What's new

Bosch Fuel Filter Removal

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord i-ctdi
I Guys - I'm attempting to change the Fuel FIlter on my 05 accord diesel - thanks to the great tutorials here i am getting there, but i cant seem to free up the filter to get it from its housing - there are two bolts on the right - one above the other that i have loosened - is this correct? It wont budge - there is a bolt on the left that i have also tried to loosen - still nothing - am i gone wrong?

thanks

D

Hello
From memory I believe there is a bolt behind the fuel filter too. However its a little difficult to get to. Hope that helps.

Hello
From memory I believe there is a bolt behind the fuel filter too. However its a little difficult to get to. Hope that helps.

Thanks Shabz -

id say you are correct - according to this great thread anyway

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/118-diy-full-engine-service-on-the-pre-facelift-i-ctdi-accord/page__p__428__hl__bosch+filter__fromsearch__1#entry428

"The hardest bit is the rear 10mm bolt at the back of the Filter bracket. It's a pain as you can't easily access it and have enough room to swing a spanner. I've seen Holdcroft do this and they use a special 90 degree pneumatic tool which just whips it off in seconds. I've done this job a few times now and the best way to do it is to get hold of a small (the smallest you can get) ratchet knuckle (wobbly bit or whatever you call it) with a 10mm socket on it. Just be patient, it will come loose."

Is this like the "ratchet Knuckle" that is mentioned? Must go get one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PC-IMPACT-UNIVERSAL-JOINT-SET-SOCKET-ADAPTER-RATCHET-/290650668915?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D190610504816%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5305518258467166310

Today I got a new fuel filter and got stuck in changing it. removed the engine cover, then unplugged the MAF from the air box, undid jubilee clip airbox/intake, remove three bolts holding air box two at the front one at the back, now try to remove from engine bay, "tight" or what? disconnect pos battery terminal and loosen bolt holding relays on same side, jiggle the air box and eventually it gave in and came out. Manuals do not explain what a pig it is. Now to the primer bulb, remove top/front cover a doddle, then the back bracket one bolt is easy to see and remove, the other? behind the bulb and hiding, solution unclip fuel pipes from bulb and remove, now we can see the bolt, remove and take the back bracket away. Unclip the pipes on the filter and slide off, undo bolt on bracket, grab the filter and pull up, it comes easy until it fouls the bulkhead, then there is no choice but to tilt it and pull, it does come out!! Refit new filter, pipes and clips, tighten the bracket bolt, replace the bulb bracket (back) connect pipes to bulb and place into bracket, may help to leave one pipe off until in position. replace front bulb cover, jiggle the airbox back into place, the rear hose has a clip,the front one no clip but tight to slide on bolt up, connect MAF cable, squeeze bulb 40/50 times until hard start engine, rev it 3/4 times note a steady tick over, jobs a good un. Wash hands, bathe the scars, if you do not stop bleeding within ten minutes get down thwe nearest A&E.

The above is a description of how I did mine, just undo the bolt on the left side of the bracket, take it out completly, the twist and turn the filter it will move, do not be afraid of it, it is a Honda you are dealing with, you will not break anything except maybe the skin on the back of your hand, I explain how to deal with this as well. GOOD LUCK

The above is a description of how I did mine, just undo the bolt on the left side of the bracket, take it out completly, the twist and turn the filter it will move, do not be afraid of it, it is a Honda you are dealing with, you will not break anything except maybe the skin on the back of your hand, I explain how to deal with this as well. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for that - so the filter will come out in its holding bracket? ok - think i will try that -

thanks again

Did you crack it in the end? I'll be attempting mine for the first time in a week or two...

i found the best way to get that 10mm bolt is by getting a cheap but long handled spanner and chop the open end off.
this can then slide down between the filter and bulkhead and it does take a bit of time but it has worked well for my 2 filter changes :)

Guys the small ratchet knuckle works best, I've tried the spanners too and trust me the knuckle is the best way. Just be patient and make sure the socket is hooked on the bolt head properly and flat.

Did you crack it in the end? I'll be attempting mine for the first time in a week or two...

the only thing that cracked was me!

no - i think i might be on the wrong track

ok see the attached image

Fuel FIlter Image

- (not of my car - but from another thread) - arrow on
the right is towards the two bolt that face you - i losened them both - then on
the left is another arrow in the general direction of another bolt that i
lostened - it runs left to right, parallel to the bulkhead -

how wrong am i? there must be another bolt somewhere i just cant see.

UNCLIP ALL THE PIPES, get the bulb out of it, and shove them out the way, yes I know it says do not deform, beleive me you would need a blow lamp to alter their shape, the undo the one set bolt on the left as you look at it, twist and lift the filter it will come out. It fouls the bulkhead at full lift, but will then tilt towards you and come out. Just make a note of which filter pipe was to the front and slip the new one back into the holder. refit the pipes and bulb squeeze 40/50 times to get it hard, and start the engine let it run for a minute or so ,then blip the throttle if it settles back down to a steady tickover job done. refit the air cleaner box and remove blood from fore arms, you may not require stitches. LOL

UNCLIP ALL THE PIPES, get the bulb out of it, and shove them out the way, yes I know it says do not deform, beleive me you would need a blow lamp to alter their shape, the undo the one set bolt on the left as you look at it, twist and lift the filter it will come out. It fouls the bulkhead at full lift, but will then tilt towards you and come out. Just make a note of which filter pipe was to the front and slip the new one back into the holder. refit the pipes and bulb squeeze 40/50 times to get it hard, and start the engine let it run for a minute or so ,then blip the throttle if it settles back down to a steady tickover job done. refit the air cleaner box and remove blood from fore arms, you may not require stitches. LOL

you know i actually didn't try twisting it in its "cup holder" as i call it - i may try this again but it will be the weekend.

thanks for the tip - i know what you mean about the stitches - its like a box of cheese graters under there!