What's new

Engine swap

jjmartin349571

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
'86 Gsi
Hi Folks,

Finally starting to get my project together so thought I'd put a thread up to kick me into gear. On Saturday I'm picking up a an H22A from a JDM Prelude, then planning to do a bit of maintenance before starting work on dropping it in my Accord :) will have to get some pics up for you guys. In the meantime, I'm having a nightmare removing the manifold and downpipe from my Accord, just can't get them separated due to a rounded off nut. I'm thinking of getting the car back up on axle stands and pulling the whole system at once? :s

Josh

Hi Folks,

Finally starting to get my project together so thought I'd put a thread up to kick me into gear. On Saturday I'm picking up a an H22A from a JDM Prelude, then planning to do a bit of maintenance before starting work on dropping it in my Accord :) will have to get some pics up for you guys. In the meantime, I'm having a nightmare removing the manifold and downpipe from my Accord, just can't get them separated due to a rounded off nut. I'm thinking of getting the car back up on axle stands and pulling the whole system at once? :s

Josh
Hi i am also thinking of doing the same swap so would really appreciate any pics and help, thanks.

I will be religiously follow this thread B)
Take pictures, lot's of pictures ;)

I have done such swap to my ex Rover 623...Are you swapping gearbox too? If so, be sure to get it with LSD...

Will follow this thread too :)

Now this is something we have not experience on TypeAccord, a full on engine conversion. I encourage you to take as many pics as possible and try to keep a diary of things. This will be very interesting indeed. I will be watching religiously on this one.

Good luck mate

Don't worry, this should be an photo intensive thread :p should pick up from Friday, that's when I'm flat bedding my Accord back home from the garage it's stored in. Just needs the exhaust off and maybe the inlet manifold, then the old engine is ready to pull!

Not sure it's an LSD gearbox at the moment Linas, however I got a price on the engine, gearbox, ancillaries, loom etc that I just couldn't turn down. I'm keeping an eye out for an LSD box though, I've seen the difference it makes to a standing start!

write down gearbox code from plate.
[font="Verdana][size="2"]M2B4 - with [/size][/font]LSD[font="Verdana] [/font]<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; ">[font="Verdana][size="2"]M2A4 - without [/size][/font]LSD[font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]Will you fit OBD1 ecu with conversion harness? Take a look on it. Be sure you get JDM and not EUDM... This is just in case not to forget ;)[/size][/font]

Cheers Linas, I'll have a check of the gearbox and see what I've got. If it's an M2A4 I guess I'll be off to eBay lol. At the moment I have a P15 ECU (OBD2?), from an auto JDM Prelude. I had one of the electrical jumpers swapped though so it's now set as a manual ECU. The engine I'm buying comes with it's original ECU, the donor car is an imported '94 BB4 so I'm guessing that will be an OBD1 ECU, not sure on that though. But yeah, at some point I'll have to go for a P28 or something similar as I understand these are the best for reprogramming

I got P13-900 OBD1 ecu with my engine swap. it was from 94's prelude JDM AT. Never heard about P15 earlier.
Google says that P15 is a TCM module... don't know is it true.

The best option With h22A is P72, because P28 has no IAB control. but I have read somewhere on pgmfi.org that it is possible to modify p28 for IAB control. I tried to do that, but unsuccessfully, so I removed them at all :)
Also I had Dataloging active through nokia cable. IT sure is even better and much quicker than OBD2

Was the P13 any good? The P15 I have is from a '97 JDM Prelude, chose it as there was no immobiliser on it. I can get the whole part number later if you fancied looking it up. I'm guessing I'll be getting a P13 with this engine then due to the year.

Yeah I heard about the lack of functionality too, I really want to keep my IABs though as they're designed to increase torque low down, something my F series engine was terrible at. I understand the P72 is difficult to get hold of though as it wasn't in any uk spec cars?

yeah. P13-900 was good for me.It was OBD1. But if you get one be sure it is JDM. I believe EUDM or USDM should be marked as P13-XXX(everything except 900) or something else... Don't wanna mess your thoughts as I don't remember 100% about everything :)

although I found that 97-00 prelude uses "[font="verdana][size="2"]P5P : 97-00 OBD-2 Prelude Type-S (JDM ECU)". (Info from here)[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]Just in case. write down code from the plate of ecu or just post some photo or it. Its just interesting what you got[/size][/font]

Ah maybe it was P5P and I'm not remembering properly. It definitely is JDM though as I used an online guide to decipher the code which explains the region, amount of gears and circuit board type. Mine was Japanese Domestic Market (Auto), 5 speed, than I can't remember the board. I derived this from the code 901 at the end, or something similar. I'll try to find the guide I used and post a link to it, I thought it was an interesting read and helpful to anyone buying an ECU

Linas - Just checked and it's a P5M, my bad lol. No idea where I got the 15 from :s full part number is 37820-P5M-901. I'd be interested to know what Prelude it's from if anyone knows that??

