What's new

8th Gen Service Reminder Codes

tompoyntz

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 2.2 iDTEC ES GT
My second service is due, and the code ***ociated with the service reminder warning on the dashboard, was originally AB, but then changed to AB2. I've just phoned my dealer, and they informed me that AB-->AB2 just means that the pollen filter will need changing too.

Firstly, does anyone have a complete list of all the possible codes, and what they mean? The manual doesn't explain about them unfortunately.

Secondly, I think it's a bit of bad design, for it to be possible for the code to change after the initial service warning has appeared. I booked the service in originally with code AB, and then I just had to ring up to tell them that the code had changed. If the code change had meant that a lot more work would be necessary for the service, it might have been necessary for the dealer to rearrange the service for a different day, which would have been really inconvenient.

Thanks forthat CJ

Makes you wonder why:

A - that wasn't in the manuals

B - The OBC couldn't just show the relevant text.

That later point is valid for us 7th Gen owners as well come to think of it.

Must be fricking small - I have read my manual cover to cover. B)

Thanks CJ. That really is useful :D

What do you think about the situation where the code can change after you book the service? Is this something that has presented a problem in your experience?
Were you saying that that was something that had been fixed/updated by a software update?

Hi Tony

After the dealer finished with the servicing they can reset the SVRS via the HDS tool. The counter for the next code automatically start to countdown, you cannot cancel the next coming code..

Honda released some software updates as well as the SVRS screen for the dash , since the screen is part of the speedo they whole thing needs to be changed for the new updates to work correctly.

Best calling your local dealer to confirm your VIN number isn't affected.I will upload the TSB information tonight

Thanks CJ. When I take the car in for its service at the end of this month, I'll ask about those updates.

I realise that the service warning is reset after the service. I just wondered if it was a problematic scenario that you'd seen before, where someone had booked their service, reported the code and the dealer had prepared to do the required work for the service. Then, when the car was brought in, the code had subsequently changed, and the dealer had to do a whole load of extra work that they hadn't planned for. Or, is it likely that after the initial code is displayed, any changes are guaranteed to be very minor, like the change in my case - the additional task of changing the pollen filter.

the problem with the svrs system is with automatic accords ONLY as it regards the changing of the automatic transmition fluid. the svrs system has its own ecu of sorts in the guage cluster and due to an error, when automatic accords are due a fluid change at 75,000miles it dies a horrible death. all affected owners should have had a letter by now but if you have an auto 8th gen have it checked on the system to see if it is outstanding.

I would still follow the 12.5k service schedule , and ask the dealer to follow that old routine as we follow on the 7th gen .

The SVRS is just a supplement aid and should not replace the normal routine..SVRS will get better with time and hopefully fully fixed on the 8th gen facelift.

Ok, thanks CJ. I was just concerned because they actually asked me what the code was on the phone, I ***umed that they wouldn't follow the normal routine. I will double check when I take it in though.

Tom how did your service go any updates for your ECU?

The service went fine thanks. There were no applicable updates. Howards Honda in Taunton are really good, so I had thought that they would have applied any updates as necessary, which turned out to be the case :ph34r:

However, my wife's 08 diesel Civic was serviced on the same day too, but since the service, the clutch has started to slip. It might just be a coincidence though, and not caused by something that they did in the service, but we need to get that checked out next. It's disappointing because her car has only done 28,000 miles. I wouldn't expect the clutch to go so soon.
I've done a bit of reading around on Diesel Civic clutches and it seems to be a common problem. I just hope that something can be done under the warranty.

you can find all the relevant info for svrs service items in the actual servive book and if you have any inquiers plz let me know i have the info to hand

I've just bought my 8th Gen on Saturday. The 12.5k 1 year service routine has been followed by the previous owner. If I continue with this and ignore the message thing on the dash (the dealer had not even reset it that I bought it from even though it was serviced last week) then will my extended warranty be ok? Is the 12.5k/1yr routine valid for the warranty?

Take your car back to the dealer and you have a choise.
Go with the service reminder or ask them to take it off and revert to the normal service schedule

Which will involve the fewest services, the service reminder system or following the 12.5k 1 year schedule?

This all depends on your type of driving.
The good thing about the service reminder is you will spred your service cost over the year.but the downside you will visit the dealers more often.

I'm gonna stick with the 12.5k 1 year option then. Might watch the indicator to see how it pans out though.

I'm gonna stick with the 12.5k 1 year option then. Might watch the indicator to see how it pans out though.
Good feedback and what you can do is get a Honda dealers to turn the function off.
But once its deactivated they cant put this back on so make sure this is what you want.

Hear you go

Symbol Maintenance Items
A Replace engine oil and oil filter
B inspection service
2 Replace dust and pollen filter
Inspect drive belt
3 Replace transmission fluid
4 Replace fuel filter
Inspect idle speed
Replace spark plugs
5 Replace engine coolant
7 Replace brake fluid
8 Replace air cleaner element
9 Inspect valve clearance[/size
]

Excellent thanks :)

I've got an AB5 - replace engine coolant. Anyone know the reason for that?

That is a A and a B service also number 5 replace engine coolant

Scott all these code will be in your service book and handbook as well.If you haven't got these then contact any Honda dealer for a replacement.

Great, just had an a/b service at Honda and now the newly reset indicator tells me 4500 miles until another service, to change the coolant it seems. if I follow the svrs system I will be at the dealers ever few months! Time to get it turned off and follow the 12month/12 thousand mile traditional way. svrs = cash cow for Honda?

Mines done 50k now done all filters I do service my cars every 5k

Oil filter
Pollen filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Brake fluid

Guys just to let you no iv had mine taken off now after 3 years and gone back to the normal service

Hear you go

Symbol Maintenance Items
A Replace engine oil and oil filter
B inspection service
2 Replace dust and pollen filter
Inspect drive belt
3 Replace transmission fluid
4 Replace fuel filter
Inspect idle speed
Replace spark plugs
5 Replace engine coolant
7 Replace brake fluid
8 Replace air cleaner element
9 Inspect valve clearance[/size
]

Sorry to bring such an old topic back up.
This system is not very bright, as it has troubles grouping the codes together. E.g. it was showing 5 in 3000km, reset that, it shows 4 in 6000km. Reset that - shows 8 in 6000km. Should've just shown 48 in 6000km... Anyway, I replaced the fuel filter, the coolant now and the air filter was replaced a while ago with the engine oil and oil filter.

Got a question on the code "4". It says fuel filter, check idle speed and replace spark plugs. Is the last point also valid for diesels? As they don't in fact have spark plus, rather glow plugs...

Sorry to bring such an old topic back up.
This system is not very bright, as it has troubles grouping the codes together. E.g. it was showing 5 in 3000km, reset that, it shows 4 in 6000km. Reset that - shows 8 in 6000km. Should've just shown 48 in 6000km... Anyway, I replaced the fuel filter, the coolant now and the air filter was replaced a while ago with the engine oil and oil filter.

Got a question on the code "4". It says fuel filter, check idle speed and replace spark plugs. Is the last point also valid for diesels? As they don't in fact have spark plus, rather glow plugs...
Replace spark plugs would be for petrol only.I don't think this applies to glow plugs on your car but I would check with your dealer.
The reason you get different codes and not all at once is to spread the cost over time as it a variable service reminder.
I've had mine taken off now and gone back to a normal yearly or 12.5k service.

brett said:
Good feedback and what you can do is get a Honda dealers to turn the function off.
But once its deactivated they cant put this back on so make sure this is what you want.
My Honda dealers wants £85 + VAT to turn mine off think i'll stick to preeing the reset button.