What's new

2.4 or 2.0

Bootey

Members
Reaction score
Car
Peugeot
Hi, I'm new to the forum as currently looking to by a Accord but torn between the 2.4 and 2.0.

The diesel is out as only travel about 12,000miles a year and only a 9 mile journey to work.

Is there a massive difference in mpg between the two.

Looking to spend about £2500 max.

Cheers

Thanks ukcl9.

My heart says 2.4 and my head says 2.0. With a 3 year old and another on the way money will be a bit tight but sounds as if the 2.4 will be manageable.

Had a 2.0lt Passat that avg 32 which died on me then to my sins bought a 2.0hdi Peugeot 307sw as a stop gap. Had it 3 months paid £650 but dual mass is about to give in and that's without all the electrical gremlins. Now set on the accord but just need to find the right one.

As ukcl9 says the way to go it's 2.4 with maybe 15% higher costs per total than 2.0 but you have 40hp more. Well myself I didn't felt that 2.0 is under powered as I didn’t felt I need more power. Either choice you will make its better than vw or Peugeot

Thanks. Just need to find one now. There's not much about at the moment that are local. Does anyone have any links to any main dealers that sell on there part ex's

I went with the 2.4 I do similar miles to you and at 12,000 miles a year mpg really isn't something to get caught up on! Driving pleasure is the no. 1 priority for me. 150bhp IMHO doesnt quite cut it for a car of this size. Either way you decide, it'll be a massive step up from any peugeot or german VW ****. :D

2.4 for sure.
Lots of tuning potential if you later decide you need more power.

It's really not that bad at all on fuel. I used to own a Volvo S40 2.0D (Ford TDCI engine) and averaged 60-70 miles on £10. With the Accord it's 50-60 miles on £10.
In the long run you'll probably save money as Diesels tend to have more mechanical issues.

A nice Accord not too far from you: https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/honda-accord-for-sale-/1156290011

Thanks. I keep looking but haven't found the right one yet.

Not in a massive rush at the moment although not sure how much life the Dual mass in the Peugeot has left in it.

This comes up a few times a year and every time they say get the 2.4. The 2.0 has 155bhp and is NOT under powered but you do need to rev it. The 2.4 is better for relaxed (lazy?) driving and would be better on long journeys.

Coming from a 2.4 owner you'll have an easier time finding an accord if you opt for the 2.0 there always seems to be more on sale. The 2.0 engine is adequate for everyday driving imo plus factor in the reduced insurance and slightly better economy it would make sense. the only difference between the two is acceleration and economy but don't be fooled into thinking the 2.4 is an animal it's more brisk than "fast" in standard form.
I'm actually toying with the idea of selling it on soon while it's still worth something as it never gets driven I've done about 2500k in over a year!

I would recommend to test drive both 2.0 and 2.4 and you will feel the difference. What you read is just somebody's experience and that is welcomed but in the same time I do not know anyone who downgraded from 2.4, but I often hear that 2.0 owners looking for more power.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

Definitly go with the 2.4, I went for the 2.0 and although a good car I spent most of the 3 years I owned it wishing id gone for the 2.4, when I did finaly get one I wasn't dissapointed, its a much more refined and fun drive.
And I haven't noticed any more fuel expense being totaly honest.
My personal insurance I managed to get for only £55 more over the year.
I want to keep this car a long time

So I'm now the proud owner of a Honda Accord. Ended up with a 2.0 executive auto, 1 owner from new 72000 and a good amount below my budget of £2500. Tried to hold out for the 2.4 but the Peugeot had other ideas.

It'll be a fine and trusty stead. If you listen to most people you'll find they want more power no matter what they drive. The 2.4 owners say its better then 2.0 but you'll find plenty of threads on here from them asking how they can make they're car quicker lol

Bootey said:
So I'm now the proud owner of a Honda Accord. Ended up with a 2.0 executive auto, 1 owner from new 72000 and a good amount below my budget of £2500. Tried to hold out for the 2.4 but the Peugeot had other ideas.
Wicked prices. 2 years ago i paid €9000 for my 2007 2.0 executive auto with 43k miles

Iv got a 2 litre facelift (56 plate) and an 03 2.4 type s, the 2 litre feels more comfy to drive, less road noise etc and feels more refined. But I love the extra torque from the 2.4 and I'm sure it handles a lot better. Fuel wise I get around 50 miles with £10 from the 2 litre, and 45miles from the 2.4, so there really is not much difference fuel wise. Maintenance wise there are a few extra things you should know about, the clutches go around 90k iv noticed and in some cases the driveshafts can warp, also the VSA light can come on randomly. My 2 litre doesn't have vsa