What's new

DPF regeneration...

St3ve

Members
Reaction score
Car
Audi A5 Sportback
Hi All,

Had the DPF warning 'check system' come on last week where the dealer forced a regen.

Today the warning has come back on after doing a reasonable drive into Birmingham and back last night, around 25 miles each way.

It's booked in to be checked on Monday again.

Does this sound normal? Car is just 2.5yrs old and just shy of 40k...

Cheers

If it keeps needing a regen then possibly a knackered DPF. Are you doing a lot of short start stop journeys?

Of recent weeks, yes, but I would have thought last nights run would have been enough to allow a regen during the drive...

Also, I've seen comments to say there should be a message appear when a regen is taking place, but have never seen one?!

Not all DPF cars have a light, not sure on the accord - i think the light only comes on when there's a fault.

the light will come on when it needs a regen...but if its just had a forced one it shouldnt be back on already...back to the dealer for you mate...dont see you having a problem getting the dpf replaced if its knacked already and the car is still under 3 yrs.it is possible if the filter has been really clogged and will need another forced regen.i have only seen one being replaced and that had done 80k!

Interestingly once the regen was done and I was driving away from the dealers, I noticed a big increase in drivability and seemed to have more power (than just before it went into limp mode), but earlier this week, I noticed the power drop off and it loose some of its character.

Usually the car is driven for long periods up and down the M40, but not so much of late, short trips, but I do make sure I do a good run at least once a week to allow the process to work.

Is it likely that the DPF could be at fault for a reasonably young age / milage ?

Hi All,

Had the DPF warning 'check system' come on last week where the dealer forced a regen.

Today the warning has come back on after doing a reasonable drive into Birmingham and back last night, around 25 miles each way.

It's booked in to be checked on Monday again.

Does this sound normal? Car is just 2.5yrs old and just shy of 40k...

Cheers

After you have been to the dealers again, I would thoroughly recommend a good 30-40 minute drive at 60-70mph but try and avoid going into sixth gear. Let it rev high. I do this quite frequently but have been lucky that I've not had a regen issue at all with my I-DTEC thus far, but my driving pattern is more m-way driving than stop/start etc.

If after this regen clearance you get another issue, I would ask they replace the DPF.

Just been on a 30min / 30 mile drive up the motorway. Left it in 4th which was just over 3k rpm for all of the way bar islands when turning round.

Sadly the warning is still there when I switched the engine off and back on again.

:(

Once the car is in limp home mode only the dealers can regenerate it.good job your car is still under warranty,mine wasn't it cost me £980 for a new one

Interesting... I was under the impression a good drive could clear it... Wil have a chat to the tech on Monday.

The dealer has also said they don't have any courtesy cars until over the Christmas break, which will leave me in a pickle if it needs a new DPF and have to wait for parts.

Is it reasonable to expect a courtesy whilst mine is in for repair?? Normally it wouldn't bother me, but have appointments coming up which I can't jump on the train for..

Of course - I would definitely ask for a courtesy car while yours is with them.

I had mine serviced a couple of weeks and because the service was on a weekend, I had a hybrid Jazz from Saturday-Monday.

(Which was a darn good little car by the way!)

Thing is they have already said they don't have any cars until the Xmas break, so don't know if I'm just being an **** by asking for one...don't really have the option of another dealer locally either...

Thing is they have already said they don't have any cars until the Xmas break, so don't know if I'm just being an **** by asking for one...don't really have the option of another dealer locally either...

Tough one mate.

See if you can rent another car and see if they can meet the cost?

My dpf warning light came on a few months ago, just after a service. My car had only done around 18k at the time and having never heard of this system before I immediately stopped and got manual out of the glove box to find out what was wrong. The book explained the meaning of the warning light and recommended to drive the car for around 15 minutes at reasonably high revs and the regeneration would take place. I followed the instructions and sure enough the light went out.
My usual driving habit is to and from work which takes just 7 minutes each way. I have since changed my route to exclude stop start driving where possible and to include approximately 1 mile of higher speed travelling. Strangely My mpg has raised by at least 3 since changing my route. The dpf light has not shown itself again but having read the above i must admit to being a little nervous about seeing it again. Maybe a diesel was not the best choice in my case. My car is under warranty until September 2012 so I will be keeping a watchful eye on this little beasty.
Regards Mike c
Ps happy New Year all.

Quick update... Dpf check warning came on for a second time. Dealer had to do a force regen which they did and I've done a few long journeys since then and the light ha stayed off. Will be keeping an eye on it though as don't fancy shelling out for a new dpf!!

Quick update... Dpf check warning came on for a second time. Dealer had to do a force regen which they did and I've done a few long journeys since then and the light ha stayed off. Will be keeping an eye on it though as don't fancy shelling out for a new dpf!!

Pretty sure you wont need a new DPF. Unfortunately as with all modern diesels, driving styles wildly affect regen. As you say, you've done a few long journeys - that should keep things in the clear for a good while yet. Keep us posted.

Just dragging this one up...Now used on a daily commute of 35 miles and no more warnings...Although it does not feel as strong in terms of pull compared to driving away from the dealership...

Question though - Has anyone ever seen the 'DPF Regeneration in Progress' light appear on the display?

Just dragging this one up...Now used on a daily commute of 35 miles and no more warnings...Although it does not feel as strong in terms of pull compared to driving away from the dealership...

