What's new

Misted headlamps - bulletin / recall

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
This is a known issue with the newer Accords. There should be a bulletin for your car so get it checked out.

you can also go on the Honda website..click cars then on the bottom right corners click on the owners link and then go to recalls and updates link to find out if you car has any outstanding work.

ok here is a bit more info about the headlights
The first bulletin is dated 13.04.07 and says that all 03, 04, 05 model Accord 4 door and Tourers are in the range, 06 model years have the counter measure.
The second bulletin is dated 16.05.07 and they must be read together.

The warranty on this complaint has been extended by 3 years and there is an overall mileage limitation of 95000 miles so age or mileage, whichever comes first.

The cause is due to insufficient bonding between the lens and the housing which could allow water entry and in cars equipped with HID light units a possible loss of low beam lights.

When cars in the model range are taken to a dealers they should check to see if there is evidence of water ingress and fogging and operation of HID low beam.

If there is evidence of water etc they should replace the headlamps.
Replacement headlamps have two additional clips per lamp.

Additionally if the inspected vehicle shows no signs of ingress or fogging, and there are no additional clips, the dealer should fit the additional clips to the existing headlamps.

This only applies to model years 03 to 05.

Any queries or problems please contact your dealer.

thankyou to my contact for this.

is this still valid? i dont have a big misting problem just a small one but it only happens now and again

it is but by now most 7th Gens will be out of warranty...you can but try B)

lol.... ill try but ive got my eye son some USDM headlights so might just get those.. their hellacheap right now

USDM will angle away for LHD, can you angle them enough for RHD cars annie?

Coz my car is a 52 i got turned down even for the wee clips when i first bought my car as it was just over 6 years old. But its stopped happening since i fitted my hid kit

Just put my VIN into the Honda site and it says please contact your local dealer for a free fix. Have printed it and will take it to my dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

What site was that buddy?

I had this done a couple of months ago whilst having the tailgate fixed, we had never notices any fogging of the lense but mansfield Honda fitted the extra clips due to this recall.

That's it, went in today with the recall notice printed and they have ordered a replacement for the nearside which is really bad and will fit the clips to the offside which isn't quite so bad. So moral seems to be check your VIN and then print out the result which clearly states what needs to be done and the fact it is free. Mine is registered 28 October 2003.

That's it, went in today with the recall notice printed and they have ordered a replacement for the nearside which is really bad and will fit the clips to the offside which isn't quite so bad. So moral seems to be check your VIN and then print out the result which clearly states what needs to be done and the fact it is free. Mine is registered 28 October 2003.

It sounds like you've been lucky. When I had mine done I was told there was a 6 year limit on replacing the headlamp. Mine was just over 6 years old so, while the clips on the offside were free, I had to pay for fitting a replacement nearside headlamp. I wrote to Honda and they let me have the headlight at cost price (under £100), but I still had to pay for fitting, so ~£200 for the whole job :lol:

Now you know B)

My tourer is booked in for next weekend to have the headlamp replaced, clips were done around 8months ago,but still fogged a little.

The local dealership failed to follow up, despite several chasers, and have advised extended warrenty has expired, but that they will foot the bill.

Getting the front fog fitted for free same time, but still £100-00 for the part ;)

So looks like the warrenty option is past its sell by date :)

Cheers

Simon

Interesting, VIN check tells me this :

Result: According to our records there is some outstanding work to be carried out on the VIN you entered.

* pud : headlight water entry prevention

Please contact your local Authorised Honda dealer and arrange an appointment to have your car repaired.

What do you think the fix will be?

It's a recall therefore warranty doesn't matter.
I called up honda and they are willing to perform this maintenance for free.
They are about to call be back regarding the booking.
I hope this will solve the problem with misted headlamps.

Well Honda have declined my request but the garage is going to see what they can do, not sure much will change though. The car has been serviced annually by a Honda dealer who should have done the refit as a matter of course, so back to waiting to see again. The website even says it is a "free" fix .

The free fix is to add some clips to help seal the headlamp unit (some say it doesn't work very well). I was told that a replacement headlamp, if needed, was not free beyond 6 years/90000 miles.

