What's new

DIY - Petrol Service

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
this is evolving since i have more pics to show about servicing the filters etc..but will write up soon

Engine oil
---------------
Tools
-jack stands - gloves -Filter tool -Sump plug washer -cardboard/newspaper or whatever to catch any drips -oil receiver (basin or whatever) -10mm +14mm socket +ratchet -oil catcher or whatever - Funnel -Torque wrench

Jack up the car and support on stands.
Remove the cover which hides the drain plug (10mm bolt)
Undo the bolt and have the oil receiver underneath...best to line around with cardboard or similar in case the wind blows! undo the bolt by hand at the end and be aware oil may seep down your arm! engoil1.jpg
Leave to drain until finished and make sure the sump washer has come off the sump and refit the plug with a new washer and tighten to 44Nm engoil2.jpg
TIP if you don't have a torque wrench a good guide is to use a regular length 14mm spanner to tighten, the length prevents you from applying too much torque...you don't need to hit it with a hammer to tighten!

Now the oil filter, this is best done with the drivers side wheel off but not necessary. engoil3.jpg
I have a filter attachment which fits directly on the filter because i find fiddling with the other universal filter removers annoying B) engoil4.jpg
Place the oil reciver under the filter and twist off by hand. When you take it off IMMEDIATELY tilt the filter so the open end faces upwards that way you don't spill oil on yourself :) engoil5.jpg
Make sure the rubber seal of the old filter has come off the engine block and clean up with excess leaked oil with a rag or similar....check around the subframe...oil may have dripped into places and if not cleaned up you'll be second guessing yourself as to whether you have an oil leak when you move the car!

Place some oil in the new filter to help prime the filter and place some oil on the seal of the new filter.
Spin the filter on by HAND until the rubber seal touches the engine block, then turn it another 3/4 turn (OEM filters will have markings on them - slightly different markings depending on where the filter originated)engoil6.jpg

Fill with 4L of oil and wait for it to settle (a few minutes) and top up - the min max marks on the dip stick is about 1litre.
Start the car to circulate the oil and wait again to check oil level, top up if necessary...also MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS ON FLAT SURFACE.

SPARK PLUGS

------------------
Tools

-Spark plugs for 2.4 IZFR6K11 Iridium, for 2.0 ZFR6K11
-10mm socket (best from a 1/2 inch set since the 1/4 ones won't be long enough) +ratchet
-16mm spark plug socket or maybe a dedicated spark plug remover
-OPTIONAL (if you don't use dedicated spark plug remover) extension for ratchet annd rubber fuel hose

Take off the spark plug cover (4 bolts) spark1.jpg
Now remove the 4 bolts holding the coil packs, note position of extended bolts spark2.jpg
Disconnect the connectors and remove the coil packs spark3.jpg
Remove the spark plug (note the length of extension needed) spark4.jpg
Now if like me you have a crappy sprark plug socket which keeps leaving the rubber grabber on the spark plug :lol: grap a piece of fuel hose to help seat the spark plug...this also helps not to cross thread the spark plug seats...also you may want to apply some antiseize on the threads spark5.jpg
Once the washer of the spark plug touches the cylinder head, just turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn to seat it....it is a crush washer on the plug so don't go jamming the spark plug hard against the cylinder head..it's aluminium and can be stripped easily...once that happens.... :(
Now refit everything

AIR FILTER
------------
Tools
Cross head screwdriver (reach has to be about 6" or so) and maybe a magnet

This one is easy it's just 4 screws and the filter will come out....no need really for pics here.

excellent pics Alan, and i like the way they are displayed :D

updated now
Excuse the daft question, but can someone confirm if this is for the mk 7 (2003-2008) model Accord?

I am on the lookout for that style of oil filter removal tool for my 6th gen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy?

Thanks

Andy

Got one from Ebay 65mm, nice fit and pretty well made for the cash - was around a fiver +pp if anyone else is looking for one :)

Guys filter cup tool is on ebay and is the genuine thing..it will work for motorcycles too ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-GENUINE-OIL-FILTER-TOOL-WRENCH-REMOVER-65MM-/250824129494?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a66487bd6

Will that fit mine CJ?

Guys filter cup tool is on ebay and is the genuine thing..it will work for motorcycles too ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-GENUINE-OIL-FILTER-TOOL-WRENCH-REMOVER-65MM-/250824129494?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a66487bd6

I just done the filter today using that tool today....or a very similar clone of it (looks identical in pic but didn't ship in the Honda pouch).

Makes it real easy to get the filter off, 17mm nut on the end and was able to torque it to 16ft-lbs.

Andy

You refer to some antiseize to put on the spark plug threads.

I have some high temperature copper grease which I bought when changing my brake pads - would this do the job ok? or perhaps just a dab of oil on the thread?

Hi there. First post an all that.

Do you guys have any info on when and how to change the oil in the gear box?

Also, when is the first timing belt change due?

cheers

Hi, stick a post "introduce yourself" post in the newbie section, tell us a bit more about yourself and the car. The year of registration is pretty crucial to knowing about the timing belt and gear box oil change also.

Hi Dave,

There's no timing belt on the K20 (i.e. Tourer) only a timing chain. The gearbox oil is supposed to be done at 75K miles - but I'd do it every 3rd service (45k). It's cheap and the gearbox loves it.

jayok said:
Hi Dave,

There's no timing belt on the K20 (i.e. Tourer) only a timing chain. The gearbox oil is supposed to be done at 75K miles - but I'd do it every 3rd service (45k). It's cheap and the gearbox loves it.
Cheers for that!

Yeah, I've had a lot of confusion trying to find out whether my 03 petrol exec tourer had a belt or was chain driven.

One less thing to worry about!

Sorry, i'm new to the forums.

This looks to be a really useful topic for me but I don't seem to be able to view the photos - have the photo links become broken or is it just me?

^ though small they're there in the thread for me, and each one is bigger when I click on it

It's wierd - I can see pictures in every other thread, but not this one. If I click on the links I get a screen saying I don't have permission to view them. Must be my settings. I'll have a dig around.

It's probably because your still a pre member.
Get posting and you should be able to view the hole site

OK will do. Still a bit odd that I can see the pictures on every other post though.

Update - Spooky! I can see them all suddenly - must be replying to you that did it Brett. :lol: Thanks.