What's new

2011 Accord 2.2 i-Dtec ES GT Mpg

Dapobicky

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 I-Dtec
Hi Every,

I am new to this forum and I really need your help. I just bought a used 2011 Accord 2.2 I-Dtec ES GT auto with just 4k on the clock with the hope that my mpg will be around the combined 46mpg as I do 80% of my daily journey on the motorway. I have been driving this lovely car for a few days now but to my amazement, I barely make 40mpg on it despite driving 60-70mph and not exceeding the legal speed limit. Is this a general observation with this diesel engine? Or is something wrong with the car?

I have less than 10 days to decide if I am keeping the car or not. Hence your opinion, based on experience will go a long way in helping me with my decision.

Kindly Help!!!

Alexa

Welcome to TA this does seem low MPG but the Auto box will always be lower MPG than a manual.
Also if you only have 4K on the clock the car engine will be very new and tight so will improve as its being run in.

Welcome to TA this does seem low MPG but the Auto box will always be lower MPG than a manual.
Also if you only have 4K on the clock the car engine will be very new and tight so will improve as its being run in.
Thank you Brett. I will patiently wait to read from other members of this great forum who drive similar model, engine and fuel and transmission before making my mind up.

Thank you Brett. I will patiently wait to read from other members of this great forum who drive similar model, engine and fuel and transmission before making my mind up.
No probs there are a few 2.2 I-Dtec members hear so they will have better hand in experience with MPG.As you can see i drive a 2.4 8th gen and lucky to get 30 mpg :lol:

This might help as well.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4615-mpg-results/&sa=U&ei=b_CaT8KyM8Kw0QW2i6ztDg&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEweO0dsJp1wZy3ODAiwY1tMUeCRg

Also Alexa check the normal things like tyre pressure as when i brought my 8th gen from a London dealers the psi was wrong.
The tyres were 33psi all round and should be 38 psi front and 35 psi rear for normal driving with 18" Wheels.Also the trip computer is not always 100% so a manual calculation will be more accurate.

Thank you again Brett. 2.2 idtec auto owners, please kindly help!!!!!!!

My 2.2 idtec ex manual tourer with a manual box with 16000 miles covered averages about 43-45 mpg on motorways keeping to the speed limit, that's doing a manual calculation on refueling, last year when touring Brittany it average 50+ but since returning its more back to what I quoted, and short journeys are about 41-43 mpg, sometimes I occasionally notice a big drop in fuel consumption for a short period duration approx 10-15 miles or so which I possibly believe could be the diesel particulate filter being burnt clean even though I have never seen the diesel particulate filter warning light come on, whilst I don't think my fuel consumption is particularly great when I compare to my previous car VW passat 1.9 TDi which averaged 53 - 60 mpg the lower figure being urban, but I have had no regrets whatsoever, the comfort,quality and reliability also a lot more powerful engine easily win in my judgement,I hope this helps with your decision.

Great feedback there Dave thanks for helping new members

I have a typeS and for the first couple of years i going to the trip was getting around 35-40 mixed use but long motorway trips was getting about 45. But I expected this as its the more powerful then the normal 2.2 I dtec. But since having a remap done getting about 46 all the time which I think is great. As brett said about the run in time I did see a small change as the car got more miles on it.

also different fuels will give either better mpgs or worse. it also might be worth resetting the mpg calculator on the motor way and see if the figures change,i have done this on the 7gen and if left on the old mpg figures it increases very slowly,but if i reset it to bring it 00.0MPG it actually starts to calculate the mpg figures of the current journey(example: if you had 28mpg on a previous journey,then when you get on the motorway the trip computer seems to slowly climb to figures around the 35-37mpg figures,while if you reset it on the journey itself,it will give you fresh figures)hope this helps,and hope it makes scene bud(sorry if it doesnt...it is 12at night lol :lol:)

Thanks everyone for the brilliant piece of advice. I will keep them in mind. In summary, what I am hearing is that 40mpg is not unheard of in this model and transmission but I should personally find a way to manage it to get better result. Many thanks

I'm not that surprised at 40mpg. You just have to look at the CO2 rating of the 2.2 auto (high for a diesel) and the early magazine reports to see that many people get similar mpg. It was one of the reasons that we bought a 2.4 petrol - there isn't that much between them and a normally aspirated Honda should have far less to go wrong. For comparison my 3.0V6 Merc diesel can do 40-42mpg on the motorway, but it helps that it's doing 1700-1800rpm at 70mph.

Tony

Thank you again Brett. 2.2 idtec auto owners, please kindly help!!!!!!!

I can average 40-44mpg at best with my auto and its covered 35K. However if you do a old school check at the pump and make a manual calculation i find the car runs close to 50mpg - don't always believe the screen!!

Beware short hops in the car and this thing will drink a tank on diesel in no time at all!

Get a good re-map and you will get a bit more mpg and a lot more ponies out of the IDTEC.

Hi,

I have a 2009 Auto EX iDTEC tourer and am running at 57,000 miles on the clock. My daily journey is 44 miles round trip, mostly motorway and at the pump I am getting 42mpg, travelling at the speed limit mostly and this is constant over the last 30,000 miles. I have had up to 44/45mpg on a long drag to Liverpool from Kent. Using the ADAS system seems to improve economy, for some reason.

From owners reports on the Whatcar website this is similar to most Audi A4/A6 diesel models. Only BMW seem to be better, and Jags much worse. Given the level of comfort I don't think this is too bad.

I think Honda could do better on the eco front though - they seem to be falling behind the class leaders in this respect. Not good from a company with such good engineering heritage.

Jason

Some interesting bits of feedback here :)

I've had my 09 accord auto for two weeks now done approx 1400 miles so far. (29500 on the car)
The driving is probably mixed 50/50 motorway and town stop start,averaging around 36-37 so far, far better than my disco which averaged 24 :(
I will get a remap done at some stage with Fahad as hes only up the road from me.

Hi,

I have a 2009 Auto EX iDTEC tourer and am running at 57,000 miles on the clock. My daily journey is 44 miles round trip, mostly motorway and at the pump I am getting 42mpg, travelling at the speed limit mostly and this is constant over the last 30,000 miles. I have had up to 44/45mpg on a long drag to Liverpool from Kent. Using the ADAS system seems to improve economy, for some reason.

From owners reports on the Whatcar website this is similar to most Audi A4/A6 diesel models. Only BMW seem to be better, and Jags much worse. Given the level of comfort I don't think this is too bad.

I think Honda could do better on the eco front though - they seem to be falling behind the class leaders in this respect. Not good from a company with such good engineering heritage.

Jason
honda are trying to their bit bud, they bring down the overall emissions by adding diesel to thier production line, with honda N/A models, they will continually be higher on emissions than most cars,reason why the new civic type-r could not make it uk(been told couldnt keep it under the uk emissions limit :( )i can see the emissions on the diesels getting better though..considering honda have just really gotten into the diesel side of things,they aint done too bad :)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/RealMpg/Results?manufacturer=honda

I'd lIke to see a hybrid petrol/electric Accord in the 9th Gen. 1.6 with 130bhp + 30hp electric motor = 160bhp, 45MPG and no dpf :) - mind you if I'm making a wish list I'd probably stick a 70hp electric motor in there!

My 2.2 idtec ex manual tourer with a manual box with 16000 miles covered averages about 43-45 mpg on motorways keeping to the speed limit
/snip

Got the type s version with manual box (9000ish miles) and after 1st tank full it looks like its doing around the 46-48 mark with mixed driving which is a better than the last car (36 mpg) :D