I just had my headlamps 'improved' by Honda today.
Recall is just about adding 4 clips, two per headlamps.
I will let you know if it solved the problem with misted headlamps - need to drive around first.

Funny thing, the guy at service desk didn't know what was the recall about when I gave him the keys.
When the work has been finished, I asked again and he still didn't know what was the work about.
He said I need to purchase new headlamps in order to solve the misted headlamps problem.
I insisted on getting the details regarding the recall.
He checked and admitted that it was about adding 4 clips in order to seal the lamp so it won't be getting so misty :)

IME the clips dont really work, if they dont for you I recommend you invest in some silica gel bags and stick them in rather than buying new lamps.

IME the clips dont really work, if they dont for you I recommend you invest in some silica gel bags and stick them in rather than buying new lamps.
your right, the clips don't work at all.

how would you put the gel bags inside? would you glue then inside the lamp?

one solution I heard about is to take the lamp up, heat it up, separate it to parts and then glue them properly together.

When I installed my HID's I noticed a large silica gel bag attached to the inside wall of the headlight (these were new ones fitted by Honda)

If the lights are really badly misted you may need to get them out of the car and into a warm room to dry out fully. You then put in 2 or 3 large silica gel pads, you get them in via the bulb cap.

The american tsx guys seem to bake there light units for 20 mins which melts the sealant. Once cleaned off they reapply new sealant under pressure which seems to solve the problem, me I just couldnt stick my head light into the oven I dont have the balls.

My nearside is very wet so could I put in a silica gel pack to get rid of the worst and then replace it to keep it dry. Can someone tell me how I can put the gel bag in. Could I put it in on a thread so I could remove it easily. Mine is an exec with HID, not sure if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I got recall done a few months ago. But the lamps are still misting. Am I to go back and push for new headlamps?

2005 with 76k.

Update: Just got a new set of headlights (both) fitted foc yesterday at my local honda dealer. They knew about the extended warranty and had already fitted the clips but the lamps were still misting. All I had to do was take a couple of photos of the lamps when they were bad and email it to the dealer. They came back within 24hrs saying Honda had approved replacement lamps. Also got my foglight relay replaced at the same time ;)

I have had the 2 clips on each headlight bodge done to my car some time in 2007, As far as i can see it has not rectified the problem and they still mist.
I contacted my local dealer today to try and get some new lights fitted today FOC and was told that Honda had never had a problem after the clip bodge had been carried out and that was basically that.
My car is an 03 with full Honda history and is pretty mint and has never been involved in an accident that could possibly cause a leak in the seal of the lights, As far as im concerned it is a manufacturing defect that could become dangerous at night if the lights become fully misted and Honda should replace effected lights without hesitation.
I don't know any 7yr old car that it is acceptable for the lights to become misty which could result in reduced visibility at night.
I have contacted Honda UK and told them that i am not happy with the tuff s**t response that i was greeted with and will keep you all updated with there response when the powers that be get back to me.

To rub salt in to my wounds my local dealer offered to get one of there qualified technicians ( a mechanic) to look at the lights to confirm they are misty and forward the obvious to Honda UK at cost to myself. Needless to say i told them not to bother as my eyes were working just fine last time i checked and i don't need a mechanic to tell me what i already know.

If any other members have still got misty lights after the recall can you please reply in this thread so i can confront Honda with the info if needed. Thanks

Neil, read Alungs first thread very carefully regarding the bulletin info. Honda have very clearly said if the clips don't cure the problem then the car needs new headlights. Its a case of your local dealer either not reading the bulletins or wanting to dig the arm in. I would try another dealer if there is one nearby. When I went in to my dealer and told them the problem, the service manager started going through all his bulletins saying he remembered seeing something about this and might be able to do something.

Crespo, this is the response I got from Honda as well on my 53 Tourer. It has only 25,000 miles on it and the Honda web site said that I was due a free fix. Even though it had been serviced annually by Honda Ewell they had not done the clips. The offside is not too bad but the nearside is 50% covered by water droplets and in my opinion is a safety hazard. Perhaps we should see how many people we can get together and approach Honda as a group.