What's new

2006 EX Tourer Rear Wheel Bearing Torque

Miggy

Reaction score
Car
2006 I-CTDI Ex
Hi all, I've got a query regarding the torque that should be applied to the hub nut on the rear bearings.

I'm replacing both sides and can't find a sensible torque figure that doesn't sieze the hub ***embly. I contacted a friend that works in the trade they used their car data program and suggest 64Nm. They weren't difficult to remove, so definitely not the ~130Nm torque setting like other vehicles. At 64Nm the hub rotates with a little effort and wheel rotates freely when fitted. Any more and the hub is very hard/impossible to rotate by hand.

Thanks,
Miggy

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did find this during my research. Problem is, anything much over 64Nm it goes solid.

I didn't. Only because the car data program didn't specify it. I didn't want to take two data sets and pick bits out of both. Worth undoing and re-torquing with oil applied? I don't want to damage the hub.

I don't think you will damage the hub. Try some oil as it suggests. You are using new nuts? I did a Fiat Punto rear bearing and the torque was @280 nm which I thought was crazy, had to buy a bigger torque wrench to do it.
But it was fine.

I will try the oil. When you did the Punto, the hub still rotated freely even with the high tq? My. Hub is binding.

Are you sure it's the hub binding, not the brakes? Maybe try tightening as much as you can so the hub rotates, then take it for a drive, then see if it will tighten some more and still spin freely.