What's new

5F10 unknown fault code, limp mode, seeking for advice

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
Hi everyone, I am seeking for advice..

Recently I bought a 2007 2.2 i-cdi accord tourer ex. On the way home it went into limp mode after 20miles of light country road driving.

The symptoms:
After starting the engine the car runs normal, it pulls as it should for a few minutes. Then the check engine mil comes up along with the glow plug symbol and it doesn't rev above 2000rpm.
If the engine is restarted within a few minutes, then the issue is still present. However, after 15ish mins rest, the issue is gone and the car can be revved up again, pulls well for a few more minutes.
I thought it was the fuel filter when I spotted that it had a non factory one fitted. So I replaced it with a genuine one. Nothing changed, same issue.

Then I realized that there was some oil around the turbo/exhaust manifold/high pressure fuel pump. But I couldn't find the source of the leak yet.

The Delphi diagnostic software gives me the 5F10 - unknown fault code message on the engine.
Plus it says: fuel filter water level sensor--high ( since then I changed the filter however I didn't check if the level is still high).

The previous owner or the dealer managed to overfill the engine oil..5-10mm over the max sign on the dipstick. That still needs draining anyway.

The navigation unit self diagnostic says 1F4 fault is present but I guess that is not related to the engine.

Could the reason be sticking vanes or leaking egr, leaking turbo?

Could you guys please advise me on where to start?

Kind regards N.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Needs a thorough diagnostic and engine tests. Possibly fuel pressure, boost pressure or egr related yes.

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
You could try the dashboard diagnostic test, it should provide more codes that might give clues to the real issue.

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
You could try the dashboard diagnostic test, it should provide more codes that might give clues to the real issue.
Do you know by any chance where could I find a legend/key for the dashboard diagnostic? Google didn't get me anywhere.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Dashboard diagnostic won’t provide any greater insight. Does your Delphi allow you to run any functional tests?

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
Dashboard diagnostic won’t provide any greater insight. Does your Delphi allow you to run any functional tests?
Thank you F6had for getting back to me. Yup, my Delphi can run 61 real time data tests. And I am looking into getting a HIM for my freshly downloaded HDS.

With the Delphi I see the rail pressure, injector correction values, injected values, egr cycle and so on.
The one thing that seemed to be very obvious at first glance was the"Fuel filter water level: High" value. So I replaced the non OEM filter with a honda one and checked the water but I didn't see any in the drained diesel. After the swap (and a few test drives), the value was still high. So I drained it again but no water. So I disconnected the level sensor and put a jumper on the car side of the connector, which then came up in the Delphi as "fuel water level:low" but then on the dash the fuel water level High symbol came up. Did a test drive and it went into limp mode again. So I am guessing maybe the Delphi gets the fuel sensor values the other way around.

For me, the following values seemed a bit odd.
At idle speed 820rpm:
intake manifold runner control valve position @32°
intake manifold runner control valve duty @62%
Turbo boost control sensor position circuit @49%
Turbo boost control @other
EGR valve duty cycle @34.91%
The injected fuel values show discrepancy between 0.4mg to 1.2mg.

The rail pressure, well I don't know what would be ther right value but it varies between 30kpa and 100ish kpa if I am remembering correctly (this one whilst driving)

Also inside the intercooler pipe and at the swirl valve there is relatively lots of soot and oil.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
You might have a faulty water sensor, worth replacing to eliminate that. You’re looking at live data there but does your system allow you to run any functional tests?

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
You might have a faulty water sensor, worth replacing to eliminate that. You’re looking at live data there but does your system allow you to run any functional tests?
For some reason the "tick - tick" functional test option is not available on this car whilst using Delphi. Interestingly it was available on our 2008 mitsubishi outlander with the same laptop/diag tool.

Let's say I managed to activate the functional test. What would you suggest to test then?

If not sooner then maybe with my HDS HIM I could test it (if I manage to figure out which one to buy).

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
HDS will allow you to run functional tests on your injectors, turbocharger actuator, IMRC, EGR and Fuel pressure (checks high pressure pump, pressure relief valve and injectors to check the system is maintaining pressure at 3 different targets). If it fails any of these tests then you’ll have a signpost to follow..

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
HDS will allow you to run functional tests on your injectors, turbocharger actuator, IMRC, EGR and Fuel pressure (checks high pressure pump, pressure relief valve and injectors to check the system is maintaining pressure at 3 different targets). If it fails any of these tests then you’ll have a signpost to follow..
Thank you F6HAD. I'll work on getting the right diag tool then.