What's new

Clutch pedal creak/click

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
I've now put a DIY up on this....first port of call would be your dealer if in warranty....then try the DIY.

The issue is caused by problems with the clutch master cylinder.

This is a known problem and honda have had several revisions of the master cylinder.

There are two things here
1) Clicking - this is most likely caused by the cruise control switch attached to the top of the pedal..you should hear a click each time you push down the cluth pedal...this is not a problem and all accords do that. Unless they changed the switch design in 2005.

2) Creaking that you can feel when engaging the clutch - this is a bit more of a problem and is caused by the clutch master cylinder being underlubricated - the only fix is to replace. The symtoms are a creaking type noise that you can hear and feel with your foot. Once replaced the clutch will be butter smooth.

I had to get mine replaced at 24K miles...under warranty :D

2) Creaking that you can feel when engaging the clutch - this is a bit more of a problem and is caused by the clutch master cylinder being underlubricated - the only fix is to replace. The symtoms are a creaking type noise that you can hear and feel with your foot. Once replaced the clutch will be butter smooth.

I also had mine replaced under warranty but it still came back. Although a temporary solution (usually 6 weeks average miles) is to give it a quick spray of lubricant. Having tried allsorts of greases and oils none seemed to be more resiliant to another so a quick blast of 3 in 1 oil with added ptfe (halfords) will give you a smooth clutch action again. Much cheaper than replacing. ;)

My car also has the creaking clutch problem - I bought my car from a Honda dealer and they have tried to grease it twice but it came back each time. So they have now agreed to replace the master cylinder - so it's going back in next week to hopefully get sorted!

My car also has the creaking clutch problem - I bought my car from a Honda dealer and they have tried to grease it twice but it came back each time. So they have now agreed to replace the master cylinder - so it's going back in next week to hopefully get sorted!
good result mate.

All that's needed is some Molykote White grease. It's made for applications like this. It doesn't affect seals and sticks and stays put. It's about £4 a tube and a lot quicker and cheaper than a new cylinder.

Hi,

Do you have any photos of where the master clutch cylinder is located. I was fine with my old petrol, but my 05 CDTI - I haven't got a clue...

have a look at Allans thread in the diy section all info and photos are there