I did some searching and found a little info on russian site. it says:
Make: HONDA PRELUDE
Chassis: BB6
Engine Number: H22A
Number of optics: 37820-P5M-901

[font="arial][size="2"]So I believe you can sleep well today :D[/size][/font]
[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial][size="2"]Here is link for decoding ECU...
[/size][/font]
[font="arial] [/font][font="Verdana][/font][font="Verdana][/font][font="Verdana]So 901 I think means 5 gears, auto, [/font][font="Verdana]"1720" board.[/font][font="Verdana] [/font]

Good call! Will be interesting to see the difference between the BB4 ECU and BB6...

Looking forward to Friday now, my Accord hasn't been at home for a while :( will get her on axle stands and pull the exhaust system, first bit of major work I've done in weeks to that car, the Golf has taken up so much time lol

I believe that bb4 has obd1(not sure 100% but if this prelude is 93-96 year then definitely so ) and bb6 has obd2 ecu connectors. so you need obd2a or obd2b to obd1 conversion harness if using obd1 ecu. Don't know which obd2 connector is used on 5th gen prelude

As the ATR puts out 220BHP though won't the ratios be set up for a more powerful engine?

found this:

[font="Verdana]
M2B4 (JDM LSD) M2J5 (JDM) M2A4 (JDM)

1. 3.307 1. 3.307 1. 3.307
2. 1.950 2. 1.810 2. 1.950
3. 1.360 3. 1.269 3. 1.160
4. 1.034 4. 0.966 4. 1.034
5. 0.787 5. 0.787 5. 0.787
FD 4.266 FD 4.062 FD 4.266

Accord Type-R (u2Q7).
1st - 3.285
2nd - 2.090
3rd - 1.481
4th - 1.071
5th - 0.870
FD - 4.266[/font]
[font="Verdana]hope it helps :)[/font]

This is going to be truely epic thread!!!!!

P.S If you do decide to go for a different ECU i have a P28 with software (Chrome) and a harness for a OBD2 to ODB1 conversion for sale.

Hopefully it should be a good one!! Getting my Accord back home tomorrow, really excited :D

The P28 is tempting, however it'd mean losing my IABS :( I'm going to have to see how she runs with the new engine in, I'm counting on the IABS doing their job and developing some low end torque... If they're not up to scratch they'll be coming out though :p

Out of interest, I was reading an article about EGR blanking and a remap to compensate, is this available now? I think the thread was from last year sometime, might have to get on the search function :p

Oops, iPhone inflicted double post... Would a mod be able to remove that please :)

if I remember correctly IAB stays open when engine is off and closes when engine is started but no voltage on control wire. I think you should change vacuum hoses of IAB' so they stayed open all the time(disconect IAB's vacuum hose from intake and close open hole in manifold ). otherwise you will get lower performance since 4500rpm and rich afr because of low air :)

What is an IABS?

I literally have no idea?

Yeah I've got some by my bed lol. They're held open by a spring, a solenoid seems to engage the vacuum which shuts it until the RPM you mention shortly before VTEC. I don't intend to disable them though as I understand they're designed to help develop torque, the theory is they effectively alter the shape of the inlet runners providing low end torque when shut, and then opening for more top end BHP. The torque on my Accord was terrible so I'd love to be able to move in low gears lol

I believe you are saying so just for now :D But anyway. you said you have original ecu from this engine... so you will be able to operate IAb's anyway :)

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. I'm just thinking of when I want to get it tuned!!

Thanks for the help dudes.

It's here!

d866bc12.jpg

c5e61edf.jpg

Hopefully pull the old engine tomorrow, could be a while before I get the new engine in though as I have to sort through the epic wiring loom pile in the corner :s

ecbba620.jpg

Wish me luck!!