What's new

3rd Gear Problem

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
I sometimes have a bit of problem selecting 3rd gear. All other gears are ok and smooth enough, its just 3rd can sometimes need an extra hard push or doesn't fully go in. Have just got the gearbox oil changed and its no different. Is there any other easy things to look at without having to take apart the box?

If the gearbox oil change hasn't helped, then have the clutch fluid changed next..

Did you use genuine Honda MTF3?

How many miles on it? Syncomesh beginning to wear? my old civic did that in reverse, then it got worst then it crunched in reversed everytime unless u selected it at idle. On my Accord duing the winter it was hard to get into first, thought it was the weather, then 1 month later clutch slave went so yeah keep an eye on that

The reason I suggested clutch fluid is that if the fluid has some moisture or air contamination, the fluid will not be compressing properly and therefore clutch not engaging/disengaging correctly or enough to make a smooth gear change..

Thanks Fahad and Marcus. Honda dealer did the fluid change, think they had MTF3 on the invoice ok, but I've also heard they use Castrol SMX-S. I was kicking myself earlier cause I was thinking I should have got the clutch fluid done as well! Cars got 74k on it but was doing it when i got it with 60k so don't think its the syncromesh (I would hope!).

Any ideas why if the fluid is starting to go why its always 3rd?

Might be doing it on all the gears, just more noticable on 3rd..

I think Waj had a similar issue recently and it was his clutch fluid. Always check the simple things first mate, golden rule B)

Hi
Mine third is more or less same as yours. I dont have to push it hard but you can feel its a bit different to other gears. It was like that from the begining, done almost 20k and nothing has changed:)
Had gearbox oil replaced 2 times, once in Poland by dealer with genuine Honda MTF3 and about a year later by Honda UK with Castrol. I wouldnt worry about it mate, unless it gets much worse.
Dan

Thanks Dan and Fahad. I'm not to bothered about it. It was just after using Alungs excellent guide to get the creaky clutch sorted, wanted to get this niggle done as well. Having said that, my last car had a tendency to do the same thing so maybe its the driver :eek:

Hi Zeek, I believe my problem was possibly due to the transmission oil change. I'm fairly sure now the Honda dealer used a Castrol oil instead of the Honda oil. The issue was far worse after the work was done. I got my local mechanic to change the oil again this time using Honda MTF and also the clutch fluid at the same time. Problem has pretty much gone away now. Hope this helps.

Zika its your gearbox oil, just change it for some fresh MTF3.

my 2006 honda accord CTDI has the same problem where the 3rd gear is a little sticky when selecting it whilst the car is cold. Once the car warms up the problem goes away. would this suggest a lack of gearbox oil?

rizwan180 said:
my 2006 honda accord CTDI has the same problem where the 3rd gear is a little sticky when selecting it whilst the car is cold. Once the car warms up the problem goes away. would this suggest a lack of gearbox oil?
It would more suggest that the fluid needs to be changed - the cost of a flush with MTF3 is small and the box will love it. When was it last done?