What's new

timing belt

john_d

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saab 9-5 Aero
any idea how much honda would charge to change a timing belt?

Honda Bolton did mine for £300. They have fixed prices apparently

Hondas price for a Cam belt on a 6th gen is (or should be) fixed at £299.99.

Chances are that if you've got a trusted mechanic you'll be able to get it done cheaper than that though.

only time i take a car to a garage is for work i either cant do or a job thats gonna be a pig, ive done a few timing belts but not on a honda.

whats the mileage intervals for the belt?

Does that price include the balancer shaft belt and tensioners?

Mine did Tony but I had to agree that with them. The fixed price is just for the belt change.

They argued that at 70k the tensioners didn't need doing. I just told them that if they included that for the £300 I would have it done and they agreed.

there was a great diy video on you tube how to do this, I will hunt around and see if i can find it again.

Intervals are 70K miles mate. The tensioner belts should be done at the same time too, and it's a good idea to get the actual tensioner done too.

P.S Your Avatar is awesome!!!! I've just spent 2 mins watching it :lol:

Just wondered about the price as I have just done mine myself. I would recommend getting a couple of special tools as well.
One to hold the crankshaft whilst undoing and tightening the pulley bolt and one for holding the rear balancer shaft in place. Both cheap from ebay.
Not too sure about using the oxy-acetylene torch though, too much heat could damage the crank seal. Either use a good windy gun or a fookin' big bar like I had too.
Do not try the method of undoing the crank bolt using a long tommy bar resting on an axle stand as shown on some you-tube videos, I have the scar to prove it!
I would also like to say that it seems foolish not to change the tensioners at the same time because I had an annoying noise from one of my tensioners due to the fact the previous owner had had the timing belt changed but not the tensioner, grrrr!

Not a difficult diy job for someone with a bit of experience, a good service manual and the correct tools.

Tony

I would change a water pump at the same time :) If it would get leaky some time after belt changing it would be very disappointing...

I managed to install Honda ESM manual on Win7 x64. just checked "run as administrator" and compatibility mode with xp sp3 on setup.exe file in cd-image

And >>Here<<is a link to a whole bunch of manuals for the Accord from 1986 to 2001. Including the ESM above.
Again it is passworded so just PM me for it if you would like it.

Tony

can we make new topic about manuals and could moderator make ir sticky? I think it is very useful because its so hard to find manuals for this accord...

here is the good one.

Do I need an awesome 'tache to change my belt ;)
Nice vid but wouldn't start engine to check the tension :eek:
Have bought a complete kit with tensioners to do either this week or next since mines done 90k & NOT been done :( (have only had car about a month). Unfortunately snapping few tendons in my ankle last weekend has not helped either.

We charge £215 plus vat for cambelt change, which includes tensioner. And we have all the tools for locking crank pulley, locking balance shafts etc.

We charge £215 plus vat for cambelt change, which includes tensioner. And we have all the tools for locking crank pulley, locking balance shafts etc.

Having just recently done a couple of these cambelt jobs myself, I have to say that is a pretty good price for anyone wanting to get it done.

Tony

Having just recently done a couple of these cambelt jobs myself, I have to say that is a pretty good price for anyone wanting to get it done.

Tony

just too far for me, will phone around the local chimps.