What's new

2.0 i-vtec model performance

dbritt

Reaction score
Car
Honda C-RV
Have read various reviews suggesting 2.0 model is under powered - over weight. Keen weights seem to be not much different with 7th gem models

Would appreciate any feedback from current owners

I have a 7th gen 2.0 and find it perfectly acceptable. its not going to rip your face off but it has no problem keeping up with traffic. its quicker than my old 2.2 Vectra and about as quick as my previous 4 cylinder 2.0 BMW 3 series. No complaints from me and I don't drive like a sissy. if you spend your time driving like a loon them get a bigger engine but if you drive normally like 90% of people them you will find the car just fine. I can't imagine the 8th gen being much different than my car to be honest.
hope this helps.

My 7th gen is a little bit faster than my Saab 2.0 low pressure turbo was, but the poor girl had done lots of miles. As said already it's not mega fast but will shift when you need it to.

I think he's looking for reviews/opinions from 8th gen owners guys.

Had a 7th Gen 2.4 Type-S a few years back - looking at an 8th gen but 2.4 too expensive to run and i-dtec too expenswive to buy - suspect a 2.0 will be fine but haven't driven one yet - my street racing days over with 3 kids now - but hate cars that can't cruise quietly on motorway...

I had a 2007 2.0 type S and found it good with good pull.

Only thing I didn't like was the lack of pull on V-tec but I think that was due to the fact I'd just come from a very highly tuned DC5

I would say it was a great car but I would test drive one and rag it through the rev range to make sure you're happy with it.

I have a 2007 CR-V with the new R20A engine that's in the 8th gen Accord. (I originally wanted an Accord, but it wasn't big enough for our growing family) Like you, I was worried beforehand that it might feel underpowered, but I can hand on heart say that it has plenty of power. (Bear in mind that the CR-V is heavier than the Accord, so it should have no problems at all in the lighter car.)

The i-VTEC engine is an absolute peach. Honda have a reputation for excellent petrol engines (and diesel of course, but petrol is where they started out), and the R series VTEC engine is simply brilliant, smooth at lower revs, with a lovely growl at higher revs. I find it very addictive to drive- I miss driving it if I haven't been in it for a few days!

I originally planned on buying a diesel, as my previous car was a diesel, but I test drove CR-Vs with both engines, fully expecting not to like the petrol at all. I loved it- it felt so smooth and linear compared to the diesel, which was a bit unnerving at first. It was very sweet. I liked the diesel a lot too, but for my purposes- low annual mileage, there was no good reason to go for it.

One thing I've noticed in nearly all the reviews of the Accord/CR-V is that the petrol engine is almost dismissed out of hand as something to buy if you can't afford the diesel. It's never considered on its own merits. Journalists are a fickle lot- both the diesel and petrol are excellent engines in their own way, and are very closely matched for power, but what the reviews don't tend to tell you is just how good the petrol is. It just has tons of character, is smooth, utterly reliable, and pretty good mpg for a petrol. The power is higher up the rev range than in a diesel, so you need to get used to where to shift as Pepster says- but once you're used to it, it's terrific fun :D

Bottom line, you need to test drive the car, but I find it has plenty of power. Previous cars have included a Golf 2.0 TDI and a Saab 9-3 lpt turbo 2.0 petrol.

There's a good overview of the engine here:
http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R20A/index.html

Edit: Forgot to add, I find it perfectly quiet on the motorway, but I suppose it depends what you're used to.

There's another good review of the Accord VTEC here:
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/road_tests/honda/honda_accord_20_ivtec_es_gt_tourer_navi_auto.aspx