What's new

REVIEW DIY - Rear shelf speakers 2004 Type-S

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
Well here is my new upgrade following confirmation from Weeksey that the rear has a full range signal (thanks Weeksey :thumbsup), the link to that thread is here

speaker.jpg

FITTING: These are a direct fit and no extras or modding needed...you HAVE TO BE CAREFUL when buying, since if you buy a speaker which is too deep then it will hit the torsion bars for the boot. You remove the grill by unclipping (2 clips on the front and 2 push in plug clips on the back).
To connect I snipped off the old clips...but left enough wire so I can crimp them back on later when i come to sell! then crimped bullet connectors in to connect up the speakers.

REVIEW: these are Alpine Type-S sps-69c3, three way speakers...i got these since they were the same price as the 2way ones (£35...cheap when you get lucky ;) )...in hind sight maybe I should have got the 2way since the trable is quite good up front...however that maybe personal preference.

What I can say though is that the 'air' and depth the sound provides now is greatly improved...much more of a surrounding feeling too!...treble on these is still a bit shrill, and bass is slightly muddy...but it's only a week old, and I can only expect them to get better with more use.....an excellent upgrade.

Don't forget though that this is for the Type-S which has NO REAR DOOR speakers....for you exec owners with the PREMIUM AUDIO you have a set of speakers in the door too so you may not get as vast an improvement as I did.

Thanks for the write up... i have just brought a set of JBL GTO 398's for the rear deck... was unsure whether speaker adaptor's were needed but you answered this.
I have however brought a wiring kit so i can still use the OE connection to my new Pioneer head unit.
In time i will dig out my old amp and rig them up.

I did have a sub installed until recently (sounds chavy i know but i like my music :p ) but removed it as the car seemed very sluggish. Has anyone else had this problem?

Will be installing the 6x9's and will be purchasing some front door speakers soon as well and will be applying some form of Dynomat.

Cheers :)