What's new

6th Gen Creaking from front over speed bumps

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
Hello all

I am getting a creaking sound from the front when slowing rolling over speed bumps. I am thinking it is likely to be the ARB bushes or maybe a droplink(s) on the way out. Of course it could be ball joint or shock related but did have an advisory on rear droplinks back in January

Has anyone done the front ARB bushes or drop links on the 6th gen, is there any subframe lowering required to get to the ARB bolts as the case appears to be on the 7th gen?

I might take both roll bars (front and rear) off and remove any surface corrosion and give them some paint whilst I replace the bushes(x4) and droplinks all round (x4). Anything I should be wary of except the droplink bolt fight :mad: (Plusgas, grinder and blowtorch at hand..)

cheers........

Andy

Andy the best way mate is get the car on the ramp to see for play in the bushes.
It might just be your springs creaking and nothing to worry about.

Cheers Brett

Do you think the car on axle stands and trolley jack lifting underneath the lower control arm would reveal the source of the noise? I don't have ramps but will buy if needed ;)

Give a go Andy with the front off the ground you might be able to determine the noise.

I have taken out both the front and rear ARBs for inspection and, apart from some of the bolts on the front being a bit awkward to get at, I had no problems. I didn't have to lower the front subframe and luckily none of the bolts were seized. My bushes looked OK, but to be on the safe side, I lined each one with a piece of bicycle inner tube for a really snug fit.

Cheers again guys....I'll get the front up on the axle stands and have a pry around.

I loosened off my rear ARB bush bolts just the other day too in preparation for taking it off, although I didn't have the car up or wheels off I only struggled slightly for access with one before the silencer. Hopefully the front will be fine too. B)

Steering Rack Tie-Rods wearing can cause creaking apparently. Something else to look at while you're there perhaps?

Cheers Steve..

I'll have a look there too. I guess anywhere there is a bush or ball joint is worthy of further investigation, which doesn't quite narrow it down with regards to suspension lol

Any luck finding the cause Andy?

Not had a chance yet Simon.

Its not a massive creak....yet, but its annoying to me nonetheless and I will try and track it down. Its only heard when going over speedbumps, nothing on cornering or general driving.

The droplinks are intact other the offside one has one plastic peg (of the 4 that a visible on the outside cap) missing. I don't know if that might be indicative of the drop link failing - still original all round so to be expected at that age I guess. I am still considering just doing all 4 links and ARB bushes anyway.

Andy

A little update...

I've still not been back to get my jack and stands so thought I'd have a further nosey about. This was achieved with the car grounded and wheels on, turned the wheel full lock left with just enough space to get a little pry bar in and managed to almost pop off the droplink bar at the lower control arm (offside). So full lock right to get just enough access to the nuts and soaked (still soaking the now) with 3in1 penetrating oil and wire brushed.

I think I am just going to go with Honda droplinks from Holdcroft, I need some sparks n filters anyway.

I found this ETCG vid which looks like it explains it exactly, obviously I will be looking at the balljoints and springs when I get the wheel off...worth a watch if you suspect any noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYosZGby0-I