What's new

Diesel Glow plug light flashing

jupiter

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ctdi
Hi All,

I was driving along the motorway and the diesel glow light plug started to flash and I was losing power. I drove on a few miles, stopped, opened the hood closed it and then started driving again. This time I had power back but the light is still constantly flashing.

I'd put £25 of V power in just before the problem started. (yes it was diesel; I have the receipt to prove it :huh: Hope it wasn't a dodgy batch of diesel that did it

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Azz

If your losing power, it suggests that either a glow plug has failed or the power is not getting to it (solenoid failure?). I suspect it is unlikely to be connected to the re-fueling - just a coincidence.

M

It's your fuel filter mate.

Have it changed asap with a brand new genuine Honda filter - only bought from the main dealer. Don't trust a dealer to say they've done it, but the part and have a go yourself so you know it's done.

Classic symptoms of needing a new FF. Agree with Faddy

Thanks for your advice. It is due a service soon. I'll change straight away!

Also, will the light stop flashing automatically, once it's changed or will I have to get some software reset to do that?

(sorry, newb, when it comes to anything cars)

The light will go out once it no longer detects a fault mate. Just remember what I said about genuine parts. If you're using a non Honda garage, buy the parts yourself and see if you can watch them fit it.. too many garages give up on the filter as it's a bit tricky.

You could also put a wee mark or two on the old filter, just where no one would care to look and that'll let you see that the filters been done ok ;)

Long time no posty - but saw this and had to say I had the exact same problem today - on the way to the garage to get the filter changed with one i had sitting in my workshop for months.  The fuel light had just come on, and the engine stuttered, and went into limp mode.  Plugged in the ol' OBD and it came up with "low fuel pressure" or some such...

Some people just want to learn the hard way :)

An ****** clenching 45 minutes I can tell you.  VSA problems and all sorts were flashing though my mind...

I did tell you on the phone this week Danny boy!!

Bear in mind a remap is asking for higher pressures at the rail so it's even more sensitive to crap in the filter. No excuse mate :)

I know, I know,  I changed the oil today as well, which leads me onto my next post.

But a lesson to all here.... :)

Had the fuel filter changed, with the service. This is the first service I had since I bought the car and found that the fuel filter was a non Honda part!!! GRRRR which probably caused the problem in the first place.

Watched the garage do the whole job. Went smoothly apart from the fuel filter, which, as Fahad said, was a bit tricky. After the service, the light was still flashing, so they plugged in the computer and had to reset it. Low pressure apparently!

Azz, instead of clearing it with the computer, they should have ensured the filter was bled properly first and then just switched the ignition on and off 3 times to let it clear itself.. Good stuff anyway mate ;)

Ahh, I'll bear that in mind for next time. Can't really complain; it was a bargain service, done on a Saturday morning with me standing over their shoulder :unsure:)

Spooky - that it exactly what I was doing at 8:00 last Saturday  :unsure:...  They cleared my code though.

This has just happened to me. Flashing glow plug light and "Check System" warning in the display. The fuel filter was changed about 4 months ago by a mechanic friend with a genuine Honda part and I had just topped up with a full tank of V Power.
I know you will all think "was it actually changed or not". Obviously I can`t be sure because I wasn`t there but asking some discrete questions after the Oldham meet and Bretts problems I felt sure that he had changed it.
I might give Lookers Honda a ring tomorrow to see if they can plug it in for a diagnostics check to see what the problem is. I don`t like Lookers but they are the nearest dealer.

It can also happen if you get air trapped in the system, this happened to me a while back tank was low and I approached a round about too fast. Had to brake hard and fuel moved all over the place I pulled off and it went into limp home mode with the light on. I knew what it was straight away drove round the corner popped the bonnet and primed the fuel bulb job done ecu cleared light later that day.

At that point my filter was 5 months old so I knew it was just a bit of air trapped.

Hmmm I did have to brake hard when the tank was low but that was a good 2 hours before I filled up. When I did fill up I was a good few millimetres above the red

I wouldn't panic Dave, sounds like low fuel pressure that's all. Andy is right, try priming it and after a few clear restarts the light will go away. Not sure on the facelift cartridge filter, but on the Bosch canister you can bleed it from the top..

I wouldn't panic Dave, sounds like low fuel pressure that's all. Andy is right, try priming it and after a few clear restarts the light will go away. Not sure on the facelift cartridge filter, but on the Bosch canister you can bleed it from the top..
There is a bolt on the left hand side as you look at the FF ***embly, it goes in horizontally and i think you can bleed it from there, but not sure its actually a bleed screw, but the only one I could see and when you loosen it, fuel comes out so make sure you have primed it first as you dont want air getting in!

Just looked on the lings diagram and the bolt isnt illustrated on the diagram although it goes into the hole just above and slightly right of where the number 15 is on the diagram. (note the number 15 itself is pointing to the o-rings)

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_large_image_C50.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__0422&block_03=3063

I`ve tried priming it but it makes no difference. Not sure if I`m doing it right though. Does the engine need to be running and do I need to disconnect any pipes. If the latter then its not a job for me, I`ll leave it for the professionals.

I might have a look at the bolt you mention Nick but looking at the Lings diagram is enough to scare me off.

Yeah, that lings diagram doesnt really illustrate the bolt and you have to get a spanner in there or socket, its a bit fiddly but fairly simple. I dont think you need the engine running, just keep priming the bulb above the filter till it gets rock solid, run the car for a minute and then pump it again till its hard, hopefully that should clear any air in the system.

Thanks Nick. I`ve just found something in the manual (I was looking for info on changing bulbs believe it or not) and it explains how to clear air from the system and stop the glow plug light flashing and guess what...................... it didn`t work, so it seems there could be something a bit more serious going on.

Dave, it's possible your filter was never done... (no offence to your mechanic friend)

What did your manual procedure tell you to do?

Fahad, the manual says to prime the bulb until its hard, start the engine and run it at 1500 revs for about 30 seconds which should cure the air in system. Then to clear the flashing glow plug light start the car 3 times at 30 second intervals. And then helpfully, it says, if that hasn`t worked take it to my local Honda dealer.
I`ve just spoken to the friend who did the job and he`s going to stick his code reader on it and get a more accurate diagnosis. It is a very expensive one so it should give a more helpful reading than a 20 quid Ebay one, not that I know about these things.
I know where you`re coming from when you say it might not have been done but I have no choice but to trust him or anybody else for that matter. Theres no way I could tackle changing a fuel filter, it took me all morning fitting my LED indicator bulbs.

Hmm that procedure sounds right to be honest. On the code reader front, you would be surprised how much info a cheapo will give you.. I bet you will get a Low Fuel Pressure error of some sort mate.. Just buy another filter and watch him do it if poss.