What's new

Indicator light on passenger mirror not working

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
I noticed that last week the indicator stopped working on the passenger mirror. I was at a garage today to get a quote for some tyres and got one of them to have a look at it and He was of the mind that its a fiddly job and If I can fix it myself it would be a better option that paying someone to look at it and pull it apart. In some cases he said its a a complete change of unit, so you need to buy the whole thing.

Before I even open this part up to try and fix could it be a fuse that has gone? I see on the other mirror that there are four LEDS inside, I can't believe all four are damaged.

Any help or advise would be great.

I spoke to Oz and he was of the mind you could get inside to fix it and he explained how to get the mirror off but what does anyone else think?

Thanks

Rob

it would seem the the LED indicators are a separate unit in the wing mirror.

wing mirror

It looks like you should be able to strip the unit then do a continuity test to see if the power feed or LED unit is at fault. Maybe a wire has cracked because of the folding unit, or a connection has broke. But you should be able to strip the internals of a second hand unit for spares.

good diagram matt, that helps a lot to know what is inside. I think I will bite the bullet and take it apart. May need to buy myself a soldering iron and give it a go. If anyone else has had ago at this and has pictures or advice still I would be thankful.

good diagram matt, that helps a lot to know what is inside. I think I will bite the bullet and take it apart. May need to buy myself a soldering iron and give it a go. If anyone else has had ago at this and has pictures or advice still I would be thankful.

My driver's-side one went recently. On close inspection, the clear plastic that covers theLED unit was cracked - I suspect a minor mirror-slap incident on the road caused it. I had a look around here and saw that it didn't look like an easy job.

Some comments:
  • The door panel has to come off. My mate did the job for me and he was able to remove the light with the door panel in place but was unable to install the replacment without removing it
  • Removing the door panels is not a nice job and there is a risk of breaking some of the "plugs" that hold the door panel on. A search here should provide some help with pictures.
  • The LED unit is proprietary and unless you can repair the one that's there, you will need to buy one from Honda. Our ever-friendly Holcroft can supply one for a lot less than the normal price of £52
  • These are "handed". If you need to buy, make sure you order the right side!

My motivation for getting this repaired was an impending NCT (Irish equivalent of an MOT) test - it would have failed if I'd left it.

My driver's-side one went recently. On close inspection, the clear plastic that covers theLED unit was cracked - I suspect a minor mirror-slap incident on the road caused it. I had a look around here and saw that it didn't look like an easy job.

Some comments:
  • The door panel has to come off. My mate did the job for me and he was able to remove the light with the door panel in place but was unable to install the replacment without removing it
  • Removing the door panels is not a nice job and there is a risk of breaking some of the "plugs" that hold the door panel on. A search here should provide some help with pictures.
  • The LED unit is proprietary and unless you can repair the one that's there, you will need to buy one from Honda. Our ever-friendly Holcroft can supply one for a lot less than the normal price of £52

My motivation for getting this repaired was an impending NCT (Irish equivalent of an MOT) test - it would have failed if I'd left it.

My heart just sank! Thanks for the advice, I guess it would be a MOT failer too. Good point, Maybe you have the answer, replace the whole thing before the MOT is due.
once again Thanks

Rob

arab said:

Some comments:

In response to this, I managed to change mine today without having to remove the door panel.

I did the following.

Prised the mirror off from the bottom of the mirror as it has 2 lugs that clip in at the bottom, the 2 lugs at the top of the mirror slide upwards.and locks in (if you pull from the top you risk breaking these)

Removed 2 wires from heated mirror (Black wire bottom, Black & White top)

Removed 3 smaller screw that held the module on to the backing. ( I dont think this was required, but did it anyway as it was a 30 second job)

Removed 5 larger screws that hold the internal surround and then this pulled off in the same direction as the mirror came out.

I then carefully retracted the indicator out of the wingmirror and it popped out, it had 2 small routing lugs that hold it in place and once pulled away you have about 8cm of wire to play with so can be disconnected removed from where it sits.

Putting it back was the reverse however sliding the indicator back in is a bit tricky, but trust me it slides in without damaging anything.

I am considering doing this again and doing a full write up with pictures as I have a spare wing mirror unit now:). I could not find much on the internet to help with this. In total it took me about 30 mins and cost £20 as I bought a whole unit off the internet and removed the indicator unit