What's new

Gear Lever Surround & Cup Holder Removal

RussellS

Members
Reaction score
Car
59 Tourer i-DTEC EX
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to remove the gear lever surround (the bit with the heated seats switches) and also the drinks holder

IMG_0284.jpg

I've tried everything with no joy. I've tried tugging it in case it is just clipped in but I'm afraid to pull any harder in case I do any damage. I can't find any screws that could be holding it on either.

There are two reasons I need to do this. Firstly, I am fitting my DAB radio and I need to get an audio cable from behind the dashboard under the centre console and into the armrest storage bin to plug into the aux socket. Secondly, there is a pen stuck behind the flip up lid of the cup holder which is stoppinfg the lid opening fully.

If anyone can offer advice how to remove these items I would be very gratefull.

Russell

Hi Russ

While I cant help you remove those components, I too got a pen stuck in the drinks holder and with it, my mobile!

Easiest way I opened it was to keep toggling the door up and down and eventually there was enough room for me to slide a flat knife in through the opening to prize out the pen.

Pens now stay firmly in the door compartment!

Mines a slightly different problem. The pen has fallen down behind the lid so that the lid will open ALMOST all the way but not quite.

IMG_0286.jpg

The little bit of pink you can see above my finger is the pen. I havn't got a hope in hell of hooking it out which is why I need to remove it.

Ah I see.

Might be worth asking the dealer what elements need to be removed and then DIY at home?

Saves you damaging or breaking anything.

My link

Try this video, should help!
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, that video appears to be based on the 7th gen which is different to the 8th. However, after a bit more Googling I have come across this which seems more promising.

The 7th gen (which I had previously) had a lot more screws holding trim and facia pieces on whereas the 8th gen seems to be all plastic clips.

#A-EX: I've tried asking for advice from the dealer before. Unfortunately you need to get past the service reception first and that always seems to be a stumbling block. You can never get direct access to a mechanic.

Do a search on xcarlink and / or heated seat bulbs, one of the panels is covered there...

oh. 8th gen? My bad.

Do what I did, get chatty to the guys on the parts counter, then ask them a question. If they don't know they will get curious and go ask a techy then come back with the answer. Lol

Any joy with this Russ?
Nope, none whatsoever. I followed the guide that I linked to earlier but it didn't seem to work. All the info I can find seems to be about the US version of the accord and I think the centre console trim is different.

I'm going to try sweet talking the dealer when I can get there and see if they can point me in the right direction if not actually print out the relevent pages from the manual.
Besides removing the stuck pen I also need to get an audio cable in to the arm rest bin to plug into the Aux socket. I've got my DAB radio installed and almost ready to go except for this damn cable.

I'll keep you updated.

Russ this is the proper way to remove the cover mate.

Ok 1st thing is Lower the shift lever boot to release the hooks from the boot, then remove the shift knob.
Then to Remove the center console panel follow these instructions.
1/ Open the ashtray lid and the cigarette lighter lid.
2/ Gently pull the front edge of the panel up by hand to make a gap, and pry the panel with appropriate trim tool to detach the front clips or a small screwdriver wrapped in a cloth.
3/ With the appropriate tool, hook the edge of the panel beside the parking brake lever up to detach the clip
4/ Pull the panel up to detach the clips along the edge of the panel.

Hope this help Russ the clips will be tight 1st you remove but will be a lot easer the 2nd time.

Russ this is the proper way to remove the cover mate.

Ok 1st thing is Lower the shift lever boot to release the hooks from the boot, then remove the shift knob.
Then to Remove the center console panel follow these instructions.
1/ Open the ashtray lid and the cigarette lighter lid.
2/ Gently pull the front edge of the panel up by hand to make a gap, and pry the panel with appropriate trim tool to detach the front clips or a small screwdriver wrapped in a cloth.
3/ With the appropriate tool, hook the edge of the panel beside the parking brake lever up to detach the clip
4/ Pull the panel up to detach the clips along the edge of the panel.

Hope this help Russ the clips will be tight 1st you remove but will be a lot easer the 2nd time.
Thanks for that Brett, I did try pulling up the front edge of the panel but without being sure I was doing the right thing I was afraid to pull too hard. I will give it another go tomorrow.

On the other trim panels I have removed I have put some Vaseline on the clips before replacing them which makes them a damn site easier to remove the next time.

Brett. You, my man, are an absolute star. Armed with your advice I managed to get it freed this morning. The trapped pen is now removed and I am in the process of feeding the audio cable into the storage bin.
The only thing I couldn't do was to free the shift lever boot. But it didn't matter as I could just leave it connected and rotate the whole ***embly to tgive me access.

Those plastic clips really are a sod to free the first time though. As I said before, a little Vaseline will make sure they are easier next time though.

Thanks again

Russell

Great stuff mate glad its sorted.I think to release the gear stick there are 2 sorts.
A type s and a EX I think the type S you need to use a 17mm spanner from memory.

Great stuff mate glad its sorted.I think to release the gear stick there are 2 sorts.
A type s and a EX I think the type S you need to use a 17mm spanner from memory.
That's it. All done now. My cup holder lid opens fully and I have my DAB radio installed and working. I'm a happy bunny.

Oh, and the dealer I bought the car from called me today to say they have found the second key for my car so that will save me £230 from Honda for a replacement. Happy days.

I've done a write up on the DAB radio install in the 8th gen modifying section here

My cup holder doesn't lift up nearly enough to put a cup in. I would say it only opens about 45 degrees. Although I can't see anything down the side, could this mean something is trapped and stopping normal operation?

My cup holder doesn't lift up nearly enough to put a cup in. I would say it only opens about 45 degrees. Although I can't see anything down the side, could this mean something is trapped and stopping normal operation?

Almost certainly yes, you have a blockage of some sort because the lid should open up fully.

I have the same issue
Got my 8th Jen from the UK (Ash from the forums)
Door won't go back all the way. Two pens stuck in it.
Such a pain in the ***

Well removed the centre console thanks to above instructions.
Got three pens out of the cup holder!
sweet

I think the clue is in the name. Cup holders, lol. I know it's tempting to put mobiles, pens, fuel receipts and car park tickets but shoe me the coffee.

Have a look on Acurazine, lots of diy guides on there.

Hi

I'm trying to remove the console to remove the worn gearshift boot, however the rear of the console where it joins the armrest bin seems quite securely fixed and can't be released (the clips forward of this can be released), I'm wary of pulling too hard and breaking something.

Does it release up, or forward? Anything else I should do?

Thanks

I did my new gaitor a couple of months ago. The gear knob just unscrews then I think the gaitor surround just pulls off.

The gaitor is glued and stapled to the plastic surround, but I didn't have a stapler that would go through the plastic. I found that super glue was great to stick the gaitor to the plastic, just watch you don't glue yourself to it aswell.

Once you drop the gater from the bottom of the gear stick you can unscrew the gear knob.
Then open the ashtray and cig lighter cover and gently pull up the cover.
Underneath there are 4 small screws that hold the plastic gater surround to the cover.
Undo and the hole lot comes out and just change for your new gater.