What's new

Additional reverse light

RichT

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2007 icdti
Hi

I would be grateful if any one could help me. I wanted to fit an additional reverse light to my car. (Its very dark where i have to reverse off my drive).
I took a feed off the reverse + ive and a good ground in the boot.
The problem that I have is that the additional light just does not work. If I disconnect the existing reverse light feed, the new one comes on. When the existing light is on, the new one will not light.
I have checked the voltage and have 11.6v at the new lights, I just cannot understand why the new light will not work.

I would be very grateful if any one has any ideas.

Many thanks.

Richard

Hi

I would be grateful if any one could help me. I wanted to fit an additional reverse light to my car. (Its very dark where i have to reverse off my drive).
I took a feed off the reverse + ive and a good ground in the boot.
The problem that I have is that the additional light just does not work. If I disconnect the existing reverse light feed, the new one comes on. When the existing light is on, the new one will not light.
I have checked the voltage and have 11.6v at the new lights, I just cannot understand why the new light will not work.

I would be very grateful if any one has any ideas.

Many thanks.

Richard

The best thing i would do is change the original bulb for a high powered LED JOB DONE.
This will save wiring an extra light IMO

I think the problem though is that the light isn't uniform and all at one side.

As mentioned bud,try a high power led light for the exsisting one,its makes THE WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE TRUST ME...

Hi
I would be grateful if any one could help me.
I wanted to have an additional reverse light on my car (it is very dark where i reverse off my drive)
I took a feed from the + ive on the existing reverse light and a good earth in the boot.
For some reason the new lights do not come on. I have 11.6 v at the new light, but it still does not light.
If i disconnect the existing reverse light, then the new one comes on. It goes out again when the exisitng one is re -connected.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

RichT

Richard you dont need to make 2 threads on this 1 is fine so be patient with reply' s.
As a spark i would say its not working because the extra light you have wired is in series and there is un sufficient currant or voltage to run both.Im no auto electrician so im guessing this as this would happen in normal 230V systems.
I'm going to merge your 2 threads together to stop confusion.

LED does not have enough light output. if you want some serious light output stick a HID kit in and lose the halogen bulb. The Americans do it on the TSX (US accord) all the time. have a search on TSX forum for a guide.
with a HID bulb on the back your drive will light up like a Christmas tree.

this way you get huge light output and don't have an ugly extra light bolted to the back of the car.

Richard you dont need to make 2 threads on this 1 is fine so be patient with reply' s.
As a spark i would say its not working because the extra light you have wired is in series and there is un sufficient currant or voltage to run both.Im no auto electrician so im guessing this as this would happen in normal 230V systems.
I'm going to merge your 2 threads together to stop confusion.

Hi
I didnt intend to make 2 threads. when i tried to post the first. the website said there was an error so I ***umed it hadnt worked

Hi
I didnt intend to make 2 threads. when i tried to post the first. the website said there was an error so I ***umed it hadnt worked
Why does that keep happening? Admin? Every time I log in there are 3 copies of some new thread!

Just had a look at some discussions by our friends over at tsx and seems some like HIDs for reversing and some go for LEDs! just a thought, would HIDs not be a tad bright for any body behind you ?

Richard although I haven't studied the circuit diagram for the accord, it's true to say all previous cars I've owned have had the reverse light switch ground the return from the light rather than supply 12V to it.
I'm guessing you made the ***umption that the switch will be switching 12V, but instead it's probably switching the -ve side (the return)

To rectify, remove your earth point in the boot and wire this to the other end of your original bulbs wiring, so effectively wiring them in parallel.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Richard although I haven't studied the circuit diagram for the accord, it's true to say all previous cars I've owned have had the reverse light switch ground the return from the light rather than supply 12V to it.
I'm guessing you made the ***umption that the switch will be switching 12V, but instead it's probably switching the -ve side (the return)

To rectify, remove your earth point in the boot and wire this to the other end of your original bulbs wiring, so effectively wiring them in parallel.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I did try that as well, with the same results.

must be your wiring then, because all you're doing in essence is wiring two bulbs in parallel. Double check you're connecting to the right wires from the original bulb.
You'll identify the right (switched) wire by ; putting car in neutral, probing the wire which should be @ 12v, then select reverse, this wire should then be grounded.

Oh hang on just checked your car is facelift, you might have a canbus wiring. Don't know much about this only it doesn't like LED lights and much modifications without perhaps load resistors etc.
Can you confirm you've got a canbus system?

would HIDs not be a tad bright for any body behind you ?

If someone had a big Accord reversing at them, I doubt the brightness of the reverse light would be too high on their list of things to worry about :lol:

We don't have CANBUS even on the facelift, and wiring as Gav stated might actually half the brightness of each bulb; giving the same total output.. Although like Brett, my auto electric knowledge is a little limited.

no canbus on FL ? so it's only 8Th Gen ?
ok, so should be a piece of pess easy

no canbus on FL ? so it's only 8Th Gen ?
ok, so should be a piece of pess easy

I would of thought it should be an easy job. I have done many electrical jobs on all my cars over the years, including this job on previous cars.
I have checked and double checked the wiring and still have the same problem.

RichT, have you got this working?

I am looking into doing the same thing, kind of... I'm going to buy a tail light from a UK Tourer and remove my rear fog light and install another reverse light instead and then use the two lights parallel. Thought the wiring would be the easy part, hmm...

RichT, have you got this working?

I am looking into doing the same thing, kind of... I'm going to buy a tail light from a UK Tourer and remove my rear fog light and install another reverse light instead and then use the two lights parallel. Thought the wiring would be the easy part, hmm...

Hi
Yes I did get this working eventually. I changed the bulb for an LED and the other reverse lights now work. Must be something to do with the power being drawn from the standard bulb??

Damn guys I missed this thread, I need to keep updatin my mods lol

I have a good mod for this, I now have LED bulb which is brighter than a standard bulb and SMD LEDs in fact nearly as bright as a HID...

watch this space guys! I'm still at testing stage at the moment!

Jav keep us posted mate. I would like to know what you did if it all works out.

Damn guys I missed this thread, I need to keep updatin my mods lol

I have a good mod for this, I now have LED bulb which is brighter than a standard bulb and SMD LEDs in fact nearly as bright as a HID...

watch this space guys! I'm still at testing stage at the moment!

updates bro...updates...