What's new

84 Saloon Accord New Owner Seeks Answers!

allanwales

Members
Reaction score
Car
84 Accord Saloon
Hi, i've just taken ownership of an 1984 Saloon Accord, with 42'000 miles on it, and in basically brand new condition...albeit one of the questions i'd like to be answered.
Kinda new to forums, so bear with me....first question, the lacquer is coming off in various bits, how hard a job/expensive would this be to put right?
Also, i checked on my V5 and with "howmanyleft" website, and it says my car is the only one one on the road (was showing none, but i just taxed it yesterday!).
Is there any way i can get a certificate authenticating this, thus helping with the agreed value i want to make with my insurer?
And lastly, i do like the old japanese cars and do appreciate how lucky i've been in getting this car in the condition it's in (it really is in brand new condition, interior is amazing!), but my knowledge on accord's of this era is non-existent, i dare say they're just as reliable, possibly even more so than newer cars, but want to know if there's any wee common things i should be looking out for?
Thanks to everyone out there!
Allan :)

Welcome along Alan have a good look around the forum as most of your questions are answered hear.
Im not an expert but i would say the peeling lacquer would need stripping back and resprayed.

Welcome along Allan.

Get some pics up when you can and if possible some of the damaged areas, hopefully it will help with giving you some advice.

Oh and congratulations with having the only one!

Wow an Accord the same age as me. Pictures, pictures and more pictures please :D . There's an A reg hatchback Accord lives near me. So that's 83/84. But I don't ever recall seeing a saloon Accord of that age.

Welcome to TA by the way. There are a few guys here with lovely old Accords. As much as I love my 7th gen, the old Accords really have a charm about them the modern ones can't match. I'd love an early-mid 1980s Accord Aerodeck one day. Lovely cars.

morning Alan and glad you found us! sounds like you gotta time warp car matey! always liked the old school look accords....am i right in thinking that this model range had the hondamatic with kick down and the shared body/chassis shape of the triumph acclaim or am i going a bit crazy...just memories from my yoof i guess. the only thing that i was aware of in terms of niggles with this model is the madatory rust on leading edge, skirts, they have bolt on double skin wings so watch for water ingress there and dodgy filler bodges on the arhces i guess, but with so little mileage i would hope you had a straight car buddy. cheers, al :rolleyes:

Hey to all, thanks for the replies! To answer a few questions, it's not like the triumph acclaim...i had a drive in one of those once and just found it "not quite right" for me. It has a manual 5 speed gearbox also.
I've went down to the local supermarket and had the looks from people wondering why i'm taking pictures of it.....uploaded them all to flickr as i don't quite know how to do that here......here's the link : http://www.flickr.com/photos/55403300@N06/
Thanks again, one other question....note radio installed is a short/medium wave effort with one speaker....whilst this is an original feature, i would like a modern cd player for my sanity (as much as i didn't mind listening to talksport on medium wave). Question being, how do it take it out, and should i install speakers into the door cards, thus possibly ruining originality, or just make a box for my speakers and have them sit in the rear footwell?
Advice please!! :)

That's a good looking car (Y)
I think that you could just buy a Hi-Fi system and use an inverter through the cigarette lighter as a sound system as you just plug it in when you need it and you can hide it away to make the car look original also it's much cheaper than investing in a decent aftermarket system and it's a lot less hassle