What's new

1999 Honda Accord 2.0i 16V VTEC (F20B6) diagnostics interface

dandreye

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2L MT (CL7)
Hi All,

My 5-year old ELM 327 USB scanner has no problems talking to my 1999 Honda Acccord 2.0i 16V VTEC (engine F20B6) ECU even though it displays something like "non-OBDII compatible, while exactly same looking Bluetooth scanner I've just bought at Ebay is unable to, reporting something like "Unable to talk to ECU". The advert of the former scanner contains "V1.3" while the one of the latter scanner contains "V2.1". If anyone is familiar with these could you please explain me the difference? Is there any chance to find a Bluetooth or WiFi scanner suitable for my car? In particular would this one work by chance? (wondering if there's a fundamental difference between V1.x and V2.x) The sellers I've asked so far have no clue.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311335452827

Many thanks in advance!

The 6th gen do have OBD2, mine is an OBD2, not sure on the difference between the elm327, I have one but dont know what version it is.

^ I'm sure that I read somewhere on TA that it isn't OBD-2 , although it can be read by some OBD-2 readers

I suppose OBD2 support is year dependent in our Accords. Just trying to find a wireless scanner that would work.

The USB one that does looks exactly like this, it was just an earlier version back then (V1.3 or V1.4):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181648381328

So I was hoping that V1.5 (unlike V2.1) is perhaps the same functionality.

For wireless all you need is a bluetooth, I have the Elm 327 bluetooth obd2, its like a blue colour and fairlyc ompact, hooks up to an android vua bluetooth for use with tourque app.

freddofrog:

That's exactly where it is in my 1999 one. Still it's not OBD2, at least that's what my USB scanner that can talk to it returns. Meanwhile my Bluetooth scanner has no problems talking to a proper OBD2 car (just tested on a 2007 BMW 318i), so it's clearly not a faulty one, probably just with different firmware.

exec:

Yes it's a Bluetooth one I'm after (WiFi would probably work likewise well). Just wish I also bought a Bluetooth one back in 2010: perhaps they'd both be compatible.

I'm not sure if your car has OBD-2 or not, I'm just going by things I've read on this forum. If your car is not OBD-2, then some OBD-2 readers will work with it, and some will not.