What's new

MOT results

john_d

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saab 9-5 Aero
well just back from the MOT station with the wifes accord, failed for the follwing:

windscreen washer jet, ******ed and need a new 1

front (flexi) exhaust major leak of gas

headlamp insecure, same lamp also aim too low

front brake judder

and the biggy, "offside front subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded", im hoping thats a diy welding job!

all in all not to bad - anyone know a decent place to buy the exhaust flexi pipe?

Hi

How old is the accord?

The reason I ask is that my 02 accord failed on the front subframe mounts last year, MOT station quoted £360 + VAT for the work.... I took it elsewhere and was done for £90

Must admit I thought rust was 'a thing of the past' with most chasis being constructed to last much longer than they used to in years gone by....

It's a x reg 2001 my dad can weld I'm just hoping it's in a place that easily accessable.

kind of depends...

they are ok to get at, but mine had to have new nuts welded into the new structure, so that the subframe could be re-bolted back together ...

John get one off a breakers mate. There will be loads of them about as they're not usuually a part that fails. As Andie has said about the subframe it's a pretty simple job for a good garage to do, and sounds like he got a hell of a good price!!! The cost of subframe welding is usually about £150-£200.

Any idea what's causing the brake judder?

brake judder will be warped front discs if you can feel it through the steering wheel under braking.

Yep agree with Marcus on that

I call that brake 'wobble', cause the steering wheel sort of wobbles in your hands. I had that problem when my disks were warped so replaced them with Bremtechs. When he said brake judder, i thought he meant that the car was bouncing. Like the ABS was biting too hard and then releasing.

Miscommunication huh? It's a flaming nightmare on these forums!!! :huh: :p

Just to add my prelude had brake judder due to seized slider pin. Check that too

the discs are warped, told her loads of times "use the handbrake", but no she just sits with her foot on the brake.