What's new

excessive petrol consumption- Type S

Davemission

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th gen 1.8 Sport
Just bought a 52 plate S type a few weeks ago and have been horrified at the thirst for petrol! At a rough estimate, I have been getting about 50 miles out of a tenners worth of juice!! (Driven normally ie no boy racer stuff). She has been recently serviced and the tyres are inflated to 38lb per corner. Is it possible that a sensor of some description has gone south and left me with a super rich mixture? It starts and runs ok but has a flat spot at low revs. I havn't noticed any excessive smoke and I can't smell any petrol smells around the car so I don't think its leaking.....
Any thoughts you may have will be very welcome and I look forward to them.....(Make 'em good guys coz I'm starting to miss my old diesel Focus!!!)
(edit) She's a 1.8 btw

Have you looked at the air filter ? If it's badly blocked it will strangle the engine and make it thirsty.

HTH
Robin

Edit - just seen the 'recently serviced' bit... should read more closely. Worth checking that the air filter was swapped though unless of course you did it yourself.

Its had a new one fitted a couple of months ago- couldnt hurt to check it I suppose... Cheers Robin

A tenner will get you under two gallons of petrol, @ 25 miles per gallon , thats your 50 miles, if its a 2.4 and driving around town that will be about right :(

A few things to check:

Binding brakes, seized caliper (put the car on a jack and see if each wheel spins freely), EGR valve, EGR plate, air-con use? If your miles are done driving round town then the MPG will be about 25.

Also driving style is a big issue. When my Mum drives her 1.8 focus she gets 36 average mpg, when i drive her car doing the same journeys i get 42. Just something to think about. I'm not saying your driving it wrong because, well it's a car :lol:

Also, have you checked the alignment of the wheels recently? Check for uneven tyre wear.

thats normal mate :) how much is a tenners worth these days lol

Jav is right it's normal

£10 gets you 1.66 gallons at £1.35 a litre.

At 30 mpg which is about right for mixed driving if that's what you are doing, you will go 50 miles on 1.66 gallons.

You might get 40mpg on a motorway run but cold start city driving would be more like 23-26mpg.

£1.35 a litre???? Vpower is £1.45 at my local Shell garage!!!! It's a penny more a litre than the diesel they sell!!!

Cheers for the prompt opinions fellas- still hard to believe a modern Japanese car could be so uneconomical tho. You pays yer money etc etc

Not exactly a Leyland Mini in the weight department remember....

Hi all!

I read a lot about fuel consumption lately and i would be happy if my car used so little fuel :D
I'm getting ~15.5mpg (~15.5-16L/100km) of fuel consumption lately and can't understand why. changed Air filter, spark-plugs. distributor cap. everything looks fine. no gas smell, no leak and no cell.
When I disconnect LAF sensor I'm getting about ~14L/100KM (town ride).
I have cheap elm327 v1.4 diagnostic interface. Checked values of first lambda and don't like them. all the time it shows 0.8V+/- (0.05-0.1) at idle or smooth driving. even if engine is not started. but when I accelerate or decelerate quickly values are changes a lot.
here is some info and log:
tableu.jpg

and LOG file http://www.2shared.com/file/HUMr-_C_/log_stoppped.html

Can anyone suggest anything?

just came to my mind, this may sound silly but have you got A/C turned off. I remember I drove around for ages before I realized that the air con was on all the time, if I remember rightly I had to press A/C button until it read on the display A/C off ( Not 100% sure of the exact display message). I manage to increase my fuel economy this way.

Has your primary oxygen sensor ever been changed, could be tired. Also the cat may be getting old and slightly blocked, these things will destroy economy.

Has your primary oxygen sensor ever been changed, could be tired. Also the cat may be getting old and slightly blocked, these things will destroy economy.

no. I think that sensor is original from factory.
I'm considering buying new one from eBay. because it cost above 100 pounds in my country (original Honda code 36531-PAA-307). and this one from ebay cost only 115$ + tax (I believe 15%)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170754720958?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_2028wt_1139

will this sensor fit to my accord? Denso code 234-9025. I have 192400-1000 09t07 installed at the moment, but it seem like this code is old and has changed now.

I've checked cat month ago. it is clear in shiny as new. no signs of clogging.

Hi all!

I read a lot about fuel consumption lately and i would be happy if my car used so little fuel :D
I'm getting ~15.5mpg (~15.5-16L/100km) of fuel consumption lately and can't understand why. changed Air filter, spark-plugs. distributor cap. everything looks fine. no gas smell, no leak and no cell.
When I disconnect LAF sensor I'm getting about ~14L/100KM (town ride).
I have cheap elm327 v1.4 diagnostic interface. Checked values of first lambda and don't like them. all the time it shows 0.8V+/- (0.05-0.1) at idle or smooth driving. even if engine is not started. but when I accelerate or decelerate quickly values are changes a lot.
here is some info and log:

and LOG file http://www.2shared.com/file/HUMr-_C_/log_stoppped.html

Can anyone suggest anything?

Could a 'slow' lambda sensor. They usually switch between 0.2 - 0.8 V about once per second (1Hz) so would need to see time base to check this is the case. You can also check the sensor is reading correctly with your diagnostic kit by temporarily causing a lean engine condition by pulling off a vacuum hose and observing the lambda voltage which should be around 0.2 V. The thing to remember is that the lambda sensor reacts to the air/fuel ratio it sees and it's also important to check for air leaks/faulty plugs/injectors etc.

this is actually not a O2 sensor. Its LAF sensor (Linear Air-Fuel). its some type of wideband sensor so there can't be pulsing like usual O2 sensor. it always shows 0.8 then at idle. I've checked today on new friend accord. graph looks the same as mine. just maybe values changes more faster than mine....

That ebay sensor will not fit, wrong end and not the correct one for your car, i can supply a denso delivered for £75. The correct one for the car.

I would also go for the O2 sensor.

You can also do something relatively easy and inexpensive, take off the catalytic converter from the car, point a light beam into it, and see if you can see the light beam. As it was mentioned, catalytic converters can get clogged , increasing the fuel consumption. A curious thing is that sometimes, they get clogged, but they still "filter" the exhaust emissions, so you can't be sure if the cat is ok by ****ysing the emissions...

Also important, check that you have the correct tire pressures and don't have a sticky calliper, which would also increase the fuel consumption...

I would also go for the O2 sensor.

You can also do something relatively easy and inexpensive, take off the catalytic converter from the car, point a light beam into it, and see if you can see the light beam. As it was mentioned, catalytic converters can get clogged , increasing the fuel consumption. A curious thing is that sometimes, they get clogged, but they still "filter" the exhaust emissions, so you can't be sure if the cat is ok by ****ysing the emissions...

Also important, check that you have the correct tire pressures and don't have a sticky calliper, which would also increase the fuel consumption...
I've already checked my cat. I took it off. pointed to the sun and saw light coming through all the area. Its definitely clear :)

I've already checked my cat. I took it off. pointed to the sun and saw light coming through all the area. Its definitely clear :)

That's great!
I am about to do the same in mine. Did you replaced the gaskets or used the old ones?

That's great!
I am about to do the same in mine. Did you replaced the gaskets or used the old ones?
I used old ones. Just applied some special exhaust grease which hardens when gets hot.