What's new

Genuine Fuel Filter & P1237 DTC

dl0205

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hi chaps

Had 6th year / 75k service carried out today with all genuine filters and fluids purchased from Holdcroft Honda. When I collected the car and drove home the car was very sluggish and unresponsive and when I tried to push the car above 3000 rpm the EML came on. My initial thought was the fuel filter (even though it's a genuine Denso filter). When I got home I used my OBDII reader and the fault code was P1237 which is Low Turbo Pressure. Having returned the car to the Honda service agent, they put it on the HDS and it confirmed the same code.

I spoke to the mechanic about the fuel filter and he wasn't convinced that was the problem as the HDS showed P1237. I mentioned that if the filter is not fitted properly this can cause problems. He then stated that he had done lots of these and had never had a problem, he also stated that the fuel filter was self bleeding so no air should be in the system.

He does agree that the fuel filter should be replaced to see if this cures the problem as it seems like an extremely bad coincidence that the problem was only there after the service (they are going to replace it at cost to them, which I thought was quite reasonable as they did supply the parts).

The only other thing it could be is the IMRC solenoid valve which in the past I have had a P2004 error code but no problems with the cars drive ability, but I'm not convinced it is this or the EGR Valve as again this would be extremely coincidental.

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome before I return to the garage tomorrow just in case I've overlooked something.

Cheers chaps

It's the fuel filter mate, 100%.

See this thread if you don't believe me and read the last few posts

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8607-flashing-glow-plugs/

Deff sounds like the ff mate

Ive just had same prob m8 sounds like ff only diffrence was i had flashing glowplug sign same code quick change of ff and be sorted

Get the fuel filter reinstalled and all should be fine.

I would expect it have a bleed screw right? I know the pre facelift have one.

Thanks for the support Dave and Shabz but having taken the car back to the garage they replaced the fuel filter for another genuine denso filter, but as soon as I left the garage the car was still not right. I discussed with the mechanic what the next coarse of action should be and we both agreed that it is probably the Turbo Control Solenoid. So I left this garage and had to take the car for an MOT and cleared the DTC just before (thankfully the car passed with flying colours).

So this afternoon I've gone through several different scenarios which have included running the car with the MAF sensor disconnected and the IMRC solenoid disconnected these throwing there respective DTC's but not curing the issue. The final step I took was to swap the the Turbo Control Solenoid with the EGR Control Solenoid to see if the EGR would throw a code which low and behold it did, a P1401 to be more specific. The car was in limp home mode but after a few attempts at clearing the code I managed to take the car for a short squirt up the run with the engine / turbo responding as normal. So this would lead me to believe the Turbo Control Solenoid is the cause of my problems unless you chaps have any different ideas.
There is a possibility that this was damaged during the fuel filter change but I have no way of proving this. The mechanic did say that these sometimes leak so smothered it with sealant to see if that would help but it didn't. He also stated that he didn't take the engine cover off when servicing the car but when I took the cover off to work on the car this afternoon one of the nuts for the cover had been cross threaded! Anyway I'll call the garage again in the morning to see if they can help with regards to the solenoid, failing that I'll order one from Holdcoft Honda.

Thanks for the support Dave and Shabz but having taken the car back to the garage they replaced the fuel filter for another genuine denso filter, but as soon as I left the garage the car was still not right. I discussed with the mechanic what the next coarse of action should be and we both agreed that it is probably the Turbo Control Solenoid. So I left this garage and had to take the car for an MOT and cleared the DTC just before (thankfully the car passed with flying colours).

So this afternoon I've gone through several different scenarios which have included running the car with the MAF sensor disconnected and the IMRC solenoid disconnected these throwing there respective DTC's but not curing the issue. The final step I took was to swap the the Turbo Control Solenoid with the EGR Control Solenoid to see if the EGR would throw a code which low and behold it did, a P1401 to be more specific. The car was in limp home mode but after a few attempts at clearing the code I managed to take the car for a short squirt up the run with the engine / turbo responding as normal. So this would lead me to believe the Turbo Control Solenoid is the cause of my problems unless you chaps have any different ideas.
There is a possibility that this was damaged during the fuel filter change but I have no way of proving this. The mechanic did say that these sometimes leak so smothered it with sealant to see if that would help but it didn't. He also stated that he didn't take the engine cover off when servicing the car but when I took the cover off to work on the car this afternoon one of the nuts for the cover had been cross threaded! Anyway I'll call the garage again in the morning to see if they can help with regards to the solenoid, failing that I'll order one from Holdcoft Honda.

I suppose that is the beauty about having two of the same solenoids on the face-lift.

Does seem a bit suspicious that it seemed to happen straight after the service, the other thought process would have been if the vac lines had been disconnected for some reason and put back incorrectly or they have knocked the filter on the top of the solenoid. Now it is covered in sealant the filter is goosed after all if it was meant to be blocked then why would a filter be there in the first place.
The filter does pull off, but be careful it can easily break the stem, maybe take the filter off and stretch a piece of your other half's old tights over and see how it runs.

they are not that cheap to replace but once your satisfied that it is goosed, then before you order a new one you could try a quick spray down the port with something like WD40, but don't drown it, just in case something is sticking, but do it on the basis on you are replacing it anyway so what is to lose.

I suppose that is the beauty about having two of the same solenoids on the face-lift.

Does seem a bit suspicious that it seemed to happen straight after the service, the other thought process would have been if the vac lines had been disconnected for some reason and put back incorrectly or they have knocked the filter on the top of the solenoid. Now it is covered in sealant the filter is goosed after all if it was meant to be blocked then why would a filter be there in the first place.
The filter does pull off, but be careful it can easily break the stem, maybe take the filter off and stretch a piece of your other half's old tights over and see how it runs.

they are not that cheap to replace but once your satisfied that it is goosed, then before you order a new one you could try a quick spray down the port with something like WD40, but don't drown it, just in case something is sticking, but do it on the basis on you are replacing it anyway so what is to lose.
Cheers Carl, I've already tried what you mentioned and there is no difference so it looks like I'll be ordering a new solenoid then.

Cheers Carl, I've already tried what you mentioned and there is no difference so it looks like I'll be ordering a new solenoid then.

Looks that way.

Maybe worth trying to source one from a scrappers if not too expensive, I seem to recall someone getting one for around £40, but you would need to really know the mileage of the car and ideally why it is in the yard in the first place.

Well I ordered a new Solenoid (EVR Valve) from Holdcroft today should be here Monday

Received the EVR valve today and it would appear to have cured my issues.

Congratulations,

Still a bit of coincidence it just going all of a sudden, but at least it is fixed

Congratulations,

Still a bit of coincidence it just going all of a sudden, but at least it is fixed
My thoughts exactly. I was a bit cheesed off but I'm now relieved that the problem would appear to be sorted now