What's new

HID Bulbs

PeeJay

Members
Reaction score
Car
None
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here, I've completed around 10k miles now since I first got my Series 7 (pre-facelift) Diesel Exec Tourer. It's been utterly faultless, well, almost.

I have to admit I noticed one of the headlamp bulbs was 'out' months ago, but as I didn't drive after dark, it kind of slipped my mind, but with the seasons changing..

Anyway, I've started shopping around for replacement bulbs and was a little taken aback at the prices! Euro Car Parts are quoting around £100 EACH!

I'm planning to replace both, as the other can't be far from going, and considering the faf of removing the bumper etc to do it, I'm only planning to do it once!!

The Bulbs (Phillips DS2 Xenon I'm told) are they all the same? I.E. are they all the same fitment, would these for example fit?

http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/product/philips-xenon-hid-d2s-85122-single

They're around half the price ECP have quoted...

For starters, only the 2.4 Exec came with xenons as standard. The diesel and 2.0 didn't.
You either have a very expensive factory upgrade/ an after-market HID kit fitted or plain old halogens. You need to find out for definite what bulbs you have in the car.
The good news is that what ever bulb you have you dont need to be spending anything like £100 to get it sorted. Or even £45 for that matter.

Decent halogen- Osram nightbreaker etc £10+

HID Kit- £30+

Replacement Xenon bulbs from Ebay- £10+

Find out exactly what you have in the lights and then go nuts on Ebay.

These 3 links are all suitable for your Accord depending on what you have in the headlights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-D2S-HID-Xenon-4300K-Bulbs-OEM-Replacement-Pair-/140530449767?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b8447d67#ht_1414wt_1163

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-Xenon-Conversion-kit-Model-H1-H7-6000K-8000K-UK-/220812701014?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3369766d56#ht_4198wt_1396

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-NIGHTBREAKER-PLUS-H1-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-90-BRIGHTER-NEW-/400241963130?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3047b07a#ht_500wt_922

I like the look of those Nightbreakers!

Few questions....

Are they road legal?
Do they last more than five minutes?
How easy are they to fit?

I like the look of those Nightbreakers!

Few questions....

Are they road legal?
Do they last more than five minutes?
How easy are they to fit?

yes

yes and easy is the simple answer. they are not as good as proper xenons but are better than standard halogen bulbs.

Yes they are road legal, just a little brighter than the Honda ones. If you already know what you are doing, they are really easy to fit. Keep a close eye on which way up the ones you take out are fitted and put the new ones in the same way around. Take one bolt out and the top half of the washer bottle pulls off to get easier access to the offside bulb. I have them in my CTDI, but one blew only last week. They have been in the car for about 8mths. I have previously had Phillips x-treme bulbs fitted and they lasted about the same. I have found that these higher power bulbs tend not to last as long as the original ones, but I keep fitting them for the extra light they produce. Don't really want to go the HID route.

at the risk of turning into a threadjacker....

Can anyone suggest anything to improve on the standard sidelights? They're a bit dim and yellow. I'm reluctant to go LED (unless really well executed they can look half-witted-teenager's-Corsa, and I'm too old for that) and I don't want to go to the trouble of pulling off the wheel arch trims to gain access only to find they look ridiculous once it's gone dark.

Thanks Crespo! That's great news. I have to admit I 'discovered' I had HID by putting the reg number in the ECP site and it threw out the expensive bulbs.

Take one bolt out and the top half of the washer bottle pulls off to get easier access to the offside bulb.

Nightbreakers ordered, fitted and working.
Bonnet open to bonnet closed about 15 minutes.
Easy.
+1 for the tip about the washer bottle. That's not in the book and I had no idea it came to pieces!

at the risk of turning into a threadjacker....

Can anyone suggest anything to improve on the standard sidelights? They're a bit dim and yellow. I'm reluctant to go LED (unless really well executed they can look half-witted-teenager's-Corsa, and I'm too old for that) and I don't want to go to the trouble of pulling off the wheel arch trims to gain access only to find they look ridiculous once it's gone dark.
Try mtec 501's. They match 6000k perfect but aren't LED.

Nightbreakers ordered, fitted and working.
Bonnet open to bonnet closed about 15 minutes.
Easy.
+1 for the tip about the washer bottle. That's not in the book and I had no idea it came to pieces!

Ahhhh, so you DONT need to remove the bumper to fit them?

Incidentally, can the sidelight bulbs be done with the wheels on?

In response to my own question: Yes the wheels can stay on! (well, with standard suspension they can anyhow)

With a small flat blade screwdriver pop out the trim clips at twelve and two o'clock on the wheel-arch liner.

Flex the wheel-arch liner away far enough to reach inside.

Twist and remove the bulb holder.

Fit bulb, put holder back, re-fit wheel-arch liner and trim clips.

Done in five minutes per side.

These are better than I imagined. Upon receiving them I was alarmed at just how blue they looked (blue glass, not just blue paint) but when lit they look fine. A fairly neutral-to-cool white. A definite improvement on standard yellow, and not so blue as to look daft.

bringing an old topic from the dust,
does anybody know what type are the factory xenon bulbs - D2R, D2S? and the ballasts as well?

thanks, Alex