Im going to give him a call shortly.

The worst thing is, if i travel 100miles to see the car and its not as what the trader mentioned then I wouldnt be happy

Just had a look at the pic again, i think it is half leather as described.

Im going to give him a call shortly.

The worst thing is, if i travel 100miles to see the car and its not as what the trader mentioned then I wouldnt be happy

it is a long way bud, you need to get the seller to go through everything in great detail over the phone(inc, where the car was serviced and their phone numbers, try get the last mot test number loctaed on the left hand side of the certificate and check the history online.)

Is true accord type s upto 2003 has a timing belt and 2004+ is chain driven?

all 7th gen accords type S, EX, or SE etc, ie the same shape as that in the auto trader ad, are chain driven (at least the petrolo ones are im pretty certain the same applies for diesel) The 7th Gen was released in 2003 and continued to 2008 i think.

All chains, even our beloved diesels..

Guys thanks for your input so far,

I posted a link for a car earlier (accord type s)

he had it up for £4695,

Comes with auto protect 1year bronze warranty.

He has mentioned that MOT expires in September but will do it again in the next few days, the alloys need a refurb.

He's knocked the price down to £4500 inc the MOT, and he will do the refurb inclusive of the price mentioned or alternatively he said you can take it without the refurb for slightly less

What do you guys think? is it worth going there and trying to knock the price down a little more? ideally i want to pay around £4100-4200

Thanks in advance

ever driven an ep3 civic type r?
cracking cars and you get a decent one for 4.5k
if your only doing 5ooo miles a year, i wouldnt bother with a diesel

once you've purchased a fine example of a CL9, be sure to fit an intake to really let the vtec sing! B)

Welcome to TA Mo.

With that mileage, if it was me... it would be the 330i any day of the week.

But seeing as this is an Accord forum...

Well it would still be the Beemer :lol:

I just chose a 2.4 Accord over a 330i. :lol:

So much more for your money with the accord. The Beemer would have been on a 51 plate with 90k on it wheras I got an 04 plate Accord with 55k on the clock.