What's new

High mileage club?

Tanna

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I was wondering who has the highest mileage on their Accord diesel? The only reason I ask is because I am in a bit of dilema having just bought an 2005/55 Accord CTDi with 98k FHSH and not sure wheather I should keep the Accord or sell it and hold onto to my 406 hdi?

Now the 406 has covered 155k and has been very good to me apart from the usual service items/replacing the rear shockers it has never needed anything major.

I really like the Accord diesel but am concerned about the timing chain issue these cars have? What is your verdict chaps I do cover a lot of miles around 20k a year... I know the 406 hdi can do 300k easily is this the same thing I can say about the Accord diesel or would the timing chain/engine give up?

I was wondering who has the highest mileage on their Accord diesel? The only reason I ask is because I am in a bit of dilema having just bought an 2005/55 Accord CTDi with 98k FHSH and not sure wheather I should keep the Accord or sell it and hold onto to my 406 hdi?

Now the 406 has covered 155k and has been very good to me apart from the usual service items/replacing the rear shockers it has never needed anything major.

I really like the Accord diesel but am concerned about the timing chain issue these cars have? What is your verdict chaps I do cover a lot of miles around 20k a year... I know the 406 hdi can do 300k easily is this the same thing I can say about the Accord diesel or would the timing chain/engine give up?
Hi,Tanna,I bought two years ago accord with 130k,I know that is plenty miles on 2004,but some cars has more on inthernet.So I desided to buy.I changed already timing chain,bouth driveshafts.Every year I traveling meet mother ,father and friends.This trip is 1381 miles one way.Always I check engine oil,and level the same.I think,that this mileage isn't big.Because diesels engine are more strongest then petrols.

I've seen a few Accord diesels with over 200k now without major issue. You have 27k miles to see if the timing chain issue presents itself, I would keep it and look after it. It will look after you.

I've seen a few Accord diesels with over 200k now without major issue. You have 27k miles to see if the timing chain issue presents itself, I would keep it and look after it. It will look after you.

My car had its chain replaced at approx 180K miles just before I bought it. I have the Honda bill which was for approx £1200 quid.

Im on 183,000 miles now. No major issues, chain is a little noisy but I can deal with that. If bought independatly chain is approx £50 and the oil pump chain £20, guides & tensioners have to be bought seperatley - labour is the main issue

How expensive is the chain to change as a pre-emptive measure?

Hi Tanna,

I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you; I bought a 94k 06 Accord diesel to replace a trusty 02 VW Bora TDI with 137k on the clock. I'm also going to cover 20k in 12 months.

I've nearing 107k now and although the chain is a little noisy if I'm honest, the car has been great. I've taken advice from this forum and undergone the self-servicing route so I can look after it properly at a reasonable cost. The exhaust manifold was changed under warranty and I also paid to have the fuel filter done at the dealer (didn't fancy that task) but other than that, it's just oil and filter every 10k.

I'm planning to keep my Accord for a minimum of three years. I agree with Fahad; it's just important to look after the car and I'm sure it will be fine. The Bora, perhaps like your 406, was a tough machine but the Accord is miles better to drive, so I'm happy with my choice.

Hi Tanna,

I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you; I bought a 94k 06 Accord diesel to replace a trusty 02 VW Bora TDI with 137k on the clock. I'm also going to cover 20k in 12 months.

I've nearing 107k now and although the chain is a little noisy if I'm honest, the car has been great. I've taken advice from this forum and undergone the self-servicing route so I can look after it properly at a reasonable cost. The exhaust manifold was changed under warranty and I also paid to have the fuel filter done at the dealer (didn't fancy that task) but other than that, it's just oil and filter every 10k.

I'm planning to keep my Accord for a minimum of three years. I agree with Fahad; it's just important to look after the car and I'm sure it will be fine. The Bora, perhaps like your 406, was a tough machine but the Accord is miles better to drive, so I'm happy with my choice.
Was the chain noisy at the time your purchased the vehicle or did it happen recently? What oil do you use? I ask this because I think that the 0w 30 Mobil 1 oil in my car is not right for my car as the engine sounds a bit louder and when you look at the dip stick it looks very thin... I think I may change the oil filter and replace the oil with CASTROL EDGE 0W-30 as per recommened by Honda. B)

Tanna as long as the oil meets Honda specs, then no worries. As Fahad has said and I agree, as long as you treat the engine the engine will look after you. Thin is ok, 0W30 is thin and you'll get good mpg.

The chain was noisyish when I got it. Although I'd done my homework on this forum before buying, I hadn't really read about chain issues. The car has a full service history but there was a slightly long gap between two of the services with the previous owner; it could be this, or dealers using the wrong type of oil, that caused it to wear.

I use LubeTech's EXOL oil now for self-servicing - do a search in this forum to learn more. You buy a 25-litre drum so it's quite cost-effective to do it yourself.

The engine has been fine under this regime - certainly not any noisier - and on my daily 80-mile round commute on the M25/M40, I get well over 60mpg.

Mines on 176K, runs fine, mine gets oil and filters every 10-12K, a good check over/lube every couple of weeks. Mine doesn;t burn any oil between services. I cover between 25-30K pa.

If I'm honest the suspension is probably a little tired/softer than it would be, the drivers seat is worn both in bottom cushion support and the leather itself but other wise its a comfy old bus.

Its not an "exciting" drive in the way my last few cars were but it does the job it was bought to do.

Hi. I have an 2004 diesel Accord with 390.000Km, 244.000 miles, I bought it with 190.000km and the failures taht I had till now were:

- Aircon pulley need to be replaced around 240.000Km
- Aircon controler needed to be repaired around 300.000Km (soldering in the connector broken)
- Turbo failure at 350.000Km, I bought a used one
- Craked exaust manifold, it was repaired with soldering, I think the the first craks appeared around 320.000km till around 360.000km begins smell gases inside the car and begin to make noise at idle around 370.000km

Best regards,

200k passed last week :)

IMAGE_263.jpg

thats a serious milestone, an major issues and how long have you had the car?

wow we got some serious miles. but its got the honda badge on it so its going to keep going.. look after it well and its going to be all good..
dont mean to crash the topic, but who has the lowest miles on there Diesels ? im currently on 44k for 56 plate

I'm on 186k had a fair few issues when I brought it on 180k one being the chain which is done now other being the dreaded vsa . BIt it drives like it's done 18k have alot of faith in these engines :) ( touches wood)

I've seen many at well over 200k miles but the best one was 475k running a stage 1 egr off remap! It was a local taxi and he went through two clutches and flywheels in around 340k miles of driving in 5 years.

And the best bit, original turbo!

sciroccopt said:
Hi. I have an 2004 diesel Accord with 390.000Km, 244.000 miles, I bought it with 190.000km and the failures taht I had till now were:

- Aircon pulley need to be replaced around 240.000Km
- Aircon controler needed to be repaired around 300.000Km (soldering in the connector broken)
- Turbo failure at 350.000Km, I bought a used one
- Craked exaust manifold, it was repaired with soldering, I think the the first craks appeared around 320.000km till around 360.000km begins smell gases inside the car and begin to make noise at idle around 370.000km

Best regards,
Hi, an update :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203435694973484&set=a.2229259711429.83402.1845935486&type=1&theater

I must be unlucky , I bought mine with 51k on the clock before it had done 52k it developed a serious oil starvation problem and put a rod through the block , managed to source one with 31k on the clock , though I couldn't get proof of that , and the reports I read the scrappers have a good reputation , when the noise started couldn't pull over and was in traffic at a snails pace , then the bang happened , first time in my life an engine as gone on me , and to the gent who is contemplating whether to keep is Peugeot 406 or Honda , keep the Honda , bad experience with a 607 , would never buy a froggy car again .

I'm fast approaching 150K now :huh: . Engine and gear box still feel great. Spent a lot on the suspension and drive shafts the last few years which I guess accounts for something. That said, I'm starting to get rust bubbles on wheel arches, the bonnet and every time I need work doing it's proving problematic as everything on the under side of the car is seized up... Gonna just keep soldiering on though. Hopefully I can still afford to keep it on the road until something major goes.

I have 161k miles on mine, 6k oil changes since I have it, Fuel and Air every year,
Manifold is split and I have a new one to fit when the temps rise a bit.
Set of Mich Pilot Sport 4 just arrived this evening so they will be replacing the worn Goodyear efficientgrips which are the current covers, looking forward to many more miles in this car, its a great drive.

Mine has crossed155K mark now, so far still going good. Engine has started to sound slightly noisier though (which is expected i guess after 5+ years of owning lol)

My 2006 diesel Tourer is now on 209,000 miles. No problems to date apart from a clutch being fitted at 160k. It still runs sweet, uses no oil, and easily returns 50+ mpg on the motorway. Incidentally mine was remapped by Fahad when it was on about 130k, so to those who are worried about reliability after a re-map - Don't worry :)

Mine's done 186,000, getting some niggly issues as you would expect but I'm really happy with the engine and gearbox. I wouldn't buy another unless I was sure the same old, same old design/manufacturing problems had already raised their ugly heads and had been sorted out on it eg. VSA

Hi to all,

From a brand newbie - acquired a 2006 / 55 model diesel tourer exec about 3 weeks ago. One owner from brand new, every service on time, at Honda, 16 service stamps, £9k+ Honda invoices, original sales invoice, 2005 sales brochure, etc, etc,

It's had the standard stuff done under warranty, manifold, pass air bag etc, and then niggly bits for a tourer inc. rear calipers.. Last MOT @ Honda advisory free.

It's got 158k miles and drives like 58k.

It's on its original clutch, so I guess it's going to die tomorrow ;-)

I sold my 2004 Volvo V70 D5 which had 631,000 miles to buy this Accord.

So it's only just running in?

Seriously - how long does a clutch on one of these last for? It's just had brakes and pads @ Honda, Continental tyres, engine oil, filter, brake fluid last 3 months.

Surely 150k+ for any modern-ish diesel these days is the norm?

Passed 315.000 (not miles haha) should be around 200k miles I guess. Everything is fine just dont know if timing chain and clutch was changed so we will see how it goes :) Honda dealers told that they recommend changing chain every 250k km which should be about 150k miles. Dont know if thats true