What's new

Windscreen

Mike c

Members
Reaction score
Car
CR V 2.0 EX
My Esgt dtec 8th gen accord has millions of spots in the front screen. They are mainly seen when driving into the sun when it is at its lowest and very strong. My local dealer says they are chips but if they are, then my bonnet should be down to the metal. The car has only covered 18k miles and yes there are a few actual chips but the majority appear to be IN the glass.
A number of years ago I owned a Fiat Regata which had the same problem . It was a decided that it was a fault in the glass and replaced without argument under warranty.

The Honda dealer says that a new screen would be £200 fitted but the painted windscreen trims tend to break when replacing the screen and cost £100 each.
Has anyone else experienced spots in front of their eyes?

As i said in your other post iv not heard this as yet.The dealer sounds to me as trying to avoid this.
If they break the window trims then this should also be covered under warranty for shoddy parts IMO.
If it were me i would go to Auto glass and ask there opinion 1st as they are experts in this.

my window has this. and yes they are stone chips. only visible in low sun light.

go to autoglass for a second opinion but I expect you will hear the same reply.

Sorry for the duplication but being new to the site I couldnt find my original posting. I think you are right about the dealer trying to get out of free replacement. I will visit auto glass to see what they say. The annoying thing is that I have had two new strips fitted , one under my deal to purchase the car due to a bad scratch and the other because the clips broke leaving the strip loose at the top.
Cheers guys

I thought the surround was covere under a recall for poor clips. Might be getting muddled though.

Hi Paul
Yes you are right, I had the second one under warranty but they say that if you have a replacement screen the clips , if broken, do not come under warranty.
I recently had a new windscreen fitted in the lorry I drive and it leaked due to the fitter using the original seal. When challenged the company who fitted the screen stated that under insurance and warranty claims , only the actual glass is covered. I think this is wrong. It is like fitting a replacement engine and refitting the old oil.

My 7th generation's windscreen is also covered with millions of white spots / chips ever since I bought it at 46k miles. It's really annoying when the sun is low and in the front. It is clearly a fault in the manufacturing / design.

Were there any recalls on the 7th gen for the windscreen? I don't want autoglass to get involved as you have to declare any replacement / repairs in the next year's insurance and it does affect your premiums if not 'no claims discount'. Thanks.

Manish.

My Esgt dtec 8th gen accord has millions of spots in the front screen. They are mainly seen when driving into the sun when it is at its lowest and very strong. My local dealer says they are chips but if they are, then my bonnet should be down to the metal. The car has only covered 18k miles and yes there are a few actual chips but the majority appear to be IN the glass.
A number of years ago I owned a Fiat Regata which had the same problem . It was a decided that it was a fault in the glass and replaced without argument under warranty.

The Honda dealer says that a new screen would be £200 fitted but the painted windscreen trims tend to break when replacing the screen and cost £100 each.
Has anyone else experienced spots in front of their eyes?

If the trims for the windscreen break, I would be telling them to change those under warranty too. You dealer is trying to pull a fast one. See you PM too.

As i said in my above post if these REMOVABLE trims break then the part is at fault.if the dealer does not fit these under warranty then get in touch with HUK.

Hi guys
whilst Honda UK have replaced my screen including the side trims they did not admit liability for any problems.When they advised that they would pay for the materials (glass , clips and side trims) the technical department did advise that the windscreen warranty was normally only applicable for around six months as any defects should have shown up by then ! I ended up paying for the fitting which was £75 plus vat. This was still better than paying for the lot. I did add a new pair of wiper blades so I started afresh, I am sure that there are more accords (any maybe other models) out there with this problem ,equally I think that a lot of them are masked by drivers who do not keep their screen as clean as they could. As mentioned in my previous posts the problem only became evident in low , very strong sunlight ( and with a very clean screen).
I think it is worth having a look at your screens and if you identify the problem contacting HUK direct.
It is amazing how much difference it makes looking through a new screen !
good luck.
Mike :rolleyes:

Huddersfield Honda quoted £550 for a new windscreen + clips + fitting. My car is 56 reg, I will try giving HUK a ring.

Hi
I was quoted around £500 for the complete refit from Honda Telford prior to my contacting HUK. I will say that my car is a sept 2009 reg so still under warranty. I hope they offer you a solution.
Good luck, mike c

Huddersfield Honda quoted £550 for a new windscreen + clips + fitting. My car is 56 reg, I will try giving HUK a ring.
Manish your car is a 7th gen so the set up will be different

i too have these spots on the screen .on a 59 plate type s.must be a honda fault
as ive not seen on any car before.