What's new

Headlight Washers

A

A-EX

For those that have them with OEM HIDs - I know that after every 10 times you use the windscreen wipers, the headlight washers also activate (***uming the headlights are on of course) - however - is there any way to stop that happening?

Reason I ask is because last year when the weather was frostier/more icy than now, the headlight washer wouldnt come out properly due to the frozen water in the pipes and consequently found that on occassions if it did come out, it wouldnt go back in due to the water/washer pressure in the pipes.

Its easy enough to use the button on the dash, but would have preferred that they didnt activate when you use the windscreen wipers - afterall, who is really going to count how many times they have deployed their wipers with lights on just to ensure they dont use them on a frosty/icy morning?!! :lol:

Hi Saj
I have a 7th gen Accord and never had a problem with the headlight washers freezing. If you buy windscreen fluid that does not freeze till the temp is well below zero, minus 8 or more I use in the winter, you should not have a problem. I also bought a 2ltr bottle of fluid from Halfords that can stay liquid down to minus 60. If the temp outside looks like going down really low, I add a bit of this in the mix.
As you may already know, us poor 7th gen owners get the headlight washers come on every time you wash the windscreen with the lights are switched on. Really dangerous as you loose nearly all the light when it covers the headlights with water. Can't see for a couple of seconds where I am going. Uses a hell of a lot of water on a bad weather day as well, with everything getting washed at once. Wish I knew how to stop the headlight washers working at all. Have got on fine without headlight washers for quite a few years in the past, just wiped them regularly with a rag!

For those that have them with OEM HIDs - I know that after every 10 times you use the windscreen wipers, the headlight washers also activate (***uming the headlights are on of course) - however - is there any way to stop that happening?

Reason I ask is because last year when the weather was frostier/more icy than now, the headlight washer wouldnt come out properly due to the frozen water in the pipes and consequently found that on occassions if it did come out, it wouldnt go back in due to the water/washer pressure in the pipes.

Its easy enough to use the button on the dash, but would have preferred that they didnt activate when you use the windscreen wipers - afterall, who is really going to count how many times they have deployed their wipers with lights on just to ensure they dont use them on a frosty/icy morning?!! :lol:
Im not 100% but i thought there was a separate switch for this as not to operate the light washers.

Hi Saj
I have a 7th gen Accord and never had a problem with the headlight washers freezing. If you buy windscreen fluid that does not freeze till the temp is well below zero,

At the moment the washers are fine - I have a good solution/dilution so not worried about it freezing. That said, the temperatures this year are not bad in contrast to last year.

Im not 100% but i thought there was a separate switch for this as not to operate the light washers.

Yes I have the separate button to use the washers, but every tenth wash of the windscreen when the headlights are on automatically deploys the headlight washers as well. Its that feature I want disabled. Dealer tells me its not possible based on his understanding of the car.

I don't know whether the 8th gen is the same, but I have just had a good look in the 7th gen manual. It shows that in the secondary fuse box under the bonnet, fuse 2 controls the headlight washers. Going to have a look at the weekend at this fuse box to see if just pulling the fuse disables the headlight washers. Anybody ever tried this before on either Accord model?

I don't know whether the 8th gen is the same, but I have just had a good look in the 7th gen manual. It shows that in the secondary fuse box under the bonnet, fuse 2 controls the headlight washers. Going to have a look at the weekend at this fuse box to see if just pulling the fuse disables the headlight washers. Anybody ever tried this before on either Accord model?

I'll have a gander at the weekend methinks!

Hi to all, 7th gen washers do work each time you wash the screen with headlights on and dont half use wash fluid .I didnt have a problem with them freezing but ended up pulling fuse to disable washer when someone stole the two pop up parts as they just emptied fluid everywhere.
regards john.

Just to add to this on my old 7th gen the washers used to lift in freezing cond.This was due to expansion I think.

onthe 7th (pre facelift) mine 'always' deployed when 3 conditions were met

1. activate window washers (der)
2. Headlamps (driving beam*) were ON (sidelights only didn't count)
3. the water in the tank was above a certain level (below that level water was reserved for windows only)

and yes DAMN does it use up the water on headlamps.
I tried to keep it topped up so would wait until in stop / start traffic, flip down to side lights only, squirt, put main lights back on

* can never decide if 'main beam' is normal driving headlamps as 'full beam' is the super extra light the street up beam for country roads

still working out the 8G but it 'so far' seems to do the same, although it has the extra headlamps only squirt now button :) (ADAS)
-again has a H U G E water reserve ~ 5 liters, the other half's Civic always catches me out with it's tiny tiny bottle

J

still working out the 8G but it 'so far' seems to do the same, although it has the extra headlamps only squirt now button :) (ADAS)

Nope it only works every tenth time of the windscreen wipers.

(Yes I counted/tried!) :lol:

can never decide if 'main beam' is normal driving headlamps as 'full beam' is the super extra light the street up beam for country roads

It goes:
Sidelights
Dipped Beam
Main Beam (or Full Beams - think that's more a US thing)

So normal driving lights are called dipped beams.

It goes:
Sidelights
Dipped Beam
Main Beam (or Full Beams - think that's more a US thing)

So normal driving lights are called dipped beams.

DIPPED, that's the one!

@A-EX.. lol counting.. will have to go check! just to be sure like... I guess I was at 1 in ten when i tried.. but hold on, does that reset on the next drive?

Don't start....:lol:

Yes it works fine. I've done this on my 7th gen accord, I din't miss them at all and they don't freeze in the out position (even with -60 halfords neat screenwash!)

Steve

@A-EX.. lol counting.. will have to go check! just to be sure like... I guess I was at 1 in ten when i tried.. but hold on, does that reset on the next drive?

Nope, doesnt reset. Somehow it "knows".

And yes, I have tried it, much to my embarassment!! :lol:

ok tested and I got bored and didn't want to lose any more fluids around 6-7 squirts, but I'm happy to agree with your findings
J

ok tested and I got bored and didn't want to lose any more fluids around 6-7 squirts, but I'm happy to agree with your findings
J

LOL thats weird, you're getting conned out of 3 or 4 squirts!

Tried mine the other day, and sure enough, ten it was! Bizarre eh! :lol:

Hmmm, mine seems to reset after a journey, several times now on first squirt the headlamp washers go too, but then go into the 10 cycle, next journey, same thing..
more testing (and fluid) needed

J

Hmmm, mine seems to reset after a journey, several times now on first squirt the headlamp washers go too, but then go into the 10 cycle, next journey, same thing..
more testing (and fluid) needed

J

Yes it does variate - not sure whats what sometimes! :lol:

Hi, would you be so kind and tell me which fuse is the one controlling the headlight washers?
Is it really the nr. 2 in the under the hood fuse box?

fusebox.png

Thanks in advance for your help and have a nice day.
Sincerely
Martin Svojsik

Hi to all, 7th gen washers do work each time you wash the screen with headlights on and dont half use wash fluid .I didnt have a problem with them freezing but ended up pulling fuse to disable washer when someone stole the two pop up parts as they just emptied fluid everywhere.
regards john.

The fuse is number 11 under the bonnet this controls the headlight washer relay and motor.