What's new

Red Battery Light

MikeSutton

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen Accord
Whilst I was driving the red battery light came on.

Now all the red lights (Door Open, Handbrake, Battery light) pulse when they're on.

I have a feeling the alternator needs changing.

Has anybody got a better ideas?

Mike

I have a feeling you have answered your own question bud. Hope not though.

Im not 100% about the 6th gen but check the belt haven't snapped or come of 1st.

Sounds like it could be a grounding issue also maybe?

Ok another thing to do before the expense of an alternator is have a health check on the battery.Also check the terminals are nice and clean as well with no corrosion.

Ok another thing to do before the expense of an alternator is have a health check on the battery.Also check the terminals are nice and clean as well with no corrosion.

Battery terminals are clean and without corrosion.

I don't have a multimeter to carry out a health check.

The car starts fine though. And has started multiple times.

Hey dude.

It's eiother of three things

1 - Alternator
2 - Battery
3 - Grounding.

The first two need a mutlimeter to be checked, but the grounding. There's a few black cables flaoting about in the 6th gens engine bay. You need to follow all the cables to their earth point on the body somewhere. There should be a ground near either of the headlights, and one near the screenwash filler bottle somewhere.

Also, where does the car idle? Does it sit around the 800rpm mark? Or does it fluctuate. But check the previously mentioned things first dude. Let us know what you find mate.

If u go to a car auto spares shop they can check it for u
They can check if it's ur battery or alternator and it will be done for free :)

yep no point throwing money at the problem if it doesn't fix what's wrong

Would you recommend driving it if it has got a problem?

What are the chances of it breaking down on the road?

Without having sat in the car or driven it i have to agree with Cliff and it's kinda up to you that one. It could be a completly failed alternator, but sounds unlikely, so if it is the alternator that;s playing up then it's probably just a failing not failed unit.

My advice would be to get it checked out as soon as possible dude.

How long has this been happening for fella?

It happened Saturday. On the drive back from Snetterton :(

I haven't drivien it since, which meant I missed the BTCC races :(

I agree Si if it was me I would run it for a bit tonight and if it lasted say 15 or 20 mins I would chance it but then again that's just me !

If it happened Saturday then it should be alright to take it to a car parts place or a friendly garage to check if it's the alternator, or get it investigated.

I know there are a few places in Norfolk that would take a look at it for you. Try one of the Hi-Q garages. Only to check it though. Personally i'd never let them work on my car. Only check the alternator as i know they'd do it for free.

Good luck dude.

It might be worth taking it for a local drive for the first 5 mins or so then sit on the drive with it ticking over.

Good luck though,. Let us know how you get on!!!

Good luck dude.

It might be worth taking it for a local drive for the first 5 mins or so then sit on the drive with it ticking over.

Good luck though,. Let us know how you get on!!!

Just sat in it.

It seems all electrical circuits are pulsing. Even headlights and washer pump.

I noticed there was a whirring in time with the pulsing, so stuck my head in the engine bay and the alternator is the source.

1) Now to decide where to get one from. eBay or get one brand new?

2) Are they easy to replace?

Personally I wouldnt buy a 2nd hand one I'd buy a reconditioned one from a reputable car parts supplier/motor factors place as they will be cheaper than buying a brand new one (although get a price on both from a car parts/motor factors place).

Right, now we know the problem, lets get it sorted for you.

It's a fairly easy job to change one yourself if you're a little handy with the tools. The hardest part is trying to get the tension in the belt, and getting it all lined up.

David has the answer for you too. As he said your best bet is to buy yourself a re-conditioned one. Preferably from a 'trusted' souce. New are too expensive, and second hand (from breakers), would probably be too risky.

Forgot to add, if you can't find one, then i'll be happy to have a looksie about and see if i can find one too.

If you don't fancy fitting it you can get a mobile mechanic from Yell.com to come and do it maybe.

Unipart just quoted me £150 + They didn't have any re-conditioned.

Can anyone suggest anywhere?

I'd just like to thank everyone who's helped me with this problem.

It's very much appreciated!

Thanks for that.

Hopefully you'll be back on road very soon.