What's new

Car keeps cutting out & it's not got an idle

accordman

Reaction score
Car
accord 1.8 vtec
Hi, can anyone help me regarding an idle issue that’s just happened on my Honda accord 1.8 Vtec 2002 this evening, it happened when i was driving to the petrol station when i noticed the car just cut out but i noticed the idle dropped right down to 0 i tried starting the car again it started back up again but only if you press the accelerator pedal other than that the car won’t start. Has this happened to anyone before? If anyone can help me it’ll be much appreciated. Thanks for a newbie :(

Mine used to threaten to stall most times (and did a few times) when approaching junctions or braking and then dipping the clutch. It started off with the revs dropping but took a few days before it started dropping all the way to zero.

After some great advice on here (lots of posts about idle problems), cleaning the Idle Air Control valve and the throttle body has sorted it; I bought some carb cleaner from Halfords and went spray happy, much better than replacing the valve at £400+ like a garage said I had to do.

If yours is actually cutting out when under power then it may be something else.

Mine used to threaten to stall most times (and did a few times) when approaching junctions or braking and then dipping the clutch. It started off with the revs dropping but took a few days before it started dropping all the way to zero.

After some great advice on here (lots of posts about idle problems), cleaning the Idle Air Control valve and the throttle body has sorted it; I bought some carb cleaner from Halfords and went spray happy, much better than replacing the valve at £400+ like a garage said I had to do.

If yours is actually cutting out when under power then it may be something else.

Just to warn you carb cleaner is not friendly to the Cat at all. It can cause alot of damage. I'm hoping you didn't run the car while you was spraying carb cleaner down it?

Yeah, I did :(

I did read the instructions on the tin though and it did say safe for catalytic converters.

I don't believe carb cleaners are not safe for the catalytic converters, since they are meant to be used with the engine running. I also used on mine with engine running and so far I have no cat problems(I guess).

Ive used carb cleaners in the past on a few different cars. Not had any problems. Just be sure to use a decent brand and dont drown the engine in the stuff. It should burn through the system ok as far as I know,.

Hi just to let you guys know that the problem is not sorted as i tried the spare key it started up also cleaning the neagtive earth terminals from the battery and now it seems to be fine.
thanks for all your help :)

I believe carb cleaner can damage the oxygen sensor too. I read something online.
I'm just cautious. When ever I do use it I ensure that it has dried properly first.

Faulty ignition barrel is a known fault on these cars leading to cutting out...let's hope that's it but if it happens again it could be that. Not a massively expensive fix.

Had a similer problem with mine, cut out a few times (I even thought my knee knocked the keys at one point) turns out it was the ignition barrel, I think it was about £80 from main dealer, or £60ish from a scrappy. Quite an easy fix took around an hour on the drive. and i'm no mechanic!

Carb cleaner is FINE to use around the cat. However, it WILL kill the O2 sensors.

Just thought i'd clarify for people. :)