What's new

Squeaky clutch pedal....with a difference

Adski

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Type S
Good morning!

I suppose the short way of describing this would be that I was a little over-zealous in "maintaining" my car in as much that I started off with a perfectly fine clutch pedal, read a very helpful thread on here about greasing it, proceeded to grease it, and now it squeaks!!!

I looked all over for suitable greases and settled on a very thick Castrol LM grease. Got myself a syringe, read that very helpful thread with photographs, and feeling suitably armed, went and greased the pedal in the manner described. All was fine, and noticably smoother in fact until 3 days later when this squeaking started up. So, I got my tools out again and started to grease which fixed the problem for a few days but then, it started up again. I've done this around 5 times without success. All is fine for around 2-3 days and then it starts up again. For what it's worth, the squeaking is usually apparent first thing in the morning and then after a while into the journey, dies down. (Although last night it started up again mid journey)

My question is, what have I done?!? It seems like a very inaccessible place and I've run out of people to recruit to hold the clutch pedal down for me whilst I grease it. (My girlfriend now hates me for this very reason!) I can only manage to grease the right hand "hole" - could that be it? Have I somehow "unlubricated" it by doing this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's a horrible sound that goes right through me and sounds like something is about to break at any moment!

Many Thanks,

Adam

greasing the master cylinder may stop the squeek for a month or a week but to cure the problem a new master cylinder is required i am affraid. the best stuff to use in the meantime though is molycote spray lubricant. it is what honda reccomended for civics when we had problems with there clutch pedals squeeking. ive seen it for sale on ebay a few times.

You've not used a rubber friendly grease that will probably be causing the o-rings to swell and hence squeak. Red rubber or silicone grease are the safe rubber greases that have been repeatedly recommended in all the threads.

greasing the master cylinder may stop the squeek for a month or a week but to cure the problem a new master cylinder is required i am affraid. the best stuff to use in the meantime though is molycote spray lubricant. it is what honda reccomended for civics when we had problems with there clutch pedals squeeking. ive seen it for sale on ebay a few times.

Beefy - What are the long term issues of having a clicking/creaky peddle? Mine was bought from HH and clicks/squeaks. I've used Molykote and it's 80% better but just can't get it completely silent. It's got about 9 months of used Honda warranty on it.

long term the squeek may get a little worse but its very unlikely to fail or anything drastic. ime not sure what any of these warranties cover but if you discuss it with the sales or service manager ime sure they will be able to advise.

As above lithium grease is no good, and don't bother changing MC for the sake of noise only as I've had it done under warranty and six months down started again. Best bet is invest a couple quid on the correct grease.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ok, so it looks like I haven't just made a problem worse, I've created one from nowhere! Is the damage I've caused reversible? Ie, if I can extract most of the grease I've put in and replace it with something like red rubber grease, would that fix the issue or is it too late?

Thanks again for all your help.

Adam

I never thought of using red rubber grease. Hmmm interesting.

I never thought of using red rubber grease. Hmmm interesting.

I have. Hasn't really been successful for me, I have to redo it every couple of months :unsure: . I think its too heavy and just gets squeezed out. I've got some Molykote but just haven't got spare time yet to retry with it.