What's new

DIY - 8th Gen Auto IDTEC Brake Pad change

james2512

Members
Reaction score
Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus
Guys,

Just recently had the Accord serviced and had a small list of things that needed doing. I'm a bit of a tight wad so decided to do some of the work myself to save a few pennies!

I brought a new set of front pads from the local Honda dealer - £52 inc VAT and they keep them on the shelf.

Tools required:

1. Trolly Jack (or Honda Jack)
2. Wheel brace + 19mm Socket
3. Prying tool or screw driver
4. 7mm Hex bit or allen key
5. Brake piston pushing tool
6. Copper grease
7. New brake pads!

Sure most of the above is hidden in everyones tool box...... well except the 7mm allen key. I had to nip to halfords to buy a 7mm hex bit for the ratchet.

IMG00844-20110730-1227.jpg

Usual start, make vehicle safe etc etc and get that wheel off.

IMG00830-20110730-1102.jpg

Next step is to remove the retaining spring on the front side of the caliper. I used a small pointed prying tool but a flat blade screw drive should work well too!

Once the spring is off you will need to remove the 2x plastic caps from the retaining bolts in the back of the caliper. This where you will need the 7mm hex or Allen key to un-do the bolts holding the caliper to the hub ***embly.
IMG00845-20110730-1227.jpg

IMG00846-20110730-1242.jpg

IMG00847-20110730-1242.jpg

When the caliper is un-bolted, its best to lie underneath the wheel ***embly as i found i had to wiggle the caliper ***embly to get it from around the disc. Once clear of the disc again i found it easier to sit the ***embly on top of the brake disc giving clear access to replace the pads but also not to place any weight on the brake line.
IMG00832-20110730-1203.jpg

IMG00839-20110730-1210.jpg

Here's where i hope you have a piston pusher, I managed to borrow one off the guy next door, but did managed to pick one up today from a £1 shop! The worn pads will remove fairly easy. The pad on the piston is held in by the spring clip and the other pad is just placed in the grooves.
IMG00835-20110730-1207.jpg

IMG00837-20110730-1207.jpg

IMG00838-20110730-1210.jpg

When the old pads were out, i took a couple of minutes to clean out brake dust and copper grease up the grooves where the pads sit and slide about. Before jumping into the new pads and fitting them, note the rotation arrow printed on the pad with the spring clip. I just compared it to the pad i had removed to ensure i had the right one and popped them in!
IMG00841-20110730-1211.jpg

Now just a reversal of the removal steps no pictures here. The retaining spring can be a little tricky to put back in but take some time and it will just slot in.

With both sides done and hands washed tools packed away, i took the car for a spin around the block making sure those new pads stop me in a flash.

Overall this job took me no more than 35-40 mins including taking pictures and stopping to drink my brew.

Any questions let me know, but i hope you will all find this useful.

I cant seem to upload the pictures!!!!! keep getting the message - cant use that file type?

I cant seem to upload the pictures!!!!! keep getting the message - cant use that file type?
I'm ***uming you've uploaded them to image shack first right? or any other online image hosting site?

Good write up Jay im sure its the same for mine but with 2 pistons.

Jay thank for doing the DIY bud it appreciated , but I would have used a axle stand whilst working on the car rather than use the trolley jack .

Accident happen and the last thing you want is a car slamming on you and damaging the undercarriage.

Pepster, i couldn't agree more! thing is i actually have a set in the garage, so i do wonder why i never used them?? Must of been the excitement of getting dirty hands!

Great write up James.

Anyone know if you need a 7mm hex for the 7th gen as well? [Sorry to hijack the thread with this question].

Nice one, Jay. I'm impressed how quick you did it. It took me twice as long on my 7th gen but that did include stopping to talk to the neighbours and trying to persuade my son not to hit me with the wheel brace every 5 minutes.

Great write up James.Anyone know if you need a 7mm hex for the 7th gen as well? [Sorry to hijack the thread with this question].

Yes you do, Cliff. Alnug did an excellent DIY for 7th gen discs and pads here.

Nice one, Jay. I'm impressed how quick you did it. It took me twice as long on my 7th gen but that did include stopping to talk to the neighbours and trying to persuade my son not to hit me with the wheel brace every 5 minutes.

Cheers OB1,

I think the simple nature of this car does help and the weather was rather kind too!

Nice one mate we must ensure the quickest 8th gen on here stops as well as it goes.

I haven't change mine yet lol

that is impressive i must say.

I much admit i nether thought you could get over 70 bhp that's a staggering amount.
will the clutch take this though mate

I much admit i nether thought you could get over 70 bhp that's a staggering amount.
will the clutch take this though mate

Things look promising so far as its a different design altogether, however as we know time will tell. The thing with any power mod your gonna have to accept extra wear and tear on drivetrain it goes hand in hand.

yep very true time will tell.
perhaps it might be worth for jay to have an upgrad to twin piston brakes to stop the beast.
Its probably a straight swap

yep very true time will tell.
perhaps it might be worth for jay to have an upgrad to twin piston brakes to stop the beast.
Its probably a straight swap

I may put better disc's on when there due changing. Although is stops well but i do have to manually down shift the auto for that bit more ***istance.

Things look promising so far as its a different design altogether, however as we know time will tell. The thing with any power mod your gonna have to accept extra wear and tear on drivetrain it goes hand in hand.

So far so good but I do keep an eye on the auto box fluid levels etc, but haven't noticed any slip during heavy footed driving. I try to avoid blasting 1st & 2nd gears.

I thought on this auto box the drive is transmitted through the transmission fluid on each clutch pack?

Nice write up James.

Rep point on the way!

Winced a little to read "its best to lie underneath the wheel ***embly" when the car was supported only by a trolley jack! Glad you came out safe to do the DIY.

Easy to forget things like Axle stands in the heat of the moment though.

Nice write up James.

Rep point on the way!

Winced a little to read "its best to lie underneath the wheel ***embly" when the car was supported only by a trolley jack! Glad you came out safe to do the DIY.

Easy to forget things like Axle stands in the heat of the moment though.

Cheers CJM.

Rear pads next so I will ensure those trusty axel stands make an apperance!

Safety in mind Jay :)

Just swapped my front pads. Was going to do a DIY myself, but James2512 has got it totally covered.
All in, less than an hour including putting the tools away.
The only thing I'd add is the torque for the caliper bolts is 28Nm