What's new

6th Gen Ignition switch replacement guide...

hughezee

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG2 & RA6
This job is too often portrayed as a big job :rolleyes: However' this is a quick insight into the process and I think most of you will find it easy?

Firstly make sure the ignition switch is in the off position, if you have broken switch it maybe resisting the barrel movement so make sure its in the correct position.

IMAG0416_zps24de1811.jpg

IMAG0399_zpsedf79e4f.jpg

Now for safety remove negative battery terminal as shown above, its just good working practice :rolleyes:

IMAG0401_zps83fb84f3.jpg

IMAG0402_zps7bb409e9.jpg

IMAG0403_zps257fcdeb.jpg

Proceed to remove the three trim screws holding the lower cover as shown above and then loosen the steering wheel height adjustment to lowest position shown below.

IMAG0405_zpse9bf6bae.jpg

IMAG0406_zpsa4c88bac.jpg

IMAG0407_zpsedf09a57.jpg

IMAG0410_zpsa0d59a09.jpg

Squeezing corner to corner of the top cover and it should just pop off ;) as shown above and the lower cover should slide down when pulling around barrel opening shown below.

IMAG0411_zps95ff56b6.jpg

Undo the cover, this is a shield and covers the cable as goes though the column, this one was broken so I only had to remove what you see ;)

IMAG0412_zpsc0622ce1.jpg

IMAG0414_zpsb74a266b.jpg

IMAG0415_zpsc2267213.jpg

IMAG0417_zps197260c6.jpg

IMAG0418_zps9b0d7cbe.jpg

Remember their are two different types of switches, so it maybe worth checking your old one first?

IMAG0400_zps67d5fda4.jpg

Remove the leg shield from the foot well to access the connection(s) note there is small retaining nut to remove which is accessibly when the coin tray is open 7-8mm socket required and it should pull free?

IMAG0408_zps6d5d7490.jpg

IMAG0409_zps5475601b.jpg

I mentioned earlier if your cable shield is not broken there is another screw to remove its easily spotted :huh: once removed pull the switch through the passage in the column.

IMAG0419_zpsd8379e27.jpg

IMAG0420_zps935f1ac7.jpg

IMAG0423_zpsd81103f8.jpg

IMAG0425_zps3eb0ab9f.jpg

Also you may notice there are few extra wires, the car has auto lock, different alarm, LPG fitted so don't panic I did adapted the new loom as shown below :huh:

IMAG0427_zpsc058b1ce.jpg

Anyway now reverse the procedure and your done, any questions just ask ;)

Nice one mate, seems fairly simple apart from the confuzzling wiring!

Finally got around to doing this today - wouldn't have stood a chance if not for this howto!

Although I now have a "bonus screw" :rolleyes:

Great guide, Its always in the back of my mind if I need to do this in the future, great that's they'res a guide now :)

I replaced my ignition switch a few weeks ago thanks to this guide. Recently though found something that may be of use to people!

Friend has an identical age Accord to mine. He was willing to try a few things rather than pay near £70 for a replacement Honda switch.
So:
1. The Rover 45/MG ZS ignition switch which is commonly available between £15 and £40 is identical - same part numbers etc. Has the "round" keyed switch rather than the notched one (as mine does). Some seem to come with an LED but a little work can remove that (or use it if so desired!)
2. The switch in this case was actually repairable, and we verified this a couple of weeks later.
Popped the white case off the switch itself to find the insides particularly mucky. Gave it a clean up with contact cleaner (probably wd40 may do) and also re-soldered the wiring on the back, it didn't seem too good; one certainly seemed to be a dry joint. Popped the white cap back on (being careful, it's got metal gubbins in too), it only fits on one way (different sized lugs) and then refitted it to the car. Works perfectly!

Obviously take care with soldering, maybe worth a go if desperate. May not work in all cases naturally!

On which note does anyone have the part numbers for the slotted switch for people's future reference? The part no I have for the switch with the round & hole keyed one (right hand side one of the two shown above) is 35130-S1A-E51

There is no Rover dealers anymore? and doubt there would be any in Lithuania. :unsure:

Good job with that Nick.M thanks for posting the guide.

I used old one. I had Rover 600 (disassembled after crash)before I got this honda. So I knew switch there was good.

exec. We have Rover dealer. Rovers with K-series engines in our country buys genuine head screws, gaskets and belts from him. Don't know actually where he gets parts from :) But he sells only engine parts.

Hi guys glad your finding this useful ;) Anyway if you have any how-to requests just send me a P.M or email me info@hondaman.co.uk and I will post them here and my own web portal, thanks