What's new

2.4 Vibration - Drive Shaft Splines?

Angry Ant

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,

My 2004 2.4 Exec has 124,000 miles on it and used to only have a slight vibration shimmy passing through 24mph. Recently it has developed a violent vibration in the 55-80mph band. The vibration is worst the more accelerator is being used. If you depress the clutch the vibration stops immediately. If you allow the car to accelerate up through this band without accelerator by running down a steep grade there is no vibration. If you allow the car to deccelerate through this speed band, whilst in gear, there is no vibration. The vibration is not present under braking. The vibration is not related to engine rpm/gear at all, purely related to wheel speed. In summary, vibration occurs 55-80mph and severity is directly proportional to amount of throttle applied.

I've trawled the boards trying to decide which is the relevant solution for these symptoms. Could somebody please confirm if I need to clean and grease the splines or replace the shafts or a tripod joint, I'm not really sure and my technical knowledge is not sufficient to allow me to allocate these symptoms to a part.

Many thanks indeed!

Thank you Matt, I will start poring through that now.

As an edit to my original post, can somebody tell me how I would be sure that a set of Insane Shafts would be the solution and not a tripod joint. I have not had the chance to find work tripod joint symptoms.

Thanks

A set of Insane Shafts have been ordered from Funky Power in Ayrshire, £395 + £9.50 postage. So no need to import them directly from Anaheim in California, Funky Power deal with that, slightly cheaper from what I was able to calculate. I'll fit them and report further. Here are the exact parts with part numbers for reference ... http://insaneshafts.com/product/is-063-is-064/