What's new

Sat Nav update

dennismate

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.0 EX Auto
I have just bought a 2008 8th gen Accord and it has the original Sat Nav disc, I would like to update but Honda want £175 for the 2011 version, I have read various threads of people buying copied discs or moody copies and having reliability issues with the DVD player after installing. My question is - is there a reliable option without going down the genuine Honda route?

If only honda would go to a HDD version on the accord!

I have a non Gen disc in my unit and have found very few issues to be honest. The issue with cold/damp weather happen with the original too.

Really there is no excuse for Sat Navs to be run from SD cards, or HDD for the posher systems. DVD has to me more expensive to build nowadays?

The next generation of Sat Nav systems will have to change.

OK, having read various threads on other car forums about hooky DVD's, I've decided to order the genuine part from Honda, reason: - if I had not traded in for the Accord I would have bought a new sat nav anyway which would have cost almost as much as the DVD, and I like the ease of use of the Honda system, the only downside for me is the lack of speed camera info that you get with portable systems

I'm 175 quid lighter, but I now have the latest sat nav DVD, the disc face says 2011 - 2012 and it's software version 3.60

Takes around 3 minutes to load the updated firmware once the disc is loaded, but it now runs as before.

Do you think it's worth sticking my 2007 - 2008 ver. 3.22 on the bay to re-coup some of the costs??

No harm, especially if there's someone out there who needs such a disc.

You never know...

Put it up in our sell section as well fella

I am also using not original, pirated version of maps, it is in DVD, and on DVD is wrote a 2016 maps. But is is really i think 2014. In my town, Vilnius, there still missing some new roads and roundabouts.

I Tried one of those, plus a cheapo off ebay, neither of them worked (would not even load) to be fair though they both returned my money and told me to keep the disc.s the reason both gave was "they do not always work, it depends on the unit you have", I skipped them.

i tried a cheapo off ebay, didnt work.

tried www.thesatnavshop.com and it worked straight away, (after following instructions). Cant fault it for £24.99

East and West meant East Europe and West Europe?

How do I find out what map I have?

I got a late 2011 accord. thanks

West: Belgium, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands ,Portugal (inc. Madeira), Spain (inc. Canary Island) ,United Kingdom,

East: Slovak Republic, Austria, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Croatia, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Latvia, Sweden, Italy, Germany, Slovenia

I only use the Honda nav as a backup these days.

Although I generally dislike phones attached to the dash, I've moved to Waze for most journeys.

It's free, accurate, and up to date. It has live traffic information and a variety of voice commands that actually work.

If I've got my tinfoil hat on, it does mean Google knows where I am all the time, but they probably know that anyhow...

I hardly ever use mine as well. but when in Cornwall last year I kept ending up in the middle of a field maybe this "new" disc will direct me to the nearest pub instead??

If in use does Waze require a large amount of Data

I'm on a fairly modest phone contract (2 Gig a month), and I've not noticed Waze having any real impact.

There have been odd occasions where it's taken me into (rather than away from) traffic, presumably because it was the shortest route and lack of signal meant the actual traffic conditions weren't available to it.

Give it a go, it's free and doesn't require any registration or anything.