What's new

how much oil?

Hondy24

Members
Reaction score
Car
2000 accord 1.8vtec
How much engine oil does the 1.8vtec take to fill up?

I bought 5 litres of 5w 40 fully synthetic, would this be enough?

5 litres will be enough to get exact amount check in your instruction manual mate...

5 litres will be enough to get exact amount check in your instruction manual mate...

Thanks,
When I bought this car it came with no manual so I do alot of googling lol, I remember hearing it held 6.5 litres but not sure, someone should know here for definite

6.5 seems a lot to me my 2.0 holds less than 5 litres... In sure someone will confirm the correct amount!

Agree with jav on this it does seem a lot of oil.I would say around the 5l mark as well but not 100%.

My dads had the 1.8 i vtec in the 6th gen and it definately didnt hold more than 5 litres. I reckon its around 4-5 litres. I know this because I use to service it.

Someone will be able to confirm for you though.

I just serviced my brothers Civic 1.6 i and that took about 4 litres

Most Jap petrol cars of that size will take between 3.5 - 4.5 litres. Definitely not more than 5 litres though.

paul mate you car holds 3.8 / 4.3 litres, the best engine ioi for car is either castrol Edge 5W-40 (c) (3.8litres) or castrol Magnetec 10W-40 A3/B4 (4.3) so depends which one you going for bud, hope this helps... :)

Thanks for the help guys!
Just as well I asked lol, I was going to chuck in all 5 litres, I`ll put 4 litres in and see if its enough :)

Thanks for the help guys!
Just as well I asked lol, I was going to chuck in all 5 litres, I`ll put 4 litres in and see if its enough :)

Mate I strongly suggest you keep checking the dip stick as you fill. Never just pour in a set amount. I normally begin chking every 500ml after about 3.5 litres to see what the levl is of the oil and then just add as needed. Other wise if you over fill you will have to drain the oil out again and it will get mixed with the old oil.

Hope that helps

Guys,

Please be careful with any technical information you are dispensing.

Mo, if you are referring to the ICTDI diesel, then 6.5 litres is definitely wrong. It is in fact 5.9 litres and this is quoted in your owners manual.

I'm also confused by the advice you're offering regarding 3.8 or 4.3 litres of oil, which is it? It can't be both, even if the viscosity of oil is different.

My old 2.0 6th gen was 4.3 litres.

Hope that helps.

bro checked out with previous owner of accord 1.8 he said 4 litres but i still checked with castrol and this they adviced 3.8/4.3, bro sorry your right reagrding the oil limit for accord it is 6.0 and not 6.5sorry my mistake(i stand corrected) :lol: :( ;)

but here is to check reagrding the oil for honda paul:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=704482

these two amounts(3.8/4.3)was given by castrol, they give the amounts of trnsmition fluid and brake fluid etc along with what oil to use...hope this helps paul...

I've just changed my oil which is the 1.8i Vtec S,year 2000.. the book and local honda dealer said she would take 4.6 ltrs which was near bang on

Thanks for clarifying mate, looks like everyone was wrong.

This is why it's so important not to guess when dispensing technical information.

Thanks for clarifying mate, looks like everyone was wrong.

This is why it's so important not to guess when dispensing technical information.

Not a Problem.. Thats what its about helping out when you know how

the 2 different figures are for if you change your oil filter or not at the same time as doing the oil change.

I cant recall the exact figure for a 6th gen, but its definately under 5l. It tells you exactly in the user manual, thats always the first thing i read cover to cover when i buy a new car :blush:

Already confirmed by Steve above, 4.6 litres.