What's new

slow starting in cold weather.

albinoni

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 diesel tourer
Hi, have any of you guys noticed your CDTI being hard to start with the temperature dropping? Mine started today, but took quite a long time - normally it's on the button. Just given the car to the Mrs, as she has a big daily commute and hoping this isn't the start of a problem?
Cheers
Andy

Put the clutch peddle down this disengages the gear box so will turn a lot easier.If not you might need a new battery.

could be early signs of a weak battery. They normally get worse in winter

Yeah actually I noticed that too! Maybe it'd be a good idea to heat it first? I was told by my mechanic to turn off the radio and air-con before turning off the car, I don't know that it makes much difference but its a force of habit at this stage.

I don't have my auto lights on or my aircon or the auto wipers nor the electric wing mirrors on before starting the car. I like to think it makes a difference :)

definately worth checking the glo plugs,especially if the miles are getting on a bit...and if it was really cold where you are,the fuel filter(any water in it will freeze).

As stated,dip the clutch and try switching on let the glow plug light go out, then switch off, then on again glow plug light out then start.

I too heard a double glo plug cycle helps things....

Just a check, what oil have you in the engine? This is the time of year that viscocity reallly plays a part when its cold.

All the above will help but unless you have some undetected charging problem this all points to the battery going. Modern batteries seem to perform fine for a very long time then die very quickly, with little or no warning. I think Holdcroft had a offer on a new battery for less than £40 delivered.

If it's the battery you should be able to hear the starter motor struggling compared to normal due to the drop in voltage of the dying battery. Mine certainly was.

i was having this prob for a couple of days and today it decided that it did'nt want to start at all. Had to wait an hour or so for the breakdown guy to come and get me sorted. He seemed to think that there was dead cell in the battery, and advised me to get it changed sooner rather than later. I've ordered a bosch Battery from carbatteriesonline, just hope the car gets me to work for next couple of days or so until it arrives :unsure:

not sure about the battery.the first post says it took a while to start...does that mean it turned over for a long time before actually firing?(which would surely indicate a healthy battery)...or a long time because the engine was barely turning over(ie very slowly)?