Question though - Has anyone ever seen the 'DPF Regeneration in Progress' light appear on the display?

Never seen the light on the display Steve. When you say the pull doesnt feel as strong - could it be the turbo?

Also, best to give it a bit of beans when you drive - a few high revs ought to clear out any gunk that could be congesting somewhere.

Never seen the light on the display Steve. When you say the pull doesnt feel as strong - could it be the turbo?

Also, best to give it a bit of beans when you drive - a few high revs ought to clear out any gunk that could be congesting somewhere.

Always possible its the turbo, split boost hose, etc. Just weird that when it came out from a regen, it immediately felt stronger compared to 'normal' before being touched by the dealer.

Just recall something in the manual saying a light would appear when a regen is taking place so that you could keep your speed constant, etc.

Also, it's driven hard quite a lot of the time... :D

Its probably something-n-nothing to be honest Steve because the features you describe are far from consistent, save the fact you require a regen every so often.

I suspect now you're giving it a bit of hi-revving action, I think your performance will return on its own.

Hi guys
the dreaded light has come back on again tonight (strangely enough I was on the way to my local dealer to look at the new Civic). The service manager has booked the car in for a regen on Monday and he says he will take a digital note of the situation so that if , after the regen the light reappears, Honda UK will have a record of the event. I asked if I should give the car a blast to try to do a regen myself over the weekend and he advised that this would give him a problem if he was to pursue a replacement DPF under warranty as they have to go through the procedure of taking the digital note WHEN THE LIGHT IS SHOWING. I will take his advice and drive steadily until the visit on Monday.
Over the last few weeks I have only done short trips and with the weather being so cold the engine is barely warming up, I would imagine that this hasn't helped the situation.
I think that prospective buyers should be made aware of the failings of the DPF system if they intend to carry out mostly short journeys.
I am seriously considering getting rid of my beloved Accord ESGT if this problem continues. Unless of course I move to a Petrol version. :(
I will let you know what happens .
regards Mike c

I don't understand what you mean by a dpf delete is this something the owner can do or is it a techy type job.
The dealer did the forced regen today and the warning light has disappeared. I am back to full power again. The dealer has said that if the light returns he will get the dpf replaced under warranty. He says that dpf failure is very rare and they have only had to replace 2 so far.

DPF failures on the Accord or any other car for that matter are not rare.. Nobody has fully cracked the trouble free DPF implementation yet.

You can't do a DPF Delete whilst the DPF is still in the car. The DPF is a module that sits inline in the exhaust system. Even if you deleted it from the ECU, it would physically still be there and become clogged up.. and even worse, without the regen cycle in the ECU, it would just choke up and blow everything back up to the turbo and engine.

You either need to physically remove with a new bypass pipe (relocating the sensors back into the new pipe) or do what we did with the Vectra last week.. smash it through B) and then remap with the DPF regen cycle removed.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8471-dpf-delete/page__p__94789__hl__dpf__fromsearch__1#entry94789

or do what we did with the Vectra last week.. smash it through B) and then remap with the DPF regen cycle removed.

Thats what I meant. Instead of using a bypass pipe that could easily be seen. You would modify the original dpf then get it remapped to stop the warning lights come on. You would then have no problem as far as Im aware and have increased your mpg too.

Well, not having much luck :(

This week I've been back and forth to Leeds three times (600 miles in 3 days) all up the M1...plenty of opportunity for the DPF to regen you would have thought...

Anyone want to take a guess what went ping on the dash a short while ago :angry: :angry:

Supposed to be back tomorrow too.grrrr

Will see what the dealer says in the morning; previously they did say if the DPF went again; they would order a replacement.

Ah well...

Also been keeping an eye on my fuel usage which isn't that good really...

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/383332.html

Out of interest, what does everyone else average?

Well, not having much luck :(

This week I've been back and forth to Leeds three times (600 miles in 3 days) all up the M1...plenty of opportunity for the DPF to regen you would have thought...

Anyone want to take a guess what went ping on the dash a short while ago :angry: :angry:

Supposed to be back tomorrow too.grrrr

Will see what the dealer says in the morning; previously they did say if the DPF went again; they would order a replacement.

Ah well...

This has to be a major fault. I would insist on nothing less than a full on replacement Steve. Which I am sure they will do. This is very rare, especially if you have been blasting up/down the motorway.

Also been keeping an eye on my fuel usage which isn't that good really...

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/383332.html

Out of interest, what does everyone else average?

As I mentioned on another thread, my average floats anywhere between 55-70mpg. Thats all m-way though. Around town, I have had it plummet to 26mpg! Short trips though can vary between 35-40mpg. Give or take a few.

This has to be a major fault. I would insist on nothing less than a full on replacement Steve. Which I am sure they will do. This is very rare, especially if you have been blasting up/down the motorway.

As I mentioned on another thread, my average floats anywhere between 55-70mpg. Thats all m-way though. Around town, I have had it plummet to 26mpg! Short trips though can vary between 35-40mpg. Give or take a few.

Thx Saj; my daily commute is 70 miles round trip of which 70% is either motorway or d/c.

On my trips this week, avg to Leeds & back was 44, week before was 36 & 39...deffo not right!!

Steve, wouldnt be at all surprised if the DPF issue is calibrating your mpg incorrectly. Makes sense in a way.