What's new

Just changed my front discs & pads

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Evening All,

With my very limited mechanical knowledge, I decided it was time to change my discs and pads at the front. With the info on the rest of the forums and a few youtube videos I thought I may as well give this a shot myself.

It took me a while to acheive mainly due to those screws that hold the disc onto the hub. You may have read this before but just to drive it home, you really DO need an impact driver!

I also needed a rewind tool to push the piston in the caliper back enough to allow for the new disc and pads.

Apart from the above issues, the whole job would have taken an hour or so to do and thoroughly encourage those who think they could do this to give it a go!

Evening All,

With my very limited mechanical knowledge, I decided it was time to change my discs and pads at the front. With the info on the rest of the forums and a few youtube videos I thought I may as well give this a shot myself.

It took me a while to acheive mainly due to those screws that hold the disc onto the hub. You may have read this before but just to drive it home, you really DO need an impact driver!

I also needed a rewind tool to push the piston in the caliper back enough to allow for the new disc and pads.

Apart from the above issues, the whole job would have taken an hour or so to do and thoroughly encourage those who think they could do this to give it a go!
Good man Nathan have you any photos as you could right up a DIY :)

Good man Nathan have you any photos as you could right up a DIY :)
I didn't get any pics at the time but now I know how to take them apart I want to paint the calipers.

I'm more than happy to take it apart again though and get pics and post them up.

I didn't get any pics at the time but now I know how to take them apart I want to paint the calipers.

I'm more than happy to take it apart again though and get pics and post them up.
Nice one you could make it a DIY on painting 6th gen callipers :)

Nice one you could make it a DIY on painting 6th gen callipers :)
Will do, just need some decent weather.

I've been out for a drive now and still getting a noise from the nearside, a deep sort of noise that goes with the rotation of the wheels and on the offside, a knocking noise every now and then which maybe a balljoint?

I done mine for the first time last year too, actually quite easy to do. I bought the impact driver specially for doing it.

I didn't use the rewind tool for my fronts, although have it for the backs. I used a one handed 6" clamp that I had already, which was quite efficient to use....like this one here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Grip-5062Qc-Twin-Pack-Clamps/dp/B0001IW4T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326064222&sr=8-1
41niVP0F38L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Will do, just need some decent weather.

I've been out for a drive now and still getting a noise from the nearside, a deep sort of noise that goes with the rotation of the wheels and on the offside, a knocking noise every now and then which maybe a balljoint?
Regarding knocking noise could possibly be your droplinks.

Speaking as somebody who has painted their 6th gen's calipers, I thoroughly recommend it! :D I think it really brings out the detail of the wheels:

4aebf66e.jpg

Close up:

ac058f38.jpg

Cost about £15 all in, and put a massive smile on my face lol. Although I left the caliper paint in the boot, which added another £30 to the bill in the form of a new boot liner :p

Coincidentally it was changing my disks and pads for the first time that inspired me too!

Josh

My calipers are yellow. They in my opinion they look great. I think that everyone should paint theirs.

cimg0482o.jpg

I didn't do the carriers becuase i wasn't sure i could :lol: but now i know that they can be done. ;)

The yellow looks fantastic against the red body! It really does go to show that it pays off to think a colour scheme through and choose complimentary colours. A matching rocker cover would be awesome :D it's the next thing on my list to paint, although I guess as you have a type-r it's already done for you!

Haha well I did the carriers as I just thought I should paint everything visible red :p worked for me!

Nice alloys by the way, you've reminded me that my Honda 'H' could do with a bit of revival haha

The alloys will be changed within the next month of so. Got a few other prices to look at at the moment,but i think i might have found the ones i want...but not cheap. JDM yo :lol:

Should have added that when i bought the car Andy at VtecDirect had done a rocker cover refurb on it, and still looks pretty much like new now.

My calipers are yellow. They in my opinion they look great. I think that everyone should paint theirs.

cimg0482o.jpg

I didn't do the carriers becuase i wasn't sure i could :lol: but now i know that they can be done. ;)

I believe brake disks are wrongly mounted. They should be swapped with each other (left with right). :)

How many coats did you give the calipers?

It only took one coat of Halford's caliper paint on mine. I used a wire brush to clean them first and give a bit of a rougher surface for the paint to adhere to. Then just painted it on with a brush. The paint is very viscous, and whilst wet seemed to find it's own level on the surface and give an even coat. It does take a good while to dry however, luckily I didn't need my car until the next day so could leave it on axle stands over night

Josh

How many coats did you give the calipers?
3 in total. But ti was worth it. It did take about an hour to prep each one before painting though. Lots of brushing with the dreaded wire brush :lol:

I believe brake disks are wrongly mounted. They should be swapped with each other (left with right). :)
I wondered about that, but i really like that they go 'the other way'. It really makes them stand out.