What's new

2.2 cdti, 300k miles, clutch gone - worth fixing?

AntHill Mob

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2cdti mega tourer
Hi
I used to have a 2.0 exec tourer until a few years ago which was a dream until unknown water ingress in the cabin led to mould, smell and sad face emojis all round.
Recently, after my Civic IMA failed to MoT and seemed to be heading for the eternal scrap heap, I had a mad fit of nostalgia and bought a cheap 2.2 tourer but brain problems (genuinely, covid brain fog on top of pre-existing brain damage) mean that I failed on all my usual observations and common sense that I used to apply when buying a car. And so I may have got a lemon, as it needs a new clutch. Now this lump should have a dual mass flywheel DMF or a conversion but is it worth doing? My local garage are pricing up the conversion for me.
I need to get a check done, to make sure that the rest of the car is solid and nothing else is likely to die soon but I was wondering what peoples views are. I could probably get 4-500 scrap, or so I'm told currently. if all fails, I'll just have to accept a slight loss and bin it. I've never had a diesel so dont know whether the mileage is a major issue but if I spent a grand and it soldiered on for 6 or 12 months until next MoT, I'd consider that I'd got my moneys worth. Right?

Views please. Chuck your hat in and let's have your 2 pen'orth.
thanks dave

A clutch is not really a mechanical failure, it’s a wear and tear part. If that’s all it needs I would be tempted to do it and run it. Keep your costs low, just replace the clutch kit and leave flywheel if it’s good. Shop around for a reasonable labour price.

Check everything else before you take the plunge, in case you don't like the car .
Have you looked at previous MOT passes/failures ?
Is the interior clean to eat off ?
Any strange smells ?
Does the heating work ?
Spare wheel in place ?
No rot in the usual places or underneath ?

None of those Labour ULEZ taxation zones where you might be driving to ?

I would also check if the body and subrames (especially rear one) are ok. And lastly you need to remove engine undertray and check the front lower beam where all the cooling radiators sit. If they are solid i would say go for it.