What's new

Had it a week and its started cutting out

speedthing

Members
Reaction score
Car
TYPE S Tourer
Hiya chaps sorry if this is in the wrong place ive got a cutting out problem i have done a search and ive found the sticky and had a good read but from what ive red other people havnt had quite the same problem
my problem seems to happen when cold and has only happened twice so far if i start it up from cold let it idle for a few mins then drive off slow after a few seconds if you go to accelerate you get no power if you put your foot
on or off the pedal nothing happens and then it just cuts out im sure its air in the fuel cuz its then a pain to start it will start then cut out a few times it will then start if you keep the revs up for a few secs and then drive off it will
drive all the way home which is 10 miles with out a hitch sweet as a nut ive checked the fuel filter and its been on a while the only marks i can find on it is AA and 22/09 is this a honda filter? dose this sound like a filter problem?.
cheers Alun

By the sounds if it you have an after market FF.get it changed for a genuin Honda one and all your problems will be solved.

hello
My first suggestion would be to try and change the fuel filter with a genuine and I repeat genuine honda fuel filter. These cars are very picky about the fuel filter.
Do you know when the last time the filter was changed?

I am going to chime in and just confirm what the others have already said. its your fuel filter. Just make sure your new filter is genuine Honda when you replace it.

Alun,

I see from another post that it is a 54 plate so it should be a Bosch fuel filter.

Some of the symptoms indicate the fuel filter and as you say there could be air in the system, is there anything on the service records that indicate whether the filter has been replaced?

If you cannot tell when the filter was last changed then it is generally a good idea to replace it with a new genuine filter as the fuel filter can cause quite a few issues and as the guys have more than already pointed out it is top of the culprits list.

Have any lights on the dash flashed at all?

How does the car idle, smooth or uneven ?

What happens if you accelerate quite quickly, is there big hesitation or is it quite instant ?

I take it you have read these threads, but I have linked them just for reference

I-CDTI Engine cuts out when accelerating

DIY: I-CTDI Fuel Filter drain and bleed procedure Pre facelift, Bosch filters

hello
My first suggestion would be to try and change the fuel filter with a genuine and I repeat genuine honda fuel filter. These cars are very picky about the fuel filter.
Do you know when the last time the filter was changed?
ive only just got it but it does have a full service history tho only the first 12k service was done at a honda dealer the rest by independant garages its on 133160 miles and it was seviced last at 129683 miles on the 03/06/2011 and it states on that service that the fuel filter was changed but im
wondring if the marks on the filter (AA 22/09) is a production date which im thinkings a bit to old for a filter if it was changed last june.

the first time it did it i started it from cold on my drive and moved it about a few times then just let it idle i noticed that after a few mins the engine stated to get louder more knockey then cut out just like it had run out of fuel it had half a tank so wasnt out of fuel
it was a pain to get it started but i did then took it for a drive it was fine and never missed a beat all day infact it never missed a beat all week till tonight sorry but i didnt take any notice of any lights.

Don't Honda filters have 'HONDA' written across them?

Think i remember reading that some chap got one from honda and it had bosch on it i notice that mine has bosch written on the fuel rail mines a 54 plate but was registered in 2005 dose this make a difference.

the first time it did it i started it from cold on my drive and moved it about a few times then just let it idle i noticed that after a few mins the engine stated to get louder more knockey then cut out just like it had run out of fuel it had half a tank so wasnt out of fuel
it was a pain to get it started but i did then took it for a drive it was fine and never missed a beat all day infact it never missed a beat all week till tonight sorry but i didnt take any notice of any lights.

If it is not an after-market filter then it sounds like air is getting into the system, just inspect the rubber pipes and ensure they are clipped on.

If you follow the instructions in the second link, you maybe able to hear air escaping, otherwise if it is an after-market filter then just get it changed as we have seen plenty of examples of after-market filters causing problems, shortly into their lives on the car.

Keep an eye on the dash, next time it does it, look for things like a flashing glow plug indicator.

I take it once it is driving it is pretty much OK though?

Think i remember reading that some chap got one from honda and it had bosch on it i notice that mine has bosch written on the fuel rail mines a 54 plate but was registered in 2005 dose this make a difference.

If you have a 5 speed gearbox then it will be a pre-facelift and have a Bosch fuel filter, if you have a 6 speed gearbox then it is a facelift and has a Denso fuel filter

im sure its not a honda filter it dosnt have bosch or honda on it just AA and 22/09 im wondering if under certain conditions its draining back just using the fuel up in the filter then cutting out once restarted it seems to be fine.
its a 5 speed thanks.

Are you also getting a flashing coil light and any engine malfunction lights?

I would say fuel filter or stuck/stickng EGR valve.

would EGR corse it to cut out like its run out of fuel then be difficult to start ive also noticed the the 2 fuel pipes held on the spring clips are easy to move if you try to twised them.

Yes EGR would do that, but please change your fuel filter with a genuine Honda item to rule it out first.

change the fuel filter, you should change it because its not original and that makes a difference and secondly who knows how long it been on there. Could be air/water causing it but could be something else, best to start with the filter. Let us know how you get on.

im going to do that tomorrow for sure i wasnt taking any notice of any lights on when i got it started there defo wasnt any lights on cheers.

Then it's possibly the EGR valve but absolutely have the filter changed anyway

im sure its not a honda filter it dosnt have bosch or honda on it just AA and 22/09 im wondering if under certain conditions its draining back just using the fuel up in the filter then cutting out once restarted it seems to be fine.
its a 5 speed thanks.

It looks like the part number is same as was on my tourer i am told its made by Blue Print who make many OE parts for jap cars, however i'm having similar problems and will be trying genuine bosch filter in next couple of days. Hope this is helpful

Remember genuine FF only on the icdti chaps.

put a gen honda filter on today its a bosch one fitted it with jubilee clips so the fuel lines are nice and tight bled it up or so i thort took it on road test seemed ok till i opened it up a bit (engine still cold) it starts to back off the power and cuts out engine light comes on and the coil light is flashing
the 2 times before this didnt happen this time it was down to me not bleeding it up so i bleed it back up it starts fine coil light flashes for a bit then go's out drove it back to work and opened it up this time with no problems just the engine light on left in the car park till time to go home it started up fine
engine light went out and it drove home with out a hitch so im thinking ive got a sticking EGR problem.

put a gen honda filter on today its a bosch one fitted it with jubilee clips so the fuel lines are nice and tight bled it up or so i thort took it on road test seemed ok till i opened it up a bit (engine still cold) it starts to back off the power and cuts out engine light comes on and the coil light is flashing
the 2 times before this didnt happen this time it was down to me not bleeding it up so i bleed it back up it starts fine coil light flashes for a bit then go's out drove it back to work and opened it up this time with no problems just the engine light on left in the car park till time to go home it started up fine
engine light went out and it drove home with out a hitch so im thinking ive got a sticking EGR problem.

Why do you think you have a sticking EGR problem ?

From your description, it sounds like the first time you still had air in the system, which you then re-bled out, the engine warning light will come on as a fault code will have been triggered, however once it has been started a few times and the fault code is no longer reported, the engine warning light will go out.

As you say that the engine light has gone out and that the engine starts and runs fine, then it looks like changing the fuel filter was the correct diagnostic.

Is there another symptom you are experiencing, in order to make you think the EGR is sticking?

If there is no other symptoms, then I'd just leave it a little while and see if any problems return.

Well done on changing the filter btw.

Agree with Carl here - from reading your comments, I would say you had air in the system and the fact it drove perfectly after re-bleeding indicates the problem has gone. The light will go out itself if you have between 3-5 clear starts without the problem reappearing.

If you do need the EGR mapping out, I'm down in the Midlands on Friday.

The only thing that makes me think it my be EGR is the 2 times its happened before im sure the engine light wasnt on after i did get it started and the coil light wasnt flashing what i will do is drive it and keep an eye on it if anything happens ill let you know
i hope the filter has fixed the problem. The other thing ive noticed is the electronic valve that sits on the cam cover not far from the fuel filter looks like the filter thats sits on top has beed snapped off not by me i might add could this corse a problem. Im
going to see if i can get the codes red today see if that turns anything up.
cheers Alun

EGR symptom is normally hesitation or a short flat spot isnt it ?

I would go with the others and say you had a little bit of air in your FF and needed a bit more bleeding which has not cured it.

Also.. not wanting to tell you how you drive your car but please let the engine get up to opperating temp before opening it up.
The turbo's on these cars so far have been holding together remarkably well. getting boost whilst the turbo is cold / not properly lubricated can shorten the life quite substancially.

EGR symptom is normally hesitation or a short flat spot isnt it ?

Not necessariily, it can be a multitude of things. I just took a call from a customer experiencing what he seems to think are EGR problems and in this case it was just completely choking and struggling for power, but no warning lights or codes.

On Abdul's car a couple of weeks ago he had two errors, one for fuel pressure too high and one for injector no2 problems.

We cleared them off, EGR OFF'd it and it's been perfect ever since.

Not necessariily, it can be a multitude of things. I just took a call from a customer experiencing what he seems to think are EGR problems and in this case it was just completely choking and struggling for power, but no warning lights or codes.

On Abdul's car a couple of weeks ago he had two errors, one for fuel pressure too high and one for injector no2 problems.

We cleared them off, EGR OFF'd it and it's been perfect ever since.

thank you :)

Learn something new each day!

The only thing that makes me think it my be EGR is the 2 times its happened before im sure the engine light wasnt on after i did get it started and the coil light wasnt flashing
Maybe the 'bad' filter just made it struggle but not enough to cause an error, yet your air lock created from changing the filter was enough to cause an error. Now you've cleared the lock I expect the error will clear itself and all will be well.