What's new

battery problem

mohammed

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
accord icdti
Hi guys,i went to start my car this morning,when i put my key in it just made a funny noise(not enough power in the battery to crank it)but all the lights came up on the dash board. This also happended the other week,but i thought maybe because i left the car standing for a week,but this time it was only for 4-5 days! Now i already had changed the battery to a brand new one from costco(bosch s5) in the summer,so a bit baffled,why does the battery die so quick,but if i start the car every three dqys its ok...this one has me baffled....

Hi guys,i went to start my car this morning,when i put my key in it just made a funny noise(not enough power in the battery to crank it)but all the lights came up on the dash board. This also happended the other week,but i thought maybe because i left the car standing for a week,but this time it was only for 4-5 days! Now i already had changed the battery to a brand new one from costco(bosch s5) in the summer,so a bit baffled,why does the battery die so quick,but if i start the car every three dqys its ok...this one has me baffled....

Do you have access to an ammeter to see what the standing current draw from the battery is with the car 'off'? Would tell you if it's being flattened or it's just not holding charge. Do all the interior lights go off when all the doors are closed?

Sounds like a small drain so yeah what Matt said, the commonest drain is the boot light stopping on on most cars, just check if it's warm after an hour or so.

Probably a small drain, but also you really need to try and stick to genuine Honda batteries on the diesel car.

Probably a small drain, but also you really need to try and stick to genuine Honda batteries on the diesel car.

;) bosch silver in my car four years old and still going strong :D

The battery isnt holding charge or there is a parasitic drain or alternator has a fault.

;) bosch silver in my car four years old and still going strong :D

The battery isnt holding charge or there is a parasitic drain or alternator has a fault.

Yes shame on you Faddy, you sound like a recently departed member ;)
As long as it's got the same or more capacity, the car doesn't care :p

As others have said, easy to check with a meter though...also could be a fauly battery/cell.......

one of your screen or multimedia mods probably staying on/standby bro after you turn off ignition?!

Also after that week without using it did you do a long journey or short inbetween the next 4-5 day break? Short bursts wont really charge it, so if you keep doing short runs and low usage then the battery wont charge properly. But as the others said, check to see if there is something draining it

It does sound like a drain somewhere to me. Although, the battery could be a duff one. Really need to check the output of the alternator and the status of the battery to confirm really.

Thanks for the reply guys,when i last checked the battery (when it first went flat a week ago)it was 11.35v so it was slighlty low,and yeah most of my journeys are short(about 10-15minutes)so i think what ill do is change the battery(back to costco)but all the lights go off (interior)ill check the multimedia units and see if they still drawing power(oncethe car is switched off)after i jumped started it last time,i got a readong of 13.25v on the multimeter and drove it around for half and hour,that lasted for a few days,but 4days later its dead again will get a reading before i change it too see the amount of drain..

Thanks for the reply guys,when i last checked the battery (when it first went flat a week ago)it was 11.35v so it was slighlty low,and yeah most of my journeys are short(about 10-15minutes)so i think what ill do is change the battery(back to costco)but all the lights go off (interior)ill check the multimedia units and see if they still drawing power(oncethe car is switched off)after i jumped started it last time,i got a readong of 13.25v on the multimeter and drove it around for half and hour,that lasted for a few days,but 4days later its dead again will get a reading before i change it too see the amount of drain..

That battery is probably knackered. A 12v lead acid battery at room temperature fully discharged would measure 11.89v. Yours is a long way below that. Take it back to Costco, they never normally have a problem with returns.

That battery is probably knackered. A 12v lead acid battery at room temperature fully discharged would measure 11.89v. Yours is a long way below that. Take it back to Costco, they never normally have a problem with returns.

thanks for the reply rob, just returned to costco,and as you said they had no problem with me returning it,although something interesting happended while i was there... the mechanic had a look through his bosch books and found that the bosch does not actually recommend the battery for the accord,only upto 2003,but not beyond,so rather than swapping it over, i will take fahads advice and get a honda one.any ideas how much it is from our friends a H.H,cos i will be giving them a call tommororw,sad now no battery in car.... :( admin will i need a code for the club discount???

I think HH are doing batteries for 38.50 at the moment. I'll try and find the thread.

Here you go
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6469-your-holdcroft-honda-shopping-list-for-october/page__pid__75604#entry75604

wow thanks rob, :) is that only for the members going to the meet or everyone bud???

I don't know, but the clutch kit and headlamp offer was available to everyone. So I ***ume this one is as well.

its very rare we find battery drain problems in accords of any age but that is not to say somthing isnt draining your battery. by all means stick annother battery on your motor but if you do start having problems again i strongly suggest you get a propper dark current/ parasitic draw test carried out. at all honda dealers we have a Midtronics testing kit worth close on £2000 which tests both cranking/charging and battery states and is of course approved by honda as it is supplied by them. but main thing is getting the draw checked out as even at £30 odd quid you dont want to be throwing your money away!

Ordered the battery for the accord at bargin price...THANKYOU H.H :) , also if the problem persists i will get the car checked for dark current check,but fingerss crossed this should solve the issue...

Well recieved mine and sisters battery yesterday,car started up just fine,also after i switched the engine off i checked:the multimedia systems to see if they stay on and also the boot light,but everything switches off,and nothing remains on standby,so will be keeping my eye out on the whole situation...many thanks for all the help guys...

Well guys battery is flat again :( i have to admit i have not driven the car since putting it in 2weeks ago,but i did start the car and left it to idle every couple of days(found out this will not charge the battery)so it sound like the battery doent have enough juice to crank it,will do a jump start and take it for a breeze,and will keep doing this every 3days,now is this normal (in the diesels)as i have not driven it for 2weeks(if so how often should i be driving the car)or what else could be draining it?(have checked all the mods and everything switches off when i take key out)how can i check if the alternator is chraging the battery(although i did find out today it doesnt charge if on idle)sorry for all the questions,just a bit stumped.. :(

To check alternator, place a voltmeter across battery terminals. It should charge at idle, but being a smart alternator not all the time. As for how long can you leave the car, you should be able to leave the car easily for two weeks.
Something must pulling the battery down, or your alternator is knackered.

So what happened in the end up of this car?? Something says I bought this car 8months ago